#1 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:26 AM

I've heard this a few times over the years, and while back then you could switch weight classes to try and unwind, now it's not an option: You will face the same guys, Mad Cat or Dragon

So you must now chose: The Psi Corps mantra of "Teh Meta is Mother; Teh Meta is Father," or eschew it completely, and see why the phrase is "fun builds" …

Edited by Goose, 20 August 2015 - 03:10 PM.

#2 Blue Hymn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 294 posts
  • LocationIn an Awesome, blasting you from a distance

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:38 AM

I pilot the Urbie, Commando, the Awesome and the Atlas K.

Meta ain't got nothing on me.

#3 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:38 AM

I've been running a BJ-IDC the past 2 days - very not 'meta' - still shredding the mad dogs, timbers, crows and crabs.

No one looks twice at the silly little mech with twin ac2s until their ct is cherry red.

#4 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:39 AM

My enemy has always been and always will be the Meta. I cannot blame players for choosing the easy button but I can continually petition and speak against that button.

#nometahere

#5 Squirg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 307 posts
  • LocationEromanga

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:43 AM

If you really want to wind down, that's what throwaway accounts with funny names are for.

#6 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:47 AM

If you really want to throw players in-game for a loop, tell them your Urbie is a "suppression" mech. AC2 *is* quite good at that.

Get yer arse back behind that hill, Dire Wolf! Eat mah BB gun!

#7 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:59 AM

I only use "meta" mechs in Community Warfare (and even then it's only 2/4 of the mechs. Both of them are Thunderbolts, 9SE with 3LPLs and 9S with 2ERPPCs)

#8 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:02 AM

meta is good for T1 leet noobs.

i dont care about any meta. fun builds, thats what i play.

#9 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:06 AM

I was just thinking about this subject this morning. If you only play the meta, and that is all you are good at, then you are going to not enjoy this game. You are going to end up in a tier level that is going to make it a bear to level new mechs. You could decide never to buy another mech besides the meta ones you already have. But, without new challenges, you will probably get bored and stop playing.

Not to mention that there has been a history of changes that drastically change what the meta is. With the mystery "Balance 2.0" pending, we may see another drastic shift.

So, I say play what you have fun in. Stop caring about your precious 4/1 K/D ratio. It may be tough at first, but eventually you will settle into a tier that will keep you challenged. Just know wherever you land, that you should no longer see that AC20 3xSRM4 Cent charging across the open bowl on Alpine to do 0 damage. Nor should you see that one ERLL Spider, in 3rd person mode, painting the desert and only occasionally hitting a mech. That is, you shouldn't unless that is the way you play.

#10 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:07 AM

View PostGoose, on 20 August 2015 - 07:26 AM, said:

I've heard this a few times over the years, and while back then you could switch weight classes to try and unwind, now it's not an option: You will face the same guys, Mad Cat or Dragon

So you must now chose: The Psi Corps mantra of "Teh Meta is Mother; Teh Meta is Father," or eschew it completely, and see why the phrase is "fun builds" …

Blasphemy! How dare you take the Corp's name in vain!

#11 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:39 AM

Is there "meta" for every Mech or just some Mechs?

#12 Lorian Sunrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:51 AM

View Postsycocys, on 20 August 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

I've been running a BJ-IDC the past 2 days - very not 'meta' - still shredding the mad dogs, timbers, crows and crabs.

No one looks twice at the silly little mech with twin ac2s until their ct is cherry red.

I feel you. Last night for me was all about the "Badders". I found myself having a ton of fun. One build with a UAC20 and small lasers and another with dual LBX 2's and small lasers. Surprising amount of quick poke and run away with the first and the other is all about fast rate of fire and preying on people usually running from ballistic hits or targeting your larger teammates.

#13 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,071 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:54 AM

i like to run builds i like. im not going to have some spreadsheet warrior tell me what i like. half the fun in the game is trying out various builds and determining which will work for you and which will not. people who go get some optimal build off the internet that is mathematically the best you can run, that is sort of bypassing a lot of the fun of the game. i guess its ok for the hypercompetitive players but not for me. besides good teamwork trumps any spreadsheet build.

Edited by LordNothing, 20 August 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#14 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:02 AM

or Dragon

Yeah, uber op and meta, you can see competitive teams running 3 Dragons each drop all the time.

NOT

#15 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:03 AM

I never understood why people aren't always playing mechs they have the most fun in.

You know what mech I've been playing the last couple months? An LRM direwolf. I think I do pretty well in it, but If that puts me at tier 5, then so be it. It just means I have plenty of room to learn and grow.

#16 Blue Boutique

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 481 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:05 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 20 August 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

Some mechs since you never see meta Quickdraws, Awesome, Myst Lynx etc.

#17 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:07 AM

View PostJman5, on 20 August 2015 - 09:03 AM, said:

I never understood why people aren't always playing mechs they have the most fun in.

Because the MWO "competitive scene" is serious business.

:lol:

#18 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:07 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 20 August 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

Right now (as far as I know anyway), the main meta is "mah lazzors!" Anything that can effectively boat energy weapons right now is "in the meta". Obviously, some chassis are far better at this than others, which is what most people mean when they say "meta mechs".

For example, I'm leveling a Blackjack 1X right now. Nothing but energy hardpoints. But despite that, it's a medium and runs hot, so I have yet to get called out for being "meta". However, if I were to take a Timber Wolf with the same build...

Other current and common "metas" that I'm aware of right now include:

UAC5 Crabs
DakkaWolves
StreakCrows
ERPPCed Thunderbolts

Not sure if these are still "in the meta"
8SPL Firestarters
Quirked 4G's

(On the plus side, I can bring out my PPC Vindie poptart, and since Vindies "suck", I don't get accused of meta'ing! 2 year old meta is best meta?)

#19 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:11 AM

Dude. 3 years of fun builds for me. The Meta is the drunken Uncle twice removed! ;)

#20 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:15 AM

Agreed! I only run Clanners right now. It's simply not worth the hassle running IS XL's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users