Lrm Blindfire: Please Fly Straight!

3 replies to this topic

#1 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

Dev team-

The one mechanic above all others I'd like to see happen with LRMs is that they fly straight and not in a ballistic arc when they are fired without a lock. If we can't get a lock because of ECM or something, we can still use them like PPCs, but the ballistic flight path takes extra time and isn't as efficient. If we are shooting at a straight line target, I'd like to see them behave like SRMs even if they have to fly for 180m before they arm. I think it would be a help in the direct fire game.

#2 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:42 PM

They hit the exact spot your cursor is on.

If you have Artemis, that is. It's actually listed very specifically as one of the features of upgrading to Artemis launchers. You really should be using it anyways. Better lock on times, longer-lasting locks, tighter spread, ability to properly blindfire, etc.

As for the flight path, I'm not sure if I'd like to see straight fire. I suppose it wouldn't hurt.

Edited by Night Thastus, 16 August 2015 - 01:43 PM.

#3 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:22 PM

An interesting thing to note, is that Clan Lurms will track to wherever your crosshair was placed at the very moment you clicked. So even though they use a stream fire mechanic, they will all adjust mid-flight to land on whatever you clicked on.

But to the point of the post, that would make them a little more viable in Direct Fire, but nowhere near useful in a Direct Fire Fight compared to any other weapon (apart from the Flamer). Although a Level Flight Path would allow you to actually have a hope of hitting something coming straight at you, as opposed to having them arc over and most likely miss your original target.
Anyone who says using Lurms takes no skill has never tried to hit a moving target without a lock.

#4 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:35 PM

You're right about that. I can blindfire ALRMs at distance but over 500m it's a waste of time because LRMs fly slow compared to PPCs. I blindfire a lot in this high ECM environment and I use a lot of ASRM4 and SSRM2 as secondaries where possible. The direct fire mechanic of the ASRM4 is what I'm thinking of. Straight line to target at highest possible speed. For use in a mid-range firefight where you're being ECMd and can't get a target lock.

Sometimes, if you have a lock and are firing at min range, around 200-300m, LRMs will fly almost straight because they don't have time to arc. Almost like a longer range SRM. I use SRMs and LRMs together in the window between 270m and 180m, to good effect, and fire blind if I can't get a lock.

And yes, all my LRMs are ALRMs. In my opinion, LRM carriers should bring Artemis and BAP or they're gimping themselves. I tried a new C4 Catapult without Artemis for ONE drop and immediately tweaked it for ALRM20 as soon as the match ended. Never again will I drop packing missiles without Artemis.

Edited by Chados, 17 August 2015 - 05:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users