Warning about how a "few" may not have internet next week.

13 replies to this topic

#1 Stray Ion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:33 PM

There is malware that has been going around for months, attempts are still being made to purge it.

Yahoo News Article

The "Alureon" or "Doomsday Virus" as it has been called, changes your settings to use "rogue" DNS servers so "hackers" can redirect your browser to malicious sites for phishing purposes. The FBI is no longer supplying a work around to keep infected poeple safe (tax dollars are tax dollars that IMO could be better spent elseware and it is not their job).

To find out if you are inffected you can use an FBI website http://www.dns-ok.us/ or for those who are parinoid, I can not remember where I saw the actual "Rogue" DNS list and doing a quick search yielded nothing (seriously though, as long as you are not doing or planning on doing something stupid, you have nothing to worry about, plus if your in the USA all web traffic is now being monitored by ISP's anyways).

If you are one of the few who are infected, this is how you can remove it http://www.ehow.com/...te-alureon.html though it involves some steps non tech savy computer users may not be comfortable using.

If I had known this would still be an issue I would have posted about it months ago.

I did a search for "alureon", "DNS" and "doomsday" which all yielded nothing.

Mods and Admins, please feel free to move this where ever you think it fits.

Edited by Stray Ion, 05 July 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#2 Sidra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

Honestly I dont trust the article, seriously no one really hears of this "threat" on most internet forums or even people who make and maintain custom computers for a living. And the only way really to be sure is to have the fbi "scan" your computer? Honestly if people believe the fbi on this one, I have some land to sell them ^_~

#3 matux

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 584 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

Sidra, this was on slashdot a long time ago and it is true.

http://it.slashdot.o...ut-off-300k-pcs

Thats the current one from them about the same thing.

Edited by matux, 05 July 2012 - 10:41 PM.

#4 Sidra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

I'm generally untrusting of most FBI stuff, this just seems a bit too fishy, the common rumor about this is the fbi one this date wont be able to monitor allot of systems they are already spying on do to a new system or something like that, but people who let them "scan" their comps for free would like enter in all sorts of data so they can keep tracking and such. Call me a loon, but I dont really trust the current administration and such right now xP (not meaning to start flame wars or anything, just putting my two cents in)

#5 matux

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 584 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

Hahah ok then.... you're are loon ;), but you're also right not to trust the government.... *cough* WIKILEAKS *cough* No one hid anything from anyone... EVER!!!!

#6 Mandalore82

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 64 posts
  • LocationOutReach

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

Pfft dont trust any of it. If true with all teh computer people I know I would think I would have heard something. Much less heard something from my uncle who works in computers for the pentagon. So its ither a excuss to try an get us to check out his links for what ever purposes. Troll or a ill informed alarmist who heard something from a freinds like how y2k gonna shut us all down.

#7 Sidra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

Meh my simple fix to this that gets rid of EVERYTHING on a comp, if people are really worried, do a reformat and have it delete everything, no fbi needed x3 Whenever I had a nasty virus.trojan,maleware, dns changer. I reformatted and bam, like new again

#8 matux

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 584 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

View PostMandalore82, on 05 July 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

Pfft dont trust any of it. If true with all teh computer people I know I would think I would have heard something. Much less heard something from my uncle who works in computers for the pentagon. So its ither a excuss to try an get us to check out his links for what ever purposes. Troll or a ill informed alarmist who heard something from a freinds like how y2k gonna shut us all down.

Well think of it like this.... The FBI has been hosting a DNS server and seen every website those 250,000 people have requested.... if they really wanted to abuse power they wouldn't be shutting it down.

But next you'll tell me a leap second is made up because your uncle didn't hear about it... and the servers that were affected by it didnt crash or have issues.

#9 Stray Ion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

LOL I will try to find the "rogue" DNS list and how to use your command promt to find your DNS servers. I can remember one nad one started with 200. and I think I recall 18# being good. (you use multiple DNS servers to connect to sites)

The FBI site listed has no TOS and not a scan (therefore can not legally scan your computer at all), it is just a picture that shows up green if your clean or red if your infected. DNS has nothing to do with scanning and how you find websites, you used DNS to get here. In all honesty I could have put that picture here to see if your clean or infected, but knew how some would object to it so I respect their paranoia.

If someone wants, they can search for the "rogue" list and post it here, just remember to explain on how to check your DNS servers. No FBI involved that way. I'm going to bed and will do some more searching in the morning.

Edited by Stray Ion, 05 July 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#10 Sidra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

Well just throwing this two cents in again (wewt four cents noW! bahaha okay I need sleep -.- ) Not sure if you remember but back when this administration first came in, they actually sent out press releases and memos to democratic websites/community members saying if people suspected any friends, family, or neighbors of having views agaisnt the government, to report them to like some .gov website. So spying on allot of the public is a big possibilty

#11 matux

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 584 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

I'm not american and I wasn't aware of that... But still its tax dollars that could be spent else where.... Liking giving MWO a grant for quicker development haha.

#12 ElcomeSoft

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNewcastle upon Tyne, England

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

http://www.fbi.gov/n...ger-malware.pdf

Direct from the FBI themselves.

I'm from the UK, I've checked and I'm fine. This takes under 5 minutes to do, maybe 10 minutes if you don't know how to access your router ;)

#13 Zaron

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

You know, everyone knows how to use a phone book. Entries are sorted alphabeticly, so you look up a name find the number, really simple. Everyone should learn how to manually configure their DNS settings. Find a reliable DNS that you like/trust, like OpenDNS or Google's or Cox's or something, and put the number in your network adapter's DNS entry. Just as simple. If everyone knew how to do that, we wouldn't even be having this problem.

#14 Stray Ion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:32 AM

View PostElcomeSoft, on 05 July 2012 - 11:12 PM, said:

http://www.fbi.gov/n...ger-malware.pdf

Direct from the FBI themselves.

I'm from the UK, I've checked and I'm fine. This takes under 5 minutes to do, maybe 10 minutes if you don't know how to access your router :D

Thank you! You saved me the trouble of having to find it. Though you mentioned FBI I doubt some people will even click it even though it is only a PDF.

The chances of anyone being infected are small, but IMO best to get the word out anyways. For those who will not click the, links I wish you the best of luck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users