To The Cool Guy Giving Support From Behind...

CW LRM Sniper

90 replies to this topic

#41 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:47 AM

View PostKen Harkin, on 10 August 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

People do not play the way I want them to so I am going to pout.

I thought I was addressing this years ago with my kids.

Seems there where some parents who didn't address this with teir kids properly ;)

No seriously....someone is sitting in a multi tonns 10 meter war machine and thinks 12 of them at a time getting into enemys face is the only way to go....this should sound weird to anybody.

The best way to go is still moving, shooting, hitting and not getting hit in return.
Backline "campers" who are constantly crying for locks are a pain yes, but ppl running head on into brawls or still think it to be possible to go in and slug it out are far worse.
Close range brawlers are mostly one thing.
In your way soaking damage by their team.
If one is painstakingly in need of others to help him soak damage to be able to inflikt some on the enemy...yea they are doing it wrong !

Edited by The Basilisk, 11 August 2015 - 01:01 AM.

#42 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:19 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 11 August 2015 - 12:26 AM, said:

4 LRM 10 A1?
What kind of A1 are you running O_o

For an A1 it isn't hard to get something that another thousand players got on there A1 but THAT A1 is one of the most unique 'serious' builds I've seen yet...

Lol, why?

Well, 4xLRM10s as the core. Yes.

Here's the simple foundation:
CPLT-A1

This is the one I would personally take into the field.

CPLT-A1 280 version

and there was even a 255 version for open queue play (gives you 1.5 tons of free space, for either more SSRM ammo, DHS, or JJs)

#43 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:49 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 11 August 2015 - 01:19 AM, said:

Lol, why?

Well, 4xLRM10s as the core. Yes.

Here's the simple foundation:
CPLT-A1

This is the one I would personally take into the field.

CPLT-A1 280 version

and there was even a 255 version for open queue play (gives you 1.5 tons of free space, for either more SSRM ammo, DHS, or JJs)

quite interesting...

Slower then most catapults, lower DPS then most A1's yet more range then most C1's I've seen or equal to the C4's.... and no jumpjets...

For me the base A1 is 6 LRM 5's or a single LRM 15 where you go "put what ever 2's you want for the other4!" rahter it be 4 streaks or 4 SRM 2's if you want to be that guy who didn't do 6 LRM 5's.

I mean that's an odd build you got there. however it slightly goes to the fact there isn't well... enough satisfactory support weapons or the lack of JJ and speed for a mech of that weight- not saying it's a bad build! I am thinking of buying a 4th A1 to try that one out without hurting my other babies. But judging an LRM boat only by an extreme.... ya know... a lil silly. and not to forget things in TT is a bit less fussy on how devoted an LRM boat is... for eg the jagermech has 2 AC 2's, 2 LRM 15's, and 2 Med las stock.

(typically I judge an LRM boat of the weight class on the stocks while I go use clans by the IS standards as those are decent standards... I mean who the hell would put 2 LRM 20's on a mad do-... well I do but that isn't the point!)

#44 Saint Atlas and the Commando Elf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:46 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 10 August 2015 - 04:58 AM, said:

Here are the required mandatory minimum payloads (missiles launched in one salvo) for a mech to qualify as an LRM boat, per weight class:

Mandatory?

I think you might have overdone it here a bit. For me MW:O is a game. Nothing is mandatory.
And I doubt that there is any kind of standardization council that determines the number of tubes for LRM boats.
AFAIK there is just this ominous Meta. And Meta is just an ...well... "Fashion" describes it quite good.

View PostNightshade24, on 10 August 2015 - 12:29 AM, said:

On the matter of speed- a 2 LRM 5 locust is an LRM boat,

No, I own that mech. It's not an LRM-boat, it's just useless. Only exceeded 300 damage once.

Again, I am quite worried, how strict you guys are on the definiton of these terms like Skirmisher or LRM-boat. If by my personal judgement the main wepon system is LRMs, I would call that thing "LRM-boat". Don't care much about your definitions.

View PostJosef Koba, on 10 August 2015 - 05:02 AM, said:

First, it lets me pretend there's actually role warfare in MWO.

I like that thought.

View PostJosef Koba, on 10 August 2015 - 05:02 AM, said:

Even if I granted the mathematical theory of numbers of mechs on a firing line determines victory, which I don't,

... but which you should. Let's say there is a fix chance of XY% that a mech on your team hides cowardly, or does a suicide run or whatever. Your are always better off, if the base number of mechs was higher.

