#42 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:20 PM

View PostPoisoner, on 13 August 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

Do you guys not love this mech or does it get overshadowed by the other super cool unseen?

Wasnt it intended as anti-aircraft?

Never used one in BT. Though i suppose with AC2s and a good gunnery skill you could chip away at paint from afar...

Unseen? Warhammer, Marauder, Phoenix Hawk, Archer(i would LRM for pure nostalgia). Maybe even the Stinger or Wasp.

#43 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:36 PM

ya it was AA

#44 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:15 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 14 August 2015 - 06:20 PM, said:

Wasnt it intended as anti-aircraft?

So was the Jagermech, now you see them runnin' around as Brawlers with AC20s and snipers with Dual Goose rifles.

Firestarter was "intended" as an anti-infantry mech, and it's an absolute monster against other Mechs here in MW:O.

Mech roles, what they were "intended" to do, in BT means absolutely NOTHING in MW:O.

#45 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:19 PM

The rifleman was AA but the Spider was anti infantry

#46 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:30 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 14 August 2015 - 08:19 PM, said:

The rifleman was AA but the Spider was anti infantry

Emphasis on "was".
In MWO, none of it matters. The only thing that would matter is that it has high, arm-mounted hardpoints.
If added, it'd still be probably the best 60 tonner in the game, just because of it.

Definitely better than the Dragon or the Quickdraw, if ignoring quirks (only because i've no idea what quirks would the Rifleman get, so you can't really compare them)

#47 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:32 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 14 August 2015 - 08:15 PM, said:

Mech roles, what they were "intended" to do, in BT means absolutely NOTHING in MW:O.

except when ach obscures mlx they justify it that it was its bt role to replace mlx

#48 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:41 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 14 August 2015 - 08:32 PM, said:

except when ach obscures mlx they justify it that it was its bt role to replace mlx

*PGI logic*

It's the same reason they didn't want to nerf the Timber Wolf's agility, "because they wanted to keep its lore agility", while downright ignoring Quickdraw's agility being absolute garbage, when in lore it was supposed to be more agile than anything else in its weight class.

The whole MLX vs ACH is just absolute bollocks. Though i can't decide whether it's because of incompetence or malice.
I mean, i don't play Clan mechs and even I can see how much the Mist Lynx got f*cked over by the introduction of the Arctic cheater.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 14 August 2015 - 08:42 PM.

#49 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:43 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 14 August 2015 - 08:41 PM, said:

The whole MLX vs ACH is just absolute bullocks.

fixt

#50 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:44 PM

View PostEscef, on 14 August 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

It outguns the Awesome. The armament is not bad, all things considered. The problem is that it has jack diddly for heat sinks.

Outguns the awesome? Let's see Rifleman's standard loadout: RFL-3N
2LL, 2AC5 2ML
That's 36 damage vs the awesome 3ppc 1slas at 32.

Looks good on paper right? Until you remember that 30 of that Awesome's damage, is going out beyond even the Large Lasers the Rifelman can fire. So the awesome has MORE armor, and better range, Also is unreliant on ammo for 1/3 of it's weaponry.

The Rifleman can only do 10 effective damage at the same ranges the Awesome's 30 is functioning at.

So, yeah, on paper, Rifleman does more damage, and CAN do potentially more damage than the Awesome at closer ranges. but it's outranged by the heavier assault mech. which isn't good when the Rifleman is ment to be a dedicated Anti-Air mech.

#51 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:44 PM

Jagermech looks cooler than a Rifleman, and 5 tons heavier gives it an advantage. Plus the Rifleman's AWACs radar has no place in the game, since the design is copied from the Destroid Defender in Macross, and that is an antiaircraft mech.

#52 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:27 AM

View PostAnjian, on 14 August 2015 - 11:44 PM, said:

Jagermech looks cooler than a Rifleman, and 5 tons heavier gives it an advantage. Plus the Rifleman's AWACs radar has no place in the game, since the design is copied from the Destroid Defender in Macross, and that is an antiaircraft mech.

