Being a Mechwarrior in RL

21 replies to this topic

#1 Martaugh

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

The neighbor stopped me by walking up to me as I ended the corner. She was not walking her dog so I knew her purpose was to talk to me. Her face was bandaged as I have seen so many other elderly neighbors that I knew she was undergoing surgery for melanomas.

I shut down my ex 38 John Deere to talk to her. She stated "I cannot be out in the sun and the flying debris for a while. Can you take care of my lawn for me?"

I smiled as she knew I would gladly do it as I had acquiesced to her previous requests. "I bet Harry was a lot like me, mowing the lawn and always ready to take care of the neighbors."

"He seemed to be always frustrated by it, though."

"Well, I have managed to avoid the frustration factor and will be glad to mow your lawn, though it will cost you $25.00."

"Not a problem. He used to curse his mower a lot."

"I could never curse my baby." As I patted her on the cowl.

I don't know if it was my life experience, having never had anybody but me lay a wrench on my JD or listening to my father talk about his love for the B-17 which brought him through 60 missions in WWII. All I know is that I realized that i am a mechwarrior because I love being one with a machine I understand and trust.

#2 Zombie Fetladral

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

lol thank you.

#3 Xytaglyph

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

seems legit
i feel like the united states should have primitive battlemechs by now...

#4 Sundiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

Just wait till you start comparing the turning radius and ability to torso twist on various mowers as well as their acceleration curves and heat management. :)

#5 dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLaborer caste mess hall

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

I salute your father, and you.
<S> Dez

#6 Tenrai

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationDeep in Davion controlled space aboard the Overlord class dropship Nobara

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

Nice post...Good chance your dad was piloting a B-17 that my Grandfather, Granmother and Great Uncle put toghter...When my Uncle was still around he gave me a copy of Boeing New (monthly company magazine) that had the 5000 B-17 on the front cover with a pic of all the signatures on it...I asked him where his name was...Said he never had time to get to sign it...But he was proud of the planes that they sent to our boys overseas!

#7 Martaugh

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

He once took a shot to the right wing from a 20mm. When he landed he saw the underside exit wound which was about a yard in diameter. That convinced him that the B-17 was indeed a flying fortress and the best damn plane ever made.

#8 GTCvDemois

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

ACTUALLY..(oops caps) the army is working on it. Mech-like suits.
I have a huge family...4 great uncles were in ww2
also my grandpa was a "radar" operator.

#9 GTCvDemois

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

One of my great uncles was in a B-29 and the Zero's couldn't shot them down effectively. So they rammed the plane instead and almost made it back to the Marinas. Not to disrespct the marines or the army and Navy. But if Iwo Jima was taken two weeks earlier he would of lived. Uncle Pat I Rest IN Peace.

#10 Tymanthius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

I'd guess the closest to modern mech pilots, on the ground, are the Abrams crews. Those things are the kings of the battle field. But still, they can't live w/o us Scouts, even if they won't admit it. :) Silly CDAT's.

#11 combatplayer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 137 posts
  • LocationMilkyway Galaxy

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

having mechs irl would be nice, but i would not be piloting one into battle. i am a pacifist. but with the right amount of money i'd gladly have one of my own to tinger around with.

#12 Tymanthius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

View Postcombatplayer, on 05 July 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

having mechs irl would be nice, but i would not be piloting one into battle. i am a pacifist. but with the right amount of money i'd gladly have one of my own to tinger around with.

Interesting Pilot Name for a pacifist. Not that I am knocking your beliefs. I'm pacifist by preference, but I WILL fight, and I'm glad I've had some basic training in how to fight. Being completely non-aggressive just isn't in me. But I'm glad we have all the different view points around. It'd be a boring world if we all saw it the same.

#13 Martaugh

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

The Abrams crews rawk. One translation of MW to RL as I see it. have you watched Mil reports of what those guys did against the Iraqi Elites?

#14 combatplayer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 137 posts
  • LocationMilkyway Galaxy

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostTymanthius, on 05 July 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

Interesting Pilot Name for a pacifist. Not that I am knocking your beliefs. I'm pacifist by preference, but I WILL fight, and I'm glad I've had some basic training in how to fight. Being completely non-aggressive just isn't in me. But I'm glad we have all the different view points around. It'd be a boring world if we all saw it the same.

the nickname is old and was made before i could speak a word of English. it simply sounded nice, was made for use in a game i played back then. but it became my online identity pretty fast so i just stuck with it.
besides, in games, i do prefer to be a combat player =P

i wouldn't fight irl unless there were no other options. war to me is just pointless, but variations in opinion makes the life interesting, that others want to fight is fine with me, as long as they accept that i dont want to participate until nothing else is an option.

#15 bLitzLRC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 118 posts
  • LocationSunset Beach, NC

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

War is useful. War is fun! It strengthens any community. Peace lovers are easy targets.

#16 Shal Novastorm

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

I'd pay good money to see half of this forum try to squeeze into a cockpit alone, let alone hear the shrieking when the enemy shoots them or tries to take their base or whatever else 'unfair' is in right now.

#17 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostShal Novastorm, on 05 July 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

I'd pay good money to see half of this forum try to squeeze into a cockpit alone, let alone hear the shrieking when the enemy shoots them or tries to take their base or whatever else 'unfair' is in right now.

AYIIIEEEE, GOING AROUND ME IS SO UNFAIR, THATS LIKE LEGGING, SOOOOOOOO WRONG. :)
just turn to them, and respond with a nice PPC to the face
Posted Image

#18 Gamgee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationCanadia's Royal Reservation

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

Not like me at all, it's all about testing myself. To see who's skill can overcome, to learn as much as I can. Sometimes to challenge myself/find a challenger or to help others. Push the limits and see how far they can go. Killing optional (in games), skill is what is necessary.

Edited by Gamgee, 05 July 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#19 Crumbum

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

#20 Zakatak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostMartaugh, on 05 July 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

"Not a problem. He used to curse his mower a lot."

"I could never curse my baby." As I patted her on the cowl.

"You love your mower very much. What is it called again?"

"It is a 38 Model produced by the John Deere corporation on the Planet Terra. It can achieve a speed of 3/5 using it's ICE 200 Standard class engine. Weaponry includes a 5 bladed undermounted rotor, that can do 25 damage per second and has no heat buildup to speak of, although it only does damage if the enemy is within the same Hex as I am. Rolling a pair of sixes gives me a boost to my Pilot Skill, which allows me to cut weeds in such a way they do not grow back. At a cost of 12000 C-Bills, it was one of the most popular Tractor type ground vehicles available to Terran citizens during the 20th century."

"...oh. Okay."

Edited by Zakatak, 05 July 2012 - 03:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users