Rookie

• The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA East Coast

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:39 PM

Hello fellow mech pilots,

I salute you.

I bought into MWO a long long time ago. I have even bought many mechs over the years. It has been my way to support the game, Story Universe and the genre I love. Not being able to play has been a tremendous kick in the pants. My health has been crap. I won't get into it other than to say I can now play.

I own many mechs and even a Clan mech. I have decided to go with the Free Rasalhague Republic only because I myself have Norwegian blood in my family tree.

I won't sugar coat this: I need to learn a lot. But I am pushing 50 years old, have the free time and maturity to listen and learn.

So if anyone out there needs more mechs on thier front lines let me know here and I will get in touch with you for a talk.

I will, in the mean time, learn what I can and I hope to see you on the field.

Wolfrider66 signing off.

#2 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:48 PM

Bordering the 50 myself wolf... (48 for the next 5 months)

Welcome on board!! Lot's of good folks here and a lot of good advice to be had as well...

#3 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:59 PM

Welcome back!

One place to start is with Spike Brave's videos: https://www.youtube....tNUCKmcC0Q7pKJQ

Lots of great info there.

So general things I can share off the top of my head is you need to change some Settings. For example, you can adjust your field of view, lower mouse sensitivity down, raise the volume for on the in-game voip if any players are communicating orders. Some of this i can be trial and error and depends on your PC, since there are other elements such as running in 32 bit or 64 bit mode and then DX9 or DX11 and so on to optimize performance.

Other things I've done is, I have reassigned some important keys, such as moved the Targeting Key (default R) to L-ALT. This has been prior to MASC coming to MWO, and so if you have any Executioners or Shadow Cats, then you'd need to make some adjustments there.

And there are plenty of TS servers out there (you'd need Team Speak first) where you can drop with Veterans that can play along side you.

I know I'm being vague right now so, I and other players can expand and detail further as you get back into MWO!

#4 wolfrider66

Rookie

• The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the replies and information Stickjock & Praetor Knight.

Stickjock do actually use a joystick? I have an X52 set and Proflight Combat Rudder Pedals. I would be interested to know if MWO supports these controllers.

Praetor Knight I will tell you my PCs specks here so as to get an idea of what I might need to do. And I do have team Speak 3 installed.

CPU: i7 5960x 8 core 3.0ghz (not overclocked in any way)
GPU: Titan Black 6gb
RAM: 16gb GDDR5 (Corsair, but not sure the speed stat.)
MoBo: Rampage 5 Extreme (ASUS)
RAID 0(zero) 250gb two 125gb SSD
Two Seagate 2tb hybrid drives in a 5 slot hot-swap cage.
Windows 7 professional 64bit
As you can see I still need to buy a good sound card so if any one has a suggestion let me know.

If a game has DX11 I use it, but as far as DX12, I do not think my aged Titan Black can handle that.

I made this machine because as a Professional Land Surveyor I needed and powerful work station to handle Auto Cad and also I am getting into teaching myself graphic arts. To that end I bought a Wacom pro Pen & Touch Medium. In fact I made my first animated cartoon; A goophy puppet doing a dance :)
I use Anime Pro Studio 10, Sketchbook pro and a few freeware 3D modeling programs.

I will look into those tutorials and what not you mentioned and see what else I can find.

I fought my very first MWO battle today. I chose to go out piloting my Orion which I nicknamed Old Lupus. We lost but I did not die and I got an assist kill and damaged a couple more enemies before they got our base. I could not figure out how to bring up a larger map so I could navigate through the lava canyons back to defend our base.

It was glorious! There were mechs jumping around flying through the air like gods of vengeance with lasers, missiles and auto cannon fire ripping up at them. Mechs were exploding losing limbs and tumbling down to lie in the basalt. It was awesome to behold, I look forward to more of the same tomorrow.

For now good night,

wolfrider66

#5 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:34 PM

Cool, so one thing to double check is to make sure that you are in 64 bit mode, which needs to be selected from the Patcher from the two little gears in the top right.

I run in 64 bit mode and I've had very few problems with it and it has boosted/ kept stable my FPS.

Spoiler

From, what I remember your system looks to be in good shape, better than one that I have that's a quad core and stuck with a GTX 460 SE! The Titan Black looks be equal to a 780 for gaming purposes, from what I'm reading.

But it wouldn't hurt to double check your NVidia 3D Settings, such as making sure that Threaded Optimization is turned on.

Here's a thread that has some suggestions for setting that up further.

I recently got the Orions since I picked up the Protector Hero mech. The main draw is that it has a 30% C-Bill boost as an IS Hero mech. Orions can be a bit tricky to run but they can be just fine once you get a feel for them.

The build I've gotten the most consistent results with is running it with a slower engine as a pocket Atlas, three Large Pulse Lasers and two AC/5s, with about four tons of ammo.