Considering the mech is getting a redesign along with ALL the Macross unseen, this entire line of reasoning is pointless, since soon these "unseen" will no longer be so, which is why there's so many discussions on the topic lately.

#53 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:37 AM

View PostFlash Frame, on 14 August 2015 - 11:44 PM, said:

Outguns the awesome? Let's see Rifleman's standard loadout: RFL-3N
2LL, 2AC5 2ML
That's 36 damage vs the awesome 3ppc 1slas at 32.

Looks good on paper right? Until you remember that 30 of that Awesome's damage, is going out beyond even the Large Lasers the Rifelman can fire. So the awesome has MORE armor, and better range, Also is unreliant on ammo for 1/3 of it's weaponry.

The Rifleman can only do 10 effective damage at the same ranges the Awesome's 30 is functioning at.

So, yeah, on paper, Rifleman does more damage, and CAN do potentially more damage than the Awesome at closer ranges. but it's outranged by the heavier assault mech. which isn't good when the Rifleman is ment to be a dedicated Anti-Air mech.

All of this is true.

That assault mech is also slower and a whopping 20 tons heavier.

My point was that the Rifleman is not under-gunned in any way, shape, or form. In fact, it is over-gunned. Armament at the cost of heat sinks, armor, and even adequate ammo. Hell, if you look at the old TRO3025 heavies, it is also the slowest 60 ton mech listed (the Dragon, Quickdraw, Ostroc, and Ostsol all could run at 8 MP; the Rifleman topped at 6), so compared to other mechs its size it also sacrificed speed, too.

Obviously, the price the Rifleman pays for that firepower is far more than the chassis can handle.

#54 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:33 AM

View PostEscef, on 15 August 2015 - 12:37 AM, said:

All of this is true.

That assault mech is also slower and a whopping 20 tons heavier.

My point was that the Rifleman is not under-gunned in any way, shape, or form. In fact, it is over-gunned. Armament at the cost of heat sinks, armor, and even adequate ammo. Hell, if you look at the old TRO3025 heavies, it is also the slowest 60 ton mech listed (the Dragon, Quickdraw, Ostroc, and Ostsol all could run at 8 MP; the Rifleman topped at 6), so compared to other mechs its size it also sacrificed speed, too.

Obviously, the price the Rifleman pays for that firepower is far more than the chassis can handle.

That's quite true.

I like the Rifleman, it does look pretty awesome and it has one hell of a set of firepower I suppose.

But I just think it get's outshined by the other unseen simply because, it's a bit overpowered and can't handle that power, as well as the well known paper thin armor.

#55 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:55 AM

View PostFlash Frame, on 14 August 2015 - 11:44 PM, said:

the Rifleman is ment to be a dedicated Anti-Air mech.

Point of order here: The AA capabilities of the RFN is not its primary role:

"Although designed to be primarily a fire-support 'Mech, the Rifleman can hold its own in close combat against lighter 'Mechs.
[...]
The Rifleman's secondary role is that of anti-aircraft platform, as its Garret D2j tracking system provides excellent acquisition of swift-moving aerial targets.
[...]
Today, the Successor Houses deploy the RFN-3N primarily in a mobile overwatch capacity. The 3Ns hold the heights, providing long-range bombardment for the advance of heavier 'Mechs such as Marauders or Thunderbolts. This also enables the Rifleman to function as an effective reserve, using its lasers at close range if the main advance bogs down. As a last resort, it can even rush into physical combat against enemy forces that might penetrate the main line."
- TRO:3025 (original), p82

Also, the "spoiler" antenna on top is not for the Garret D2j tracking system, it's for its Garret T11-A communications system:

"Although the Garret T11-A com system is highly efficient, its wing-shaped antenna system tends to draw fire, occasionally disrupting communications in Rifleman-led units. Some units have been equipped with the more compact, less vulnerable Tek Battlecom system, which provides highly reliable communications even in heavy combat situations. As Battlecom systems are available only by scavenging Phoenix Hawk or Wolverines, most Riflemen retain the Garret unit and its troublesome antenna."
- ibid.