View PostKen Harkin, on 10 August 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

People do not play the way I want them to so I am going to pout. I thought I was addressing this years ago with my kids.

Please also remind your kids, that they should never ever try to solve problems on their own. They will be fine just sitting around and accepting circumstances no matter what.

#45 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:55 PM

View PostSthtopokeon, on 11 August 2015 - 01:46 PM, said:

-snip-

Well in all examples I gave and such the LRM is the main weapon system- even in the 2 LRM 5 medium laser locust (which isn't meta by any standard and it is fun, Depending on game I can get 200-400 damage, depending on AMS and team behaves. when it isn't dishing damage it often gets the spots. the magic of a 140 kph+ LRM boat is that you can easily flank mechs nad avoid ecm / ams simply by out running it or by going from the other completely different direction... again, not the best thing out there, but it is still an LRM boat. As you said yourself
"I think you might have overdone it here a bit. For me MW:O is a game. Nothing is mandatory"
Anyway...) has the LRM's as the main weapon, 2 LRM 5's = 10 damage up to 1000 meter range. 1 medium laser = 5 damage up to 270 meter range.

But I am not really trying to say this is the best thing ever, but what I am saying is that it is an LRM boat regardless and is a good example of the fastest.

If there is a point a mech does as much range up close (excluding ranged weapons typically?) as it does at medium, long, and sniper ranges. that is what a skirmisher is (as well as if it is fast for it's weight class ie mediums going 75 kph+ with those weapons). Skirmishers often carry LRM's, SRM's, a ballistic (typically AC 2 or 5 but do exist in the 10's nad 20's form) and lasers (small to large of the variarity), things like the stock shadowhawks are a good example.

#46 LoboSG

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:45 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 11 August 2015 - 01:49 AM, said:

... or a single LRM 15

My inclination is to not go over LRM10. The spread of anything above 10 is too big for me. LRM10 is good enough to use without Artemis, thus giving me more tonnage to fit in more ammo/heatsink

#47 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:09 AM

I actually have run an X5 packing two LRM5s. My real intro to the Cult of the LRM.

I remember one PUG drop in the bog. I'm hanging back with another light-can't recall offhand what it was but it also had LRMs. There we are, pinging away with our LRM peashooters...when suddenly, we break into the bubble of an angry Battlemaster, until then masked by a helpful enemy ECM, clearly intent on swatting us.

Me: "AAAH! Run away! RUN AWAY! Keep running!"

We scattered and ran like roaches when you turn on the light. It was truly hilarious, a classic MWO PUG moment. I love the Catapult...but it can't do that quite like that. It was like an outtake from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." Only a tiny LRM carrier can do that.

Edited by Chados, 13 August 2015 - 02:12 AM.

#48 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:48 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 11 August 2015 - 01:49 AM, said:

quite interesting...

Slower then most catapults, lower DPS then most A1's yet more range then most C1's I've seen or equal to the C4's.... and no jumpjets...

For me the base A1 is 6 LRM 5's or a single LRM 15 where you go "put what ever 2's you want for the other4!" rahter it be 4 streaks or 4 SRM 2's if you want to be that guy who didn't do 6 LRM 5's.

I mean that's an odd build you got there. however it slightly goes to the fact there isn't well... enough satisfactory support weapons or the lack of JJ and speed for a mech of that weight- not saying it's a bad build! I am thinking of buying a 4th A1 to try that one out without hurting my other babies. But judging an LRM boat only by an extreme.... ya know... a lil silly. and not to forget things in TT is a bit less fussy on how devoted an LRM boat is... for eg the jagermech has 2 AC 2's, 2 LRM 15's, and 2 Med las stock.

(typically I judge an LRM boat of the weight class on the stocks while I go use clans by the IS standards as those are decent standards... I mean who the hell would put 2 LRM 20's on a mad do-... well I do but that isn't the point!)

Oh that A1 is almost completely team dependent. It's secondary armament is bad, on every scale imaginable. 2 Streak 2s won't do you much of anything. Not even against a locust.

Mandatory?

I think you might have overdone it here a bit. For me MW:O is a game. Nothing is mandatory.
And I doubt that there is any kind of standardization council that determines the number of tubes for LRM boats.
AFAIK there is just this ominous Meta. And Meta is just an ...well... "Fashion" describes it quite good.

I completely understand, but to fulfill a role, you need the tools. While the main armament being LRMs is a decent qualifier to being an "LRM boat". You also need proper LRMs for your weight class. These are just the optimal numbers. As clearly demonstrated earlier, with examples like the 6xLRM5 A1. There are ones that go outside the standards, and yet still qualify.

