- - - - -

Crazy Damage!?! And Which Clan?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:56 PM

Hey guys I have playing MWO off and on since December 2013.

I started playing CW again so I now use the practice fields and regular MWO games to gauge the worth of my Omnimech builds. I recently built an ADR-D build with 3SPLs,1 SRM-6,+1 LPL. While playing Conquest on the New River City map, I came under LRM Fire but took shelter and waited. I then slunk under the platform at the Citadel then ran for the docks. On the way I ran into a Stalker for awhile I tried to circle it but gave up and face hugged it instead. I alphaed about 2 times then overheated. I thought I was dead but no scratch one Stalker. I ran and CAPped for awhile before running into an Awesome. I alphaed his right side destroying his arm. I ran like a teen stealing cigarettes. After the game was over I had 1Kill,1Kill Assist, and 80 damage. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot how did that happen!?!

I love Clan Wolf but would switching to Jade Falcon or Ghost Bear help me earn more C-Bills and play more CW games? Are those other Clans biggier with more members?

Thank you all immensely and I am grateful for your replies.

#2 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:49 PM

Let me see if I understand you. You did 3 alphas and are wondering why you only got 80 damage? Sounds about right to me. Your lasers only do full damage if the beam is on target for the entire time. Similarly, your srms do damage per missile that hits. The further you are from your target the more they spread. Also, srms have an absolute maximum range. One meter beyond that and they do no damage. (Okay, that may be a little hyperbolic.) Lasers have a maximum range as well and beyond that they do reduced damage, which decreases the further away the enemy is until the damage is zero.

As far as which clan to join, I'm not one to say because I joined a merc corps. The advantage of that for CW is that we take contracts which alternate between clans and IS so we get to use all of out mechs.

The amount of c-bills earned really depends on how well you and your team do. I've had some matches where I lost money because I used consumables, and others where I didn't need to use the consumables and wound up making a ton of money.

Also note that CW lumps pugs and groups together, unlike conquest, assault and skirmish where groups and pugs have separate queues.

Edited by mailin, 12 August 2015 - 05:50 PM.

#3 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:11 PM

Well, if you scored a kill on only 80 damage, you're doing SOMETHING right as a light mech pilot. Interesting build too, BTW.

Alphas aren't maybe the BEST solution, given the relative (for a light mech) diversity of that build. The SPLs range at like 160-ish meters or less for max damage, the SRMs work out to 270 meters or so, and the LPL goes a LOT further (though it's MEDIUM range, really). In a light mech, you really want to use the speed (ADR isn't the best chassis for this) to close quickly to within the OPTIMAL range for your weapons, unload, and then be immediately behind cover to cool down. (Hit and Run, IIRC, pays a little extra in C-Bills.) Or STAY behind that assault mech and keep dumping well-heat-managed fire into the soft back plates. Remember, of course, that if he has any allies left, you can count on them trying to support him against an obvious light mech antagonist.

Wanna make the C-Bills? Keep doing that. You got a kill and an assist, so that's good money and XP right there. Bump up the assists. Look, if you get so much as a single point of damage on an enemy mech, and it later is killed by someone on your team, you get an assist. One of your priorities, if you're looking to max your money take, is to get damage on ALL TWELVE enemy mechs. Kills, assists, and component destructions, are all great for money and XP. Run around, poke at as many different bad guys as you can, and then start picking your prey for quick hit-and-run backstabs.

You'd really rather have a faster mech for this. But you have what you have. Make it work.

One other word of advice. DO NOT EVER show your back to any enemy mech, as long as you can help it. If you're running away, do it at an oblique angle, and dive for cover rather than simply putting the most distance between. Take that damage anywhere but on the back. Even if you have the same amount of back armor as the bigger mechs, you have less internal structure under it holding that torso together. A single well-placed gauss round can core a fresh light from behind, and there are a lot of pilots out there that can hit a Jenner dead-center at a sprint (I've been that Jenner before). But they can't hit it through a hill or a building (or another of their friendly mechs).

As for the clans, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe do like mailin suggests, and stay merc. Pick your contracts, float around and see what fits you best. I kinda lean Jade Falcon, but that's just me and I'm weird...

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:44 PM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 12 August 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

I started playing CW again so I now use the practice fields and regular MWO games to gauge the worth of my Omnimech builds. I recently built an ADR-D build with 3SPLs,1 SRM-6,+1 LPL. While playing Conquest on the New River City map, I came under LRM Fire but took shelter and waited. I then slunk under the platform at the Citadel then ran for the docks. On the way I ran into a Stalker for awhile I tried to circle it but gave up and face hugged it instead. I alphaed about 2 times then overheated. I thought I was dead but no scratch one Stalker. I ran and CAPped for awhile before running into an Awesome. I alphaed his right side destroying his arm. I ran like a teen stealing cigarettes. After the game was over I had 1Kill,1Kill Assist, and 80 damage. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot how did that happen!?!

I love Clan Wolf but would switching to Jade Falcon or Ghost Bear help me earn more C-Bills and play more CW games? Are those other Clans biggier with more members?

your Adder can do 43 damage per alpha strike if you hold the lasers on target and all the SRMs hit, as you mention overheating you probably missed a significant portion of the beam duration that time, and you likely also missed with some of the beam duration or missiles on at least one of your shots. in the past I have finished a match with a kill and 0 damage, I walked around a corner, fired on an enemy Mech which the team was focus firing, I would guess I dealt the last 1/2 point of damage to kill it, then my Spider died.
Kills are awarded to the person who fires the shot that finishes off a Mech, they do not take into account how much of the damage you did.

Faction size makes absolutely no difference to match score,

last I heard Wolf and Jade Falcon were roughly tied for the largest Clan faction, with Ghost bear the smallest

#5 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:35 AM

You tactics - solo rush and hide under some bridge 9/10 of match time is wrong. Even fastest mech must take action in packs of 2-3 mech. You best position as ADR pilot is to protect heavy's and assault's back armor and stick with 2 of them at range 50-200m. Watch for range meter and use weapons at full strength according with effective range. Shoot flankers ASAP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users