Procedurally Generated Maps... Work

236 replies to this topic

#201 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:15 PM

Elite Dangerous is everything mwo will never be.

Currently working mission in Caucuma for some friends, nice system, everything you want is close at hand if you're tired of powerplay. Katamari group owns it, renegade/disillusioned Star Citizen players mostly.

Grinding hazres in a Vulture, saving space ducats to get a FDL. FDL looks amazing after the last patch. I love my Vulture, she's a nimble little minx and while I can out-maneuver anything I can't out-gun she lacks the firepower to finish kills in PvP when someone goes to run. Need something that will finish the kill before they can jump.

ED is visually stunning. I have A Hauler fit for exploration (no guns, no shields but a good jump range and it cost like 3 million to put together) and was putting my name on stars between Fed space and The Veil Nebula, landing and exploring all the while. I collected all 300 units of micro resources! I had to keep synthing and using fuel or repairs to use up common materials to make room for rare ones.

It's in a whole other scale of gameplay than mwo. Would mwo benefit from pg maps? Oh hell yes. I wish mwo was as visually stunning as ED. That's just not a reasonable expectation though.

Edited by MischiefSC, 29 December 2015 - 06:16 PM.

#202 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:21 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 29 December 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

If another company comes along and proves they can cater to the needs of this community better, whether its by offering a mechwarrior game after 2020, or a new IP altogether, PGI will go the way of the dinosaur, but if PGI can prove it is capable of broadening its skillset and delivering quality content much faster and in greater quantities than it does now, then it will continue to control this segment of the market. That's how this works.

tell that to living legends lol

View PostMischiefSC, on 29 December 2015 - 06:15 PM, said:

That's just not a reasonable expectation though.

yes because its higher than minimally viable sadly

#203 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:01 PM

I would just like to walk around and NOT be stuck with like 15 FPS, so laggy I cant shoot.

I cant even take those AI on the battlegrounds in the tutorial cuz the River City map is so ******* laggy I cant do anything. My aim is stuttery and jittery and not at all smooth, taking me 4x as long to get a single shot off, then its not even in the CT.

What the hell is with Cryengine? HOw I wish OE and PGI woulda used the Planetside 2 engine...w/e one that was. It ran so much better, even on my ******** older PC...even on my older PC I got 25-35FPS almost all the time. This new PC in that game gets 50-70FPS no issue. But these Cryengine games.....15-20-25-30-35-40-50-55-60, back tro 10, then 19, then 340, then 40...its like what the **** gives!? Cryengine SUCKS ***.

#204 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:16 PM

"PROCEDURALLY GENERATED MAPS... WORK"

... you know what else works?

Hiring more map artists.

#205 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:56 PM

View PostTarogato, on 29 December 2015 - 07:16 PM, said:

"PROCEDURALLY GENERATED MAPS... WORK"

... you know what else works?

Hiring more map artists.

for christ's sake they dont need more map artists they need more programmers. they can't even change their weapon code because they lack the expertise and manpower to do it.

#206 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts
  • LocationOrion's Bible Belt

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:03 PM

The expense can't be used as an excuse. At one point PGI told us it cost 500k to make a single map. I'm sure that price has gone down as they reuse bits and pieces, but its still probably up there. How much money would it take to cram this into the existing system? How much do they lose because of stale gameplay? Questions they need to ask themselves.

#207 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:08 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 29 December 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

for christ's sake they dont need more map artists they need more programmers. they can't even change their weapon code because they lack the expertise and manpower to do it.

That's funny cuz it's true.

#208 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:11 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 29 December 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

for christ's sake they dont need more map artists they need more programmers.

You honestly think we have enough maps?

#209 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:14 PM

View PostTarogato, on 29 December 2015 - 08:11 PM, said:

You honestly think we have enough maps?

No, and if they really cared they'd let us make the maps, but they're obsessed with maintaining complete control over every little bit of the game. Its why we get no player made content, its why paul sledgehammer nerfs every weapon people use to kill him.