A Stalker can have 3 LRM 10s, with some back up lasers, and call itself an LRM boat, but that's a waste of an 85 tonner, and quite arguably, a bad LRM boat. Especially when it can pack 4-5 10s instead, making it more suitable for an assault mech LRM boat.

No, I own that mech. It's not an LRM-boat, it's just useless. Only exceeded 300 damage once.

Depends on how you pilot it really. I've seen people consistently do much better than 300 in it. Also, it is a Light LRM boat. More fitting in the Skirmisher/Harasser role.

Again, I am quite worried, how strict you guys are on the definiton of these terms like Skirmisher or LRM-boat. If by my personal judgement the main wepon system is LRMs, I would call that thing "LRM-boat". Don't care much about your definitions.

The role relies both on the speed of the mech, and the salvo size. For example, light and medium mechs don't pack a massive punch, but they can relocate exceedingly quickly. Which allows them to keep pressuring, and attacking the enemy from different angles.

While assault mechs are on the opposite end of that. They are slow, can't relocate quick enough to flank or draw the enemy's attention, but instead bring down a literal rain of fire on their targets. So they serve better as artillery mechs. They don't move as much, are more selective about which targets to hit, and need to hit with enough firepower to compensate for their tonnage not being on the front line.

Those classifications I posted have their origins in competitive teams from earlier times when LRMs were something you ran in the 12 man queue, and even in some competitions. They focus on optimizing the weapon for the weight class. There are mediums that can pack 45 tubes, but you end up ammo starved. Pack too few tubes, and the light is packing just as many, while moving faster. Basically a light running around with an LRM 20 (or 4 LRM 5s on an Oxide), is inefficient, it usually means you had to give up a lot for that tonnage. Whereas a light with an LRM 10, or 2x5s is going to be much better, since it's moving just as fast, if not faster, with a comparable payload, while being cooler, and packing more ammo/backup weapons/equipment.

So yes, you can make a 5xLRM 5 Stalker LRM boat, but that is just bad design. If you have far more effective back up weapons (like 4 LLs), then the LRMs are no longer your main armament really, and are wasting the mech's potential, and tonnage.

I'm not trying to convince you of something here. Just explaining the rationale behind these numbers, and what is expected of LRM mechs in those weight classes.

View PostChados, on 13 August 2015 - 02:09 AM, said:

I actually have run an X5 packing two LRM5s. My real intro to the Cult of the LRM.

I remember one PUG drop in the bog. I'm hanging back with another light-can't recall offhand what it was but it also had LRMs. There we are, pinging away with our LRM peashooters...when suddenly, we break into the bubble of an angry Battlemaster, until then masked by a helpful enemy ECM, clearly intent on swatting us.

Me: "AAAH! Run away! RUN AWAY! Keep running!"

We scattered and ran like roaches when you turn on the light. It was truly hilarious, a classic MWO PUG moment. I love the Catapult...but it can't do that quite like that. It was like an outtake from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." Only a tiny LRM carrier can do that.

I've always wanted to do an X-5 with LRMs, but I never got into Cicadas, nor bought the X-5. (I actually just recently started piloting Cicadas, already basic'd two of them, and saving a few million C-Bills, for the third.)

#49 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:44 AM

Forget all the facets and subtleties of tactics and combined arms warfare.

Forget about strategising and coordination.

12+12 = 24!!!!!

Posted Image

What's the next trick? Winning battle strategies featuring a spreadsheet?

See this is why we don't get nice tactical games anymore.

Edited by Sadist Cain, 13 August 2015 - 11:45 AM.

#50 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:29 PM

View PostLoboSG, on 12 August 2015 - 11:45 PM, said:

My inclination is to not go over LRM10. The spread of anything above 10 is too big for me. LRM10 is good enough to use without Artemis, thus giving me more tonnage to fit in more ammo/heatsink

I meant 2 for the A1, NOT 1 ^^;
And the LRM 15 is still decent, not like the LRM 20 and it also has good tonnage, you can easily equip artemis but that forces your other 4 "SRM's to be streak to save .5 tons each

#51 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:44 PM

A1 Catapults can pack 2xASRM6 with 2xALRM15, and about 1080 rounds for the LRMs/200 for the SRMs. The A1C comes with this configuration plus BAP. I dropped the ASRM6 to inventory in favor of more armor, 4xSSRM2, and AMS with 1 ton ammo. You don't give up much throw weight (8 SSRM/salvo vs 12 SRM/salvo) and you get SSRM targeting, but you do give up some damage potential.