And here is a link to smurfy's site, where you can find a lot of good info about mechs and also info on maps.

#6 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:53 PM

If you're joining the FRR check out their TS channel, lots of good people go there, shout out to the 1st Hussars, all players welcome, especially if you have an interest in CW.

#7 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:59 PM

View Postwolfrider66, on 11 August 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

...have the free time and maturity to listen and learn.

You'll do just fine.

<o.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 11 August 2015 - 08:00 PM.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:53 PM

View Postwolfrider66, on 11 August 2015 - 05:57 PM, said:

I have an X52 set and Proflight Combat Rudder Pedals. I would be interested to know if MWO supports these controllers.

CPU: i7 5960x 8 core 3.0ghz (not overclocked in any way)
GPU: Titan Black 6gb
RAM: 16gb GDDR5 (Corsair, but not sure the speed stat.)
MoBo: Rampage 5 Extreme (ASUS)
RAID 0(zero) 250gb two 125gb SSD
Two Seagate 2tb hybrid drives in a 5 slot hot-swap cage.
Windows 7 professional 64bit
As you can see I still need to buy a good sound card so if any one has a suggestion let me know.

If a game has DX11 I use it, but as far as DX12, I do not think my aged Titan Black can handle that.

I also own an x52 Pro, it does work with MWO, but unfortunately in my experiance MWO works much better with keyboard and mouse.

That is an extremely powerful machine, as for sound cards I have a Sound Blaster X-FI and it sounds great with a decent headset, compared to that the onboard sound or a cheep set of speakers/headphones sound really bad

MWO uses Directx11 but does not support directx 12, and I am not sure if/when it will.

I fought my very first MWO battle today. I chose to go out piloting my Orion which I nicknamed Old Lupus. We lost but I did not die and I got an assist kill and damaged a couple more enemies before they got our base. I could not figure out how to bring up a larger map so I could navigate through the lava canyons back to defend our base.

It was glorious! There were mechs jumping around flying through the air like gods of vengeance with lasers, missiles and auto cannon fire ripping up at them. Mechs were exploding losing limbs and tumbling down to lie in the basalt. It was awesome to behold, I look forward to more of the same tomorrow.

the "big map" is called the battlegrid, think of it as that and the shortcut key makes sense, hold "B" to display it.

to properly fly you need a Mech lighter than 80 tonnes and to fit 4+ JumpJets, a lot of people will only fit 1-2 jets then complain that JumpJets are useless

I am glad you are enjoying yourself

#9 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:01 AM

Welcome back! It sounds like you have a decent handle on things. One thing I'd like to mention, for whatever reason this game isn't very efficient and uses more CPU power than it should. As far as your system goes, you're set. If you notice your fps slowing down, you can turn down some of your graphics settings and you will see a performance gain. Even though I have an i7 and a GTX 760, I have most of my settings on medium and I get around 120 fps, with occasional dips to 70 fps. (I use a 144 monitor, so it can handle the fps.) Driving a fast mech the high fps really helps. You can check your fps and also ping by pressing F9.

#10 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:12 AM

Stickjock do actually use a joystick? I have an X52 set and Proflight Combat Rudder Pedals. I would be interested to know if MWO supports these controllers.

No... keyboard and mouse here... name is just a hold over I've been using for years... slang term for a Heavy Weapons fighter in the SCA... haven't fought in a few years now tho'... the old body doesn't heal as fast as it used to...

Anywho... looks like you've gotten some good advice already... good luck out there and enjoy your game time.

See you dirtside!

#11 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:50 AM

Welcome aboard.

There are some units affiliated with the FRR around that you could join, as well as merc units, if you don't mind playing with giggling youngsters half your age :lol:

You can also select the FRR "badge" by clicking on "League" tab (beside store tab) in game and choose your faction. You can find out more with Spike Brave's video on Community Warfare. (I would suggest not going for permanent contract first due to the rewards tied to faction ranks in CW, until you're sure you wouldn't mind missing out on the other faction rewards)

#12 wolfrider66

Rookie

• The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:47 PM

I can tell by all the replias with great information and well wishes that there is a solid good community here. This is a fantastic thing. I did activate my Rasalhague badge or Medalion dragnier1 so I will see what that means I guess.

I will look up the FRR Team Speak and if I meet any 1st Hussars I will give them your reguards Ace ;)

I look forward as always to becoming part of this community,

wolfrider66

#13 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:51 PM

welcome!

#14 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:23 AM

View Postwolfrider66, on 12 August 2015 - 04:47 PM, said:

I can tell by all the replias with great information and well wishes that there is a solid good community here. This is a fantastic thing. I did activate my Rasalhague badge or Medalion dragnier1 so I will see what that means I guess.

