71 replies to this topic

#61 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

View PostAdiuvo, on 01 August 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

Until you introduce some method to actually aim LRMs they will never be used in high level play. However, allowing you to aim them would be too strong under the current LRM mechanics.

Aim, but no lock-on. Add velocity. Done.

Lock-on crutches need to go.

#62 ToxinTractor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 295 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:13 PM

Kinda miss how MWLL did their narc/tag (If missiles flew close enough to a narced target they would hone in on it, let you kinda aim around corners and such if you did it right.

#63 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:56 PM

View PostHotthedd, on 02 August 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

Aim, but no lock-on. Add velocity. Done.

Lock-on crutches need to go.

At that point, LRMs become garbage because indirect fire mode is gone and laser/AC spam is still superior.

Stop trying to make an artillery weapon into a third-rate system.

#64 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:40 PM

I have been using narcs lately and the best way to improve them would be travel speed. They are slingshot slow you have to be really close against active peekers to land one. Easy to dodge at speed and they dont tattle very long!

#65 Lorian Sunrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:47 PM

View PostSaltBeef, on 02 August 2015 - 05:40 PM, said:

I have been using narcs lately and the best way to improve them would be travel speed. They are slingshot slow you have to be really close against active peekers to land one. Easy to dodge at speed and they dont tattle very long!

This. I've been running it on my 3L lately as well because in Puglandia LRM's are everywhere.

The other suggestion I would make is drop it down to 2 tons. Its not fair on light mechs that something that can be shot down by AMS is 3 tons to equip, plus ammo tonnage.

#66 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:57 PM

My c-bill farming machine is a LRM5 Catapult, and I am getting between 400-1000 damage a game consistently in solo and group.

IMHO LRM's and LRM hunter killer teams are a mis-understood and underutilized.

LRM's are the BEST counter to lights with bad hitbox reg, and with good teamwork, can really take away the range advantage of clan weapons.

A GOOD LRM player can salvage some pretty terrible matches, even with lots of ecm as long as there are a handful of decent players to support.

If not? Well, not much anyone can do.

#67 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:29 AM

View Postwanderer, on 02 August 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

At that point, LRMs become garbage because indirect fire mode is gone and laser/AC spam is still superior.

Stop trying to make an artillery weapon into a third-rate system.

No, LRMs need indirect fire, just not automatic lock on.
It would be easy enough to have LRMs track the crosshair of the pilot. Also, with a velocity increase, they could compete as direct-fire weapons.
Auto lock-on tracking is a terrible game mechanic that gave us equally terrible implementation of ECM just to counter it.

#68 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:45 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 01 August 2015 - 02:55 PM, said:

This would make a cool quirk for a few light mechs.

Until your Pug team gets 3 lights 'spotters' with TAG that sit as far as possible from the action to 'spot' for the lone HBK-J on your team...

#69 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:06 AM

View PostAdiuvo, on 01 August 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

Until you introduce some method to actually aim LRMs they will never be used in high level play. However, allowing you to aim them would be too strong under the current LRM mechanics.
To be fair we've seen a pretty good amount of success with Jman5 as an LRM boat. He's the exception not the norm, but still it is possible to do decently with LRMs at high levels of play.

View PostMonkey Lover, on 01 August 2015 - 02:02 PM, said:

You would still need to double the damage for me to take them to a game I cared about.
Then they would be hilariously broken OP

#70 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:21 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 01 August 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

To be fair, it was incredibly obnoxious. Even a beep would be sufficient, instead of a Betty reminder every two seconds.

There already is a target lock warning...take Radar Dep.

#71 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:01 AM

Given most MWO fights average in the 250-400m range, save for the in your face Brawls, a LRM Mech with a TAG should be able to hit with punch in that same range bracket. There is no rule you have to "stand still" after launch to track missiles to target. I assume many run around and use Lasers in a fight right, what makes the TAG Laser any different, it just has to be on the target when the missiles arrive right? Keeping the reticule in the BIG RED BOX ain't so tough that moving and fighting is not viable, why does it seem to be that way with LRM's with a TAG?

As has been noted so many times over and over, it is the "stupid target" that gets hurt with LRM's, and the "smart targets" are ones that can avoid much of the damage you send their way, no matter what weapon systems you use.

So the burden of uses is really on the LRM carrier. Picking the best targets and abusing them to the fullest is the real key. :)

#72 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 04 August 2015 - 11:01 AM, said:

Given most MWO fights average in the 250-400m range, save for the in your face Brawls, a LRM Mech with a TAG should be able to hit with punch in that same range bracket. There is no rule you have to "stand still" after launch to track missiles to target. I assume many run around and use Lasers in a fight right, what makes the TAG Laser any different, it just has to be on the target when the missiles arrive right? Keeping the reticule in the BIG RED BOX ain't so tough that moving and fighting is not viable, why does it seem to be that way with LRM's with a TAG?

As has been noted so many times over and over, it is the "stupid target" that gets hurt with LRM's, and the "smart targets" are ones that can avoid much of the damage you send their way, no matter what weapon systems you use.

So the burden of uses is really on the LRM carrier. Picking the best targets and abusing them to the fullest is the real key. :)

Except there's no reason to take LRMs over direct fire weapons when you're fighting in the 250-400m range. Ironically, that is where LRMs do their best work...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users