#56 MookieDog

• PipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 93 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

The Rifleman is severely lacking. I honestly had high hopes for this mech because of the nostalgia, but really the devs did this mech wrong. The quirks are pretty much the worst I have seen so far for a mech. This mech is not anywhere nears as good as Jager, and is even lacking compared to a Blackjack. The Rifleman, has neither the speed, defiantly not the durability, nor the firepower compared to other mechs if its weight class in the game.

If what was intended for the Rifleman's role was a support mech, the Rifleman falls far short. The Rifleman only has two variants, three total chassis, with a -5% heat (energy) generation, which isn't even "a drop in the bucket". The AC-5 quirk on the -3N is nice but only has two hard points. Both Enforcer's and Hunchback's are far superior in fire support roles compared to the Rifleman at ten tons less. At ten tons more both Warhammer's and Cataphract's have the ability to carry four AC-5's and use chain fire. While the ballistic cool down with the AC-5 quirk is nice, the Rifleman has to sacrifice either the firepower of the large lasers, or the heat management of extra heat sinks.

Both the Dragon and Quickdraw are faster (can use higher rated engines), have better structure quirks, and have a far superior choice of weaponry. Moving past the fact that the Rifleman is not a Jager, the Rifleman has no access to any type of missiles, jump jets, or ECM. The wing on top of the mech is cosmetic only and when hit, transfers all damage to the center torso. While the Rifleman has a much smaller silhouette than either the Dragon or the Quickdraw, the Rifleman still has to expose itself from the waist up, making its smaller size a mute point.

While the Rifleman does look cool, its nothing more than a nostalgia mech. Hurry up PGI and please deliver my Archers.

Edited by MookieDog, 16 February 2016 - 09:27 PM.

#57 Ghostmaker

• PipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 31 posts
  • LocationGalatea

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:29 PM

View PostEscef, on 14 August 2015 - 12:35 AM, said:

Rifleman is a glass cannon. Poorly armored, hot as hell, unexemplary speed. Strangely, however, the 2xAC5/2xLL combo is not bad in MWO.

It's exactly what it is supposed to be, love it.

#58 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:18 AM

Personally i'd like to have my $35 back but i cannot see it happening... They are that bad in combat..

#59 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:31 AM

View PostSamial, on 17 February 2016 - 12:18 AM, said:

Personally i'd like to have my $35 back but i cannot see it happening... They are that bad in combat..

Oh no! You bought them!?! I could have told you not to do it Samial! You money would have been much better spent on the Kodiak honestly IMO.

I mean they are good at looking like jagers...kinda?

I dont think PGI gives refunds on delivered good unfortunately.

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 14 August 2015 - 08:41 PM, said:

*PGI logic*

It's the same reason they didn't want to nerf the Timber Wolf's agility, "because they wanted to keep its lore agility", while downright ignoring Quickdraw's agility being absolute garbage, when in lore it was supposed to be more agile than anything else in its weight class.

The whole MLX vs ACH is just absolute bollocks. Though i can't decide whether it's because of incompetence or malice.
I mean, i don't play Clan mechs and even I can see how much the Mist Lynx got f*cked over by the introduction of the Arctic cheater.

The MLX wasn't killed by the ACH the MLX was DOA because its not a great mech, its has no quirks to speak (got worse with this patch) of and yes the ACH is leaps and bounds better then the MLX. In almost every category the ACH is way better then the MLX...

but no it didnt kill it because you cant kill something that is already dead.

#60 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:30 AM

I expected to see many more Rifleman mechs last night then I actually did. I think there was 2 or 3 drops where not one single Rifleman was on my team. When the Marauder and Warhammer came out, those things were everywhere (often 3 per team).

Maybe it was just my drops, but I'm wondering how the Rifleman actually did sales wise compared to the previous 2 reseens.

I'm curious if the Archer will look more like the Marauder and Warhammer numbers in match, or more like how the Rifleman has been looking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users