BAP is a must. It would be interesting to see PGI perhaps give us a C4 variant with an ECM hardpoint. The ultimate in counterbattery action. I've dueled other Catapults at distance many times and it's always a tough fight. I do like the Loki/Hellbringer very much for this capability but I'm busy with Catapults right now.

Edited by Chados, 13 August 2015 - 04:46 PM.

#52 Fnord Asteroid

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationThe River

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:58 AM

Used to run my raven 3L with some med lasers, tag, BAP and an lrm 10. Much much BIG fun, playing Cavalry Mortar man.

What OP really meant to talk about (it seems to me) is the terrible dearth in tactical understanding.

Well, what do you expect? These sorts of skills are taught or studied, usually in the military or through a genuine interest in warfare; and are not instinctive, most especially not for some cheeto-fingered pamper case who is accustomed to being the most dangerous character in their game.
It takes a devotion of time and energy to develop the skills and, more importantly, the knowledge that there is something more to be learned.

I like the fact that matches in this game can go **** up in a heartbeat cuz some wheefle thinks he's a 'sniper' and is 'getting a lot of damage'. Makes the game harder. Makes the victory sweeter. Makes the meek fold up and cry and quit playing.
This game can get to anyone, I play only PUG, so trust I have been to the crumbling edge of wits end trying to figure out 'what the **** just happened' ...

If one really can't stand those sorts of players...it seems to me (I am wholly ignorant as to how it is actually being done, but I really really hope) that the larger and more organized units would be playing much more tactically and this would preclude any trips to the forums to vent about supporting teammates.

For the record: I pilot a STK-3F(C) and regularly stay positioned behind my team. Never heard a complaint about my participation, or more accurately, my terrorizing of the red team, from +200m back.

(and NO to the ecm on catapults. Just no...no.... Getting dizzy here... can we make it stop? whoa so um, ecm... CAN I HAZ IT ON MAH STALKERS PLEEEZE???!!!???)

#53 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:51 AM

View PostChromeDaedalus, on 14 August 2015 - 02:58 AM, said:

Used to run my raven 3L with some med lasers, tag, BAP and an lrm 10. Much much BIG fun, playing Cavalry Mortar man.

What OP really meant to talk about (it seems to me) is the terrible dearth in tactical understanding.

Well, what do you expect? These sorts of skills are taught or studied, usually in the military or through a genuine interest in warfare; and are not instinctive, most especially not for some cheeto-fingered pamper case who is accustomed to being the most dangerous character in their game.
It takes a devotion of time and energy to develop the skills and, more importantly, the knowledge that there is something more to be learned.

I like the fact that matches in this game can go **** up in a heartbeat cuz some wheefle thinks he's a 'sniper' and is 'getting a lot of damage'. Makes the game harder. Makes the victory sweeter. Makes the meek fold up and cry and quit playing.
This game can get to anyone, I play only PUG, so trust I have been to the crumbling edge of wits end trying to figure out 'what the **** just happened' ...

If one really can't stand those sorts of players...it seems to me (I am wholly ignorant as to how it is actually being done, but I really really hope) that the larger and more organized units would be playing much more tactically and this would preclude any trips to the forums to vent about supporting teammates.

For the record: I pilot a STK-3F(C) and regularly stay positioned behind my team. Never heard a complaint about my participation, or more accurately, my terrorizing of the red team, from +200m back.

(and NO to the ecm on catapults. Just no...no.... Getting dizzy here... can we make it stop? whoa so um, ecm... CAN I HAZ IT ON MAH STALKERS PLEEEZE???!!!???)

Posted Image

I can tell you from experience that units drill together, and use tactics, and even formations.

#54 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:30 AM

LOL @ Chrome Daedalus. Being a Gen Xer, I love a cup of good hot sarcasm in the morning :) . Hell yes, you can has ECM on your Stalker! It looks like a Catapult from a distance anyway, so you can join the club! And we big-nosed chicken-walkers have to stick together, right?

Elect me President and I promise an ECM in every pot...er...mech! ECM for the masses!

By the way, after I posted that I learned that yes, Virginia, BAP indeed does counter one ECM from outside LRM range...360m. I'm usually around 400 anyway so hey, that's a good thing!

Edited by Chados, 15 August 2015 - 03:43 AM.

#55 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:41 AM

I understand that the OP might not be looking at this thread anymore but for those who support his view i'd say this.
If i can do 400 damage while only receiving 0-20 points of damage in return over a longer time period.
While my teams damage stats are more average but does their damage much quicker.