Even so, I dont care how few maps we have when we have a tangled web of hideous bandaid fixes and hypercomplex frankencoded systems that none of their 3(ish) programmers know how to fix. THEY ARE GAME DEVELOPERS. THEY. NEED. PROGRAMMERS.

Considering they wont ever let us touch map making, procedural generation is the next best thing, and beyond that, they NEED programmers.

Have i said they need programmers enough?

Edited by pbiggz, 29 December 2015 - 08:15 PM.

#210 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:22 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 29 December 2015 - 08:14 PM, said:

One more time!

#211 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:30 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 29 December 2015 - 08:22 PM, said:

View Postpbiggz, on 29 December 2015 - 08:14 PM, said:

One more time!

THEY NEED MORE PROGRAMMERS!

and not just any programmer... someone with game development experience. Some one who actually PLAYs the game as well as programming it.

#212 Bernard Matthaios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:37 PM

I'm all for procedural generated maps.

CRYSDK has a random map button, with sliders and all. It creates plain, no frills map. At the touch of a button. There are 1000 of planets in the Inner Sphere. It's gonna be a LONG time to get a living universe feel for CW. Whats holding them back?

If its... Money. I would gladly throw money at map packs. If its...Time. Let the community have a chance to prove themselves at map making. If it's... Man power. Procedural generated maps just makes too much sense.

Oh, and they need more programmers!!!

Edited by Bernard Matthaios, 29 December 2015 - 08:38 PM.

#213 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:02 PM

They don't need to be this slow at map design. They can change their map philosophy and find ways to speed up production with simpler terrain. Their current ways of making maps are extremely time-intensive and prone to bugs.

#214 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:05 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 29 December 2015 - 06:15 PM, said:

Elite Dangerous is everything mwo will never be.

Currently working mission in Caucuma for some friends, nice system, everything you want is close at hand if you're tired of powerplay. Katamari group owns it, renegade/disillusioned Star Citizen players mostly.

Grinding hazres in a Vulture, saving space ducats to get a FDL. FDL looks amazing after the last patch. I love my Vulture, she's a nimble little minx and while I can out-maneuver anything I can't out-gun she lacks the firepower to finish kills in PvP when someone goes to run. Need something that will finish the kill before they can jump.

ED is visually stunning. I have A Hauler fit for exploration (no guns, no shields but a good jump range and it cost like 3 million to put together) and was putting my name on stars between Fed space and The Veil Nebula, landing and exploring all the while. I collected all 300 units of micro resources! I had to keep synthing and using fuel or repairs to use up common materials to make room for rare ones.

It's in a whole other scale of gameplay than mwo. Would mwo benefit from pg maps? Oh hell yes. I wish mwo was as visually stunning as ED. That's just not a reasonable expectation though.

My Clipper is my favorite, narrowly replacing my all time favorite, the Cobra MK III. But... as of late... my Cobra MK IV is my guilty pleasure.

I stripped all shields off it, crammed it full of hull replacement packages, shoehorned five railguns on it and stuffed it with heatsinks. It rips things apart in PvP.

I was using double rails and triple torpedoes initially but the bang bang is only good for one salvo and then it was a 50k reload for the ammo. It was... expensive. But man, when I dropped their shields and dropped three fish in the black water nipping at their ankles... the look on their face was priceless. The words that came out of their mouth after their FDL was beaten by a puny Cobra... well, let's just say there is hardly a sweeter sound in the Galaxy.

:)

But, it is a flying brick. It can't pira--err... collect taxes worth a darn. For that, I have my Clipper. People love being taxed with style and poise.

#215 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:09 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 29 December 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

tell that to living legends lol

yes because its higher than minimally viable sadly

Well had the guys doing that mod gone to Microsoft, with a plan for the IP, they might have gotten the license....

#216 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:15 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 29 December 2015 - 09:05 PM, said:

My Clipper is my favorite, narrowly replacing my all time favorite, the Cobra MK III. But... as of late... my Cobra MK IV is my guilty pleasure.

I stripped all shields off it, crammed it full of hull replacement packages, shoehorned five railguns on it and stuffed it with heatsinks. It rips things apart in PvP.

