Eye Tracking Aiming, Any Disadvantage?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:13 AM

Well, the question is in the title. The use eye tracking to aim a vehicle's weapon(s) makes perfect sense and I imagine that it's pretty much superior in all aspect compared to fumbling with a hand actuated device to move the aiming reticle. One disadvantage that I can think of is that when you need to look at different things in your cockpit or observe the various indicators on you HUD in a very short of amount of time.

#2 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:27 AM

I imagine it would be especially embarrasing if you quickly check up on your nearly cored teammate while you hade a nice Gauss shot lined up on the enemy.

#3 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:29 AM

This would only work for a dedicated gunner, because if you are driving you need to keep your eyes on many things, like obstacles, rear mirrors/cameras, panel items/commands, etc.

#4 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:40 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 10 August 2015 - 03:27 AM, said:

I imagine it would be especially embarrasing if you quickly check up on your nearly cored teammate while you hade a nice Gauss shot lined up on the enemy.

I was thinking about this very issue and I imagine that you need to press a button to engage the eye tracking to prevent accidental "pointing the gun to your lancemates". But this waste a finger or a hand which can perform other task.

#5 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:52 AM

So you beam your lasers, and suddnely somehing distracts you, which causes you to shoot somewhere else (like the seismic on the radar indicating an opponent) ? probably not a good idea, But then I don't know how the system reacts to specific "short distractions" like this.

But it would indeed be vey interesting at all to see hwo this turns out. can you make a vid of it in action?

Edited by Lily from animove, 10 August 2015 - 05:38 AM.

#6 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:16 AM

Maybe you could make it work only when using Advanced Zoom, since this makes your vision tunneled anyway and it's barely useful while moving.

#7 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:29 AM

Focusing eyes on a single point sacrifices situational awareness.

A person couldn't scan left and right, up and down with their eyes while keeping their weapons trained on a target.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users