Who is doing it right and who is doing it wrong?

I once did 277 damage without a single laser/bump scratch on my mech.
Half the enemy team was so distracted trying to predict where i would pop out to snipe at them next that my allies rolled over them.
I was completly alone at E/F7 and behind the enemy who where dug down at E/F6.
My team was at the usual spots besieging the enemy D6 towards E5.

Another time i did 450 damage in return for 10 damage (PPC shot in my back).

Did i do right or did i do wrong?

Edited by Spleenslitta, 15 August 2015 - 07:46 AM.

#56 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:31 AM

Disagree with TC. At right place and with right targets range support can play key role to defeat enemy. Gauss or ERLL can seeds as much panic as it needs to victory and shackle enemy movements and flank maneuvers.

#57 Wolf486

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:40 AM

The game makes it hard at best to be role specific. Scouts can't scout but only harras or wolfpack and Support Mechs can't really support. Sure you might get a few matches where you can pull this off but overall you can't. I have no ideas how this can be fixed as most of the issue is game design and the method of play that's most effective is blob up and roll thunder on the opponent. I wouldn't even know where to start to fix these issue. It's all a product of the games design in the end.

#58 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:01 AM

View PostWolf486, on 15 August 2015 - 08:40 AM, said:

The game makes it hard at best to be role specific. Scouts can't scout but only harras or wolfpack and Support Mechs can't really support. Sure you might get a few matches where you can pull this off but overall you can't. I have no ideas how this can be fixed as most of the issue is game design and the method of play that's most effective is blob up and roll thunder on the opponent. I wouldn't even know where to start to fix these issue. It's all a product of the games design in the end.

Making all maps as big as possible could be a good start. Gives hit and runners more opportunities and scouting matters more when there is more territory to cover.
Imagine an urbanmap the size of Alpine peaks with almost no opportunities to see straight across the map unless one manages to climb the tallest buildings somehow.

Making certain there are more attack routes and fewer bottlenecks are also a good things.

#59 Redoxin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:14 AM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 15 August 2015 - 07:41 AM, said:

I understand that the OP might not be looking at this thread anymore but for those who support his view i'd say this.
If i can do 400 damage while only receiving 0-20 points of damage in return over a longer time period.
While my teams damage stats are more average but does their damage much quicker.

Who is doing it right and who is doing it wrong?

I once did 277 damage without a single laser/bump scratch on my mech.
Half the enemy team was so distracted trying to predict where i would pop out to snipe at them next that my allies rolled over them.
I was completly alone at E/F7 and behind the enemy who where dug down at E/F6.
My team was at the usual spots besieging the enemy D6 towards E5.

Another time i did 450 damage in return for 10 damage (PPC shot in my back).

Did i do right or did i do wrong?

Maybe not wrong per se but surely not optimal. You have plenty of spare armor to soak shots but didnt do anything to make use of it. Bascially you did not make use of all your tonnage. The dmg numbers also do not sound very impressive if it was about over a long period of time.

If you indeed distracted them like you said then you were a useful contribution. But if the enemy instead decides to not go after you but walks over your team 12v11 then your tactic was a failure.

Edited by Redoxin, 15 August 2015 - 09:19 AM.

#60 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:33 AM

View PostRedoxin, on 15 August 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

Maybe not wrong per se but surely not optimal. You have plenty of spare armor to soak shots but didnt do anything to make use of it. Bascially you did not make use of all your tonnage. The dmg numbers also do not sound very impressive if it was about over a long period of time.

If you indeed distracted them like you said then you were a useful contribution. But if the enemy instead decides to not go after you but walks over your team 12v11 then your tactic was a failure.

True that i have armor to spare but why get hit on purpose? If i got enough armor left to finish what my team started even if i'm alone by then that's a good thing.

Here it is from a different angle. I got in trouble early on in my FS in the swamp map. CT armor was completly gone but i had all my weapons.
3x SL, 1 ML and i think it was an ER LL or was it an ER PPC?
(yup weird combo anyways for an FS 9S with not a single MPL. And this was before FS 9S got it's quirks nerfed to make it even weirder.)

Anyhow in the end i was alone and fought 4 enemies. Jager, Wolverine, Locust and something big...didn't see what kinda mech the last one was since it died real quick.
Fact is that all of them died because they tried to predict where i would pop out next.
If not getting shot while doing damage to the enemy allows me to finish what my team started i only see good stuff in my habits.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users