Hero Or Not: King Crab, Mad Dog And Mech Pack Woes

25 replies to this topic

#1 FireBlood

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:58 AM

As we move more toward mech packs and away from single releases, some issues have popped up in my mind.

With each pack, if you buy it, you can get an (I), ( R), (O) special variant that grants the player 30% more C-bills, even though it is listed as a (C) mech in the mech bay. Now, there are at least two chassis who do not have ready access so such a bonus, even for the going rate of a Hero/ (I), ( R), (O) mech. These two mechs are the King Crab, and the Mad Dog.

In order to get the King Crab 30% C-bill variant you needed to have started playing the game last year at least and spent money on packs. To get the Mad Dog (I) you need to cough up $360 and get both Wave I and Wave II. I think enough time has passed, almost a year now, that these two mechs and all other pack released mechs should have a purchasable (I), ( R), (O) as a stand alone. If not then I hope new Hero mechs are coming along with Clan Hero's.

Update: Just thought of this, if they don't really ever need to make another hero mech if they don't want to. Just add the King Crab for $35 to the Resistance I Ala cart section, and the Mad Dog for $55 to the Wave II Ala cart section. With that anyone can purchase a 30% c-bill boosted mech from any mech pack, or pick up an actual hero from the original list.

Edited by FireBlood, 07 August 2015 - 10:00 AM.

#2 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:11 PM

The special variant mechs are listed as champions because they are a standard edition mech they just have a 30% bonus on C-bills, they have the same hardpoints/omni-pods as the regular versions.
Hero mechs have unique hardpoints making them a unique variant and only exist on the IS side. PGI still hasn't worked out the details of how to handle Omni-Mech heroes to make them unique and keep them from just being a new P2W lego mech so there are not any Clan heroes as yet.

#3 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:43 PM

Good idea. Makes sense to me.

God, remember how hard it was to pass up the free Mad Dog though? It's one of my favourite mechs in Battletech. And I feel like I'm saying that a lot, but dammit, there's so many cool ones. I had to do some real soul searching to stop myself from selling my couch to get the Mad Dog.

When I realized there was a $360 price tag for the bonus Mad Dog, I was like...

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:27 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 05 August 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

Good idea. Makes sense to me.

God, remember how hard it was to pass up the free Mad Dog though? It's one of my favourite mechs in Battletech. And I feel like I'm saying that a lot, but dammit, there's so many cool ones. I had to do some real soul searching to stop myself from selling my couch to get the Mad Dog.

When I realized there was a $360 price tag for the bonus Mad Dog, I was like...

$360. I could get a gaming system for that. O.o

#5 FireBlood

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

Exactly, I wonder what PGI's numbers are for current purchases of both packs. They could just change the (I) to an (H) on the prime variants and put em in the store or gift store for $20 a pop and people would buy em for the C-bill bonus alone.

#6 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:49 PM

I would agree completely. I wonder though does that diminish the luster of the Loyalty version?

Posted Image

#7 MrJeffers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:11 PM

View PostSaxie, on 14 August 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

I would agree completely. I wonder though does that diminish the luster of the Loyalty version?

Posted Image

Single Mechs are still released outside of packs for less than "$120". First there is the gift store for all the reinforcements and then we are still on a Mech a month release schedule for pack mechs, only month missing is October for MC or November for C-Bills:
Clan wave 3

When will these 'Mechs be available for purchase in-game with MC or C-Bills?

Executioner: August 4th for MC and September 1st for C-Bills
Ebon Jaguar: August 18th for MC and September 15th for C-Bills
Shadow Cat: September 1st for MC and October 6th for C-Bills
Arctic Cheetah: September 15th for MC and October 20th for C-Bills

Resistance 2

Wolfhound: November 17th for MC and December 15th for C-Bills
Crab: December 1st for MC and January 5th for C-Bills
Black Knight: December 15th for MC and January 19th for C-Bills
Mauler: January 5th for MC and February 2nd for C-Bills

Origins IIC

When will the Origins IIC 'Mechs be available for purchase in-game with MC or C-Bills?

Jenner IIC (all variants): January 19th for MC and February 16th for C-Bills
Hunchback IIC (all variants): February 2nd for MC and March 1st for C-Bills
Orion IIC (all variants): February 16th for MC and March 15th for C-Bills
Highlander IIC (all variants): March 1st for MC and April 5th for C-Bills

#8 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:17 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 August 2015 - 07:27 PM, said:

$360. I could get a gaming system for that. O.o

Hey, hey now, the pricing was IGP's fault

#9 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

Do I buy for the mechs? Eh... the c-bill boosting variant is nice.

I really buy to fund the other stuff that doesn't have a monetary cost. I don't spend that much for an extra forum badge (why would I, I love my founders badge). I don't for an extra paint scheme (hardly worth all that scratch). I do because I want to fund new features, maps, bug fixes, modes etc. (would be great to raise my arms up and down in a humanoid). Bringing some of the older mechs getting left in the dust, up-to-snuff competitively would be a nice use of that funding.

If anything,I don't think the game does well on steam with this current business model. They need to come up with some better hook to keep new players, and alternative ways to get them to part with their money.

Really the best bang-for-your-buck is just getting a c-bill farming machine on sale. That said I like "exclusive" reward mechs idea. I don't think they should be sold eventually. Instead, make more for other mechs.

#10 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

Posted Image

Thats because they realized how much more money they get from Pokemon Whales than they would releasing them normally

#11 Rushmoar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:20 PM

Posted Image

Yes I do remember but over all the larger bulk puchase just gives out a better dollar value. Be it camos, colors, premium time, and warhorns. Think the al cart just isn't a good enough value. Would like to see singles chassis come back but just don't include all the cosmetic items the packs have.