I will look up the FRR Team Speak and if I meet any 1st Hussars I will give them your reguards Ace ;)

I look forward as always to becoming part of this community,

wolfrider66

The liao "badge" below my username in the forums is what i am referring to. You set that while inside the game.

Top menu options "Home", "Mechlab", "Skills", "Faction", "Store" and "Play Now".

The one i underlined. Go look at the top menu when you enter the game. I'll add Spike Brave's tutorial video for you to watch as well. A Solo look at Community Warfare

For now just pick a temporary contract. Once you're decided you can take the permanent one as well, that is, after you have evaluated your options.

Edited by dragnier1, 13 August 2015 - 04:24 AM.

#15 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:04 AM

"I also own an x52 Pro, it does work with MWO, but unfortunately in my experience MWO works much better with keyboard and mouse."

Seconded. I played MW3/MW4 with the x52. Diehard fan of Saitek. But its not effective here. You can spend months being stubborn about it like I was, but in the end you will be assimilated - mouse is the way to go. There are some good multi-button gaming mouses out there, look into one.

I use the Saitek throttle for my left, mouse for my right. Try that, swap the stick out for a mouse.

Edited by Fenrisulvyn, 13 August 2015 - 05:04 AM.

#16 DERANGEDDM

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:34 AM

I use a saitek x52 HOTAS, no rudder though. I have made it work for me. I don't play a lot of wasd + mouse games, so I found I was too.clumsy on keyboard. Joystick is definitely challenging for accuracy...

#17 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:59 AM

View Postwolfrider66, on 11 August 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

Hello fellow mech pilots,

I salute you.

I bought into MWO a long long time ago. I have even bought many mechs over the years. It has been my way to support the game, Story Universe and the genre I love. Not being able to play has been a tremendous kick in the pants. My health has been crap. I won't get into it other than to say I can now play.

I own many mechs and even a Clan mech. I have decided to go with the Free Rasalhague Republic only because I myself have Norwegian blood in my family tree.

I won't sugar coat this: I need to learn a lot. But I am pushing 50 years old, have the free time and maturity to listen and learn.

So if anyone out there needs more mechs on thier front lines let me know here and I will get in touch with you for a talk.

I will, in the mean time, learn what I can and I hope to see you on the field.

Wolfrider66 signing off.

You're gonna be fine. If you ever need help, with virtually any subject game related, I can offer my expertise. I mostly specialize in designing builds, for all mechs, and training pilots for light, medium, and assault classes (I SUCK, absolutely SUCK at heavies, much as I love punching people's faces in with my Orions, I'm not good enough to teach people how to work those death engines. I also can't teach you how to pilot an Atlas properly. I'm still learning that one myself. However, Sarlic has written enough on the subject, to teach a 100 people).

Just PM me, in game or on the forums (I check here on average twice a day).

Get Teamspeak 3, it's free, and a great asset.

Also, save Every single C-Bill you're making off of your first 25 matches (you'll know you're done, when you get the "Knight Errant" achievement). During those 25 matches, you are getting extra income, it all totals up to 9-11 million C-Bills, and will help you with customizing the mechs you already own, and purchasing new ones.

View PostAce Selin, on 11 August 2015 - 07:53 PM, said:

If you're joining the FRR check out their TS channel, lots of good people go there, shout out to the 1st Hussars, all players welcome, especially if you have an interest in CW.

Absolutely important. If you decide to wade into CW, teamwork is paramount, and just because you dropped in alone, doesn't mean you can't cooperate, and coordinate with the other 11 people on your team. You'll run into premade teams, and they can mop the floor with you. However, if you coordinate, and people do their jobs, you can bloody them as much as they do you.

#18 wolfrider66

Rookie

• The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:06 AM

Yes IraqiWalker I have watched a video, I wish I could remember who hosted it, about pre-made teams. They train together and fight together as one and look very formidable. This is actually what I am looking for i.e. I want to be a part of a team ;)

Oh before I forget, I can hang with most acronyms but what is CW?

It seems simple but I am coming up with several it could be but not sure if I am right lol.

#19 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:49 AM

CW is Community Warfare A separate game mode with different objectives, played out on the map of the Inner Sphere, with different mechanics to regular matches, and highly reliant on coordination.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 13 August 2015 - 11:49 AM.

#20 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:19 PM

View Postwolfrider66, on 13 August 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

I have watched a video, I wish I could remember who hosted it, about pre-made teams. They train together and fight together as one and look very formidable. This is actually what I am looking for i.e. I want to be a part of a team ;)

there are a lot of player ran units in the game, many are happy to help train new players, you have said you prefer the Free Rasalhague Republic here is a link to the FRR recruitment forum
http://mwomercs.com/...ment-kungsarme/
the Comunit Warfare forum is where you will find units who are actively looking for new players
http://mwomercs.com/...munity-warfare/
there is a subforum for each faction as well as Mercenary Units which will switch between various factions

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users