Cw, Clans, And Mercs.

8 replies to this topic

#1 SolVali

• PipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:53 AM

I have not yet joined a clan/unit, as i'm going to get my mechs skilled first.

1. Are units quite strict about the mechs you use? Or don't they care so long as you bring 4? I was going to bring 4 mad dogs for clan, and 4 quickdraws for IS.

2. Are clans/units a bit awkward about you leaving to join another faction, say to level up rank?

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:07 AM

View PostVirarasa, on 03 August 2015 - 09:53 AM, said:

1. Are units quite strict about the mechs you use? Or don't they care so long as you bring 4? I was going to bring 4 mad dogs for clan, and 4 quickdraws for IS.

2. Are clans/units a bit awkward about you leaving to join another faction, say to level up rank?

There are as many types of units as there are numbers of units. They're just groups of people, like guilds in WoW - you've got your casual guilds, your hardcore guilds, your raiding guilds, your chatty social guilds... Likewise, there are all kinds of different units. Ultimately, no two are the same.

Really, though, the only ones who are going to be very specific about what you bring to CW aren't likely to be recruiting new players either, so I wouldn't worry much about that anyways.

#3 ProfessorD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:13 AM

All units are different. There's no general rule about what any given unit will ask of you. You need to find the unit leader, or the unit's website, and ask them.

1. Some units will request particular sets of chassis or builds for CW. For the most part, they will be making those requests for the sake of the group performing well, although some will make overbearing request just to feel like a boss or be a jerk. Some won't do any of that.

2. Some units probably wouldn't want to continue considering you a member if you left to join another faction. Some would be totally cool with it.

#4 Detriitus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 105 posts
  • LocationA long time ago in a galaxy far less explored

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:00 AM

In case you didn't realize that yet: You can pick a game faction (clan or IS) and play Community Warfare without joining an actual player unit. It's harder to do that compared to only dropping with unit mates, but that way you can test your stuff or maybe get the rank you want.

Also: There are many units that switch factions together for different contracts. Find the right one and you don't have to leave the unit at all.

#5 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:26 AM

Don't worry to much about your drop deck, when you are new to CW.
There are a few general hints what every unit would like to see.
Get at least one ECM Mech for your drop deck, don't use Assaults until you are VERY good with them and learn the maps in /home/testinggrounds
Next thing is, most Units are bound to either CLAN or InnerSphere.
For the sake of beeing economic effective I would advise you to choose one side, since your equip isn't exchangable between Clan and IS Mechs.

#6 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:22 AM

there is many groups out there of many flavors, what are you looking for ?

a competitive team, a casual group or the fluff bunnies hideout.

I did start a casual group aligned with House Kurita and players can choose whatever rocks their boat ( salvaging a mech happens all the time in the BT universe anyways ) One of my best pal play as a clanner and still play with us.

there is no actual wrong way to play, your way is the best.

Edited by TheLuc, 04 August 2015 - 03:22 AM.

#7 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:05 AM

Just find a group you get a long with.

1) You generally be in the same time zone of play.
2) You should get along with them.

Outside of those two anything goes. Some groups will accept people with trial mechs and help them train up and get better while others will have stricter requirements.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:32 AM

View PostVirarasa, on 03 August 2015 - 09:53 AM, said:

"clan" as you've used it and "Clan" as is typically used in MWO are two different things. I think "units" or "groups" would encompass the meaning you seek.

In MWO by technicality, we still don't have proper "mercenaries" or, by the same token we technically don't have proper Inner Sphere mechwarriors. We simply have "sign up sheets" and a time period to serve.

I suppose we have the mercs as defined by PGI; however beyond a "permanent" contract, we don't really have "loyalists".. I guess we have some traits of each. Either way I feel it is very incomplete... but such is to be expected since CW is still in Beta.

What was said to come.

That said:
You have a three-tier choice ahead of you.
  • 1) The first choice is between the two overall groups: Inner Sphere (IS) or The Clans.
    • This determines whether you can use Inner Sphere mechs or Clan mechs.
  • 2) The second choice is whether to be independent, or to join a group.
    • This is whether you feel like trying to join a group of players or not. I set this as the second choice because you will have regrets if you choose the faction before you decide this (or at least a delay in waiting for your faction contract to run out).
  • 3) The third choice is between which faction of which overarching group. For the IS it is FRR (Rassalhague), CC (Liao), LC (Steiner), DC (Kurita), FWL (Marik) with CS (Comstar/PGI) as an unselectable faction. For the Clans you have (currently attacking) Wolf, Jade Falcon, Smoke Jaguar and Ghost Bear.
This game is absolutely terrible at feeding you the lore, so please refer to these if you are interested in more than just what flag you carry:

For Inner Sphere factions:

For Clans (including those we haven't seen yet).

Edited by Koniving, 04 August 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:37 AM

(Far as units, some can be. But this is true of any guild. Some groups will swap between teams to go for the best pay. Some to collect rewards. Some will never change sides -- ever. Ask around. We have a forum dedicated to this in here.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users