#12 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:21 PM

Why is it a surprise to anyone that they wont back down from packs when the packs make them money lol

Its a company not a charity. Then again they seem historically to have issues working on anything that doesnt immediately get them money.

What we need to do now is figure out for them a way to monetize bug fixes and maps

#13 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:40 PM

View PostFireBlood, on 05 August 2015 - 09:58 AM, said:

As we move more toward mech packs and away from single releases, some issues have popped up in my mind.

With each pack, if you buy it, you can get an (I), ( R), (O) special variant that grants the player 30% more C-bills, even though it is listed as a (C) mech in the mech bay. Now, there are at least two chassis who do not have ready access so such a bonus, even for the going rate of a Hero/ (I), ( R), (O) mech. These two mechs are the King Crab, and the Mad Dog.

In order to get the King Crab 30% C-bill variant you needed to have started playing the game last year at least and spent money on packs. To get the Mad Dog (I) you need to cough up $360 and get both Wave I and Wave II. I think enough time has passed, almost a year now, that these two mechs and all other pack released mechs should have a purchasable (I), ( R), (O) as a stand alone. If not then I hope new Hero mechs are coming along with Clan Hero's.

Update: Just thought of this, if they don't really ever need to make another hero mech if they don't want to. Just add the King Crab for $35 to the Resistance I Ala cart section, and the Mad Dog for $55 to the Wave II Ala cart section. With that anyone can purchase a 30% c-bill boosted mech from any mech pack, or pick up an actual hero from the original list.

The La cart section would be a massive slap in the face to people who bought mech packs just to get those mechs. Since a lot of them especially mechs like the Gargoyle and the like in wave 2 are considered pretty bad.

I actually really want a hero crab myself. I like gauss crabs because i can run them with a 325 engine have tons of ammo and AMS, something my gauss whale cannot do.

#14 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:43 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 14 August 2015 - 01:21 PM, said:

What we need to do now is figure out for them a way to monetize bug fixes and maps

$10 bugfix DLC...That would instantly destroy any molecule of faith in humanity that I still have left...

#15 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:59 PM

View PostFireBlood, on 14 August 2015 - 12:41 PM, said:

Exactly, I wonder what PGI's numbers are for current purchases of both packs. They could just change the (I) to an (H) on the prime variants and put em in the store or gift store for $20 a pop and people would buy em for the C-bill bonus alone.

Cause thats still more likely to happen than the paulconomy getting fixed lol

#16 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:25 PM

View PostMrJeffers, on 14 August 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

Single Mechs are still released outside of packs for less than "$120". First there is the gift store for all the reinforcements and then we are still on a Mech a month release schedule for pack mechs, only month missing is October for MC or November for C-Bills:
Clan wave 3

Executioner: August 4th for MC and September 1st for C-Bills
Ebon Jaguar: August 18th for MC and September 15th for C-Bills
Shadow Cat: September 1st for MC and October 6th for C-Bills
Arctic Cheetah: September 15th for MC and October 20th for C-Bills

Resistance 2

Wolfhound: November 17th for MC and December 15th for C-Bills
Crab: December 1st for MC and January 5th for C-Bills
Black Knight: December 15th for MC and January 19th for C-Bills
Mauler: January 5th for MC and February 2nd for C-Bills

Origins IIC

When will the Origins IIC 'Mechs be available for purchase in-game with MC or C-Bills?

Jenner IIC (all variants): January 19th for MC and February 16th for C-Bills
Hunchback IIC (all variants): February 2nd for MC and March 1st for C-Bills
Orion IIC (all variants): February 16th for MC and March 15th for C-Bills
Highlander IIC (all variants): March 1st for MC and April 5th for C-Bills

Do you remember when the the mechs prior to the Phoenix pack...? Im betting no.

#17 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:27 PM

View PostSaxie, on 14 August 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

Those where better days...

#18 MrJeffers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:52 PM

View PostSaxie, on 14 August 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

You're betting wrong. And it still doesn't change the fact they still release a solo mech a month.

Edited by MrJeffers, 14 August 2015 - 02:52 PM.

#19 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:53 PM

View PostFupDup, on 14 August 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

$10 bugfix DLC...That would instantly destroy any molecule of faith in humanity that I still have left...

You mean like Civilization 5? Theres this bug that you need a dlc to fix. It's a crazy but random bug that makes worker stop working without a warning and you can't send them back to work. You can send them back to work but they don't work Though they have the working animation. Let me tell you about Sid Meier, that cie i loved for so long, fk them, i didnt get the xpac and i didnt get any of their other games either.

#20 FireBlood

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:36 PM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 14 August 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

The La cart section would be a massive slap in the face to people who bought mech packs just to get those mechs. Since a lot of them especially mechs like the Gargoyle and the like in wave 2 are considered pretty bad.

I actually really want a hero crab myself. I like gauss crabs because i can run them with a 325 engine have tons of ammo and AMS, something my gauss whale cannot do.

I am sure that people who bought both packs might be upset if they released the Mad Dog to an ala cart option. But, it has been nearly a year since those folks got to play with their money making dogs. I think it is only fair that anyone can spend a smaller amount ala cart to get an invasion version like every other mech that has been released to a pack.

As for the King Crab, have an artist on the side make a resistance skin for it and then add it to the ala cart selection as well.

Everyone wins and gets good mechs for a fair price.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users