I was using double rails and triple torpedoes initially but the bang bang is only good for one salvo and then it was a 50k reload for the ammo. It was... expensive. But man, when I dropped their shields and dropped three fish in the black water nipping at their ankles... the look on their face was priceless. The words that came out of their mouth after their FDL was beaten by a puny Cobra... well, let's just say there is hardly a sweeter sound in the Galaxy.

Posted Image

But, it is a flying brick. It can't pira--err... collect taxes worth a darn. For that, I have my Clipper. People love being taxed with style and poise.

You may have just booked my weekend solid.

I keep looking at the Clipper. She's a sexy girl. Sexy, sexy, sexy. I can also afford her like right now. B-rated, not A yet, but that's enough to get me out and making money. How good is she res farming? Aren't they terribad for PvP?

A torpedo+rail Cobra for that face-splat 'LOL. ALSO I BROUGHT YOU SOME TORPS' effect is a solid idea. Expensive but funny.

#217 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:27 PM

If PGI were to use this type map generation I think it would be best if they did it with these conditions.

This form of map generation is used for the foundation of map building.

Every planet in the game is assigned a set of perimeters that is used for map generation.

Every planet gets 3-5 maps that is randomly dropped on in public que. I really dont like voting, but if you really need to have it, then the players vote for what map on that planet.

The generated maps are put through a testing period with modification made. They are then assigned to a planet.

Pub/group que draws from 10 planets randomly every two weeks. Patch day would be a good day.

CW is limited to the maps assigned to what ever planet is being attacked/defended.

Again I see this idea working if PGI uses it for making permanently made maps, not making a new map every time a group of players drop. This is also an butt load of work. So PGI would still be taking a lot of time producing these maps. After all they would have to examine, test, then mod each one. And a whole crap ton of stuff I dont even know about because I am not a game dev, let alone a programmer, graphical artist, or 3D modeler.

#218 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:40 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 29 December 2015 - 09:15 PM, said:

You may have just booked my weekend solid.

I keep looking at the Clipper. She's a sexy girl. Sexy, sexy, sexy. I can also afford her like right now. B-rated, not A yet, but that's enough to get me out and making money. How good is she res farming? Aren't they terribad for PvP?

A torpedo+rail Cobra for that face-splat 'LOL. ALSO I BROUGHT YOU SOME TORPS' effect is a solid idea. Expensive but funny.

Clipper is a fine ship. She's great in combat zones and res sites if you fly her right. She can't tank worth a damn. She's fragile as hell. But she's sexy and fast. Keep that in mind and you'll be alright.

And she has a secret weapon... she rams like a linebacker. Four pips to shields and she is a wrecking ball.

As for PvP... depends on who you're fighting. She can be good and she can be bad.

But I don't use her for PvP. She's my pirate ship. Nothing can outrun her and nobody can catch me--and as I usually pirate... err... collect taxes alone from CMDRs, that's the most important thing I can have.

It is about intimidation and no pride. Never be afraid to run and moreso to antagonize and tease. Eventually even the bounty hunters will give up when they realize they can't ever grab you.

The torpedoes are special, surprise ______ !

At this point I don't really farm, I just play for fun and I do it a lot. I dragged myself from a simple Viper to where I'm at now all from pirating humans. It took exponentially longer to do it this way than trading or anything else, but I have no regrets because every single minute of it was fun and now I own a small fully upgraded fleet, some sideys, an eagle, a viper, a cobra mk iii, an ASP, a Courier, a Vulture, a Clipper and a Cobra MKiv with lots of cash in the bank.

Play for fun and the credits will come naturally. :)

#219 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:46 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 29 December 2015 - 09:09 PM, said:

Well had the guys doing that mod gone to Microsoft, with a plan for the IP, they might have gotten the license....

they had something going with them. I cant remember what tho

#220 Scar Glamour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:24 PM

I bet we're getting procedurally generated maps right after PvE and objective-based missions. Meaning you really shouldn't hold your breath.

Sure, procedurally generated maps work, but I can remember scores of projects promising to make it an essential part of the game and failing to deliver spectacularly. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. springs to mind.

45 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 45 guests, 0 anonymous users