Razen's Idea: Debris Degradation

7 replies to this topic

#1 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:01 PM

First thing first, those of you that pronounce the word "debris" with an "S" (or think that I should have used "a" instead of "an") go sit out in the hallway right now.

(JK, I am sure that I will make 20 grammar mistakes in the next 2 sentences. Just lightening the mood, ok?)

Ok, so throwing out ideas, the logic behind broken torso receiving only 75% damage (or is it 50%?) to adjacent component is probably just the melted metal hunk becoming "shields" in a way.

However, that doesn't make much sense beyond video game logic. A more realistic outcome is that the broken metal either fell off, or become increasing broken off from repeated blast.

From a coding perspective, it's highly unrealistic to program debris and physics. So here are some more realistic shortcuts...

1) Broken sides get flat life value, that will continue to shield adjacent components for 75% (50?) until the life value is gone. At which case, your adjacent component will receive 100% damage.

2) Broken sides get time linear degradation on debris. So for next minute or two, you start losing armor protection with debris falling off your mech. Right after a torso is blown off, you receive the full 50% protection value. But after 1 minute, that value drops to 25%, until it's gone completely after 2 minutes. At which point, adjacent component receives full 100% damages.

This could potentially impact the game several ways, the main one being that it will promote more aggressive timing offensive plays from "shield" mechs (mechs designed to have a side blown off)... or a strategic defensive plays from defending mechs.

No more of this... "I am going to sit back because half of my mech is gone."

But more... "Guys, half of my mech is gone, follow me!"

Much more heroic.

#2 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:28 PM

Debree

Also, destructible cover was already thrown into the ether.

Damage already bleeds from destroyed component by 40%, that means there's damage reduction as the damage goes to the ct.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 02 April 2018 - 10:29 PM.

#3 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:35 PM

Ok but why?

This helps nothing, it doesn't just lower time to kill, but it takes away even more reason to torso twist. If anything we should be buffing the benefits of torso twisting in a mech rather than nerfing it.

#4 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:37 AM

Nevermind :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 03 April 2018 - 03:09 AM.

#5 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 April 2018 - 06:51 AM

Anything that raises TTK is win to me.. Way too fast and unfun imo now.

i'd be happy if they made CTs three times stronger and people actually had to shoot at other parts to kill mechs instead would work for me..

Edited by Samial, 03 April 2018 - 06:53 AM.

#6 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:08 AM

OP wants to reduce TTK it seems.

#7 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:53 AM

View PostrazenWing, on 02 April 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

First thing first, those of you that pronounce the word "debris" with an "S" (or think that I should have used "a" instead of "an") go sit out in the hallway right now.

(JK, I am sure that I will make 20 grammar mistakes in the next 2 sentences. Just lightening the mood, ok?)

Ok, so throwing out ideas, the logic behind broken torso receiving only 75% damage (or is it 50%?) to adjacent component is probably just the melted metal hunk becoming "shields" in a way.

However, that doesn't make much sense beyond video game logic. A more realistic outcome is that the broken metal either fell off, or become increasing broken off from repeated blast.

From a coding perspective, it's highly unrealistic to program debris and physics. So here are some more realistic shortcuts...

1) Broken sides get flat life value, that will continue to shield adjacent components for 75% (50?) until the life value is gone. At which case, your adjacent component will receive 100% damage.

2) Broken sides get time linear degradation on debris. So for next minute or two, you start losing armor protection with debris falling off your mech. Right after a torso is blown off, you receive the full 50% protection value. But after 1 minute, that value drops to 25%, until it's gone completely after 2 minutes. At which point, adjacent component receives full 100% damages.

This could potentially impact the game several ways, the main one being that it will promote more aggressive timing offensive plays from "shield" mechs (mechs designed to have a side blown off)... or a strategic defensive plays from defending mechs.

No more of this... "I am going to sit back because half of my mech is gone."

But more... "Guys, half of my mech is gone, follow me!"

Much more heroic.

The main problem to your idea:

Players barely press W anyhow. most don't know about the existing dead side damage reduction. AND most mechs agility were too nerfed I to use it to twist anyhow.

Two problems to solve first before we get fancy.

#8 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:00 AM

Wanted to add that destroyed doesn't equal falling off in the first place. Take a hammer to any piece of equipment, the damage needed to render something non-functional, and even irreparable, is far less than what is needed to blow it to bits.

Imagine a destroyed tank, it has holes in it and smoke coming out, but is mostly 'intact'. Not even a nuke could turn it into little pieces.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users