Laser Duration And Damage.

6 replies to this topic

#1 Pz_DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:27 PM

As far as I know, for now all lasers do max damage after some amount of time, so every millisecond it deal small part of it. So if LL says "9 dmg" and have "duration - 1" it mean it deal /if we count 1 as 60 ms/ like 0.15 dmg/ms. IMHO damage done should not be a linear function - mean in should grow as long as laser remain on target - for example 0.1 dmg/ms for 0-0.2 sec, 0.4 dmg/ms for 0.2-0.6 sec, 0.8 dmg/ms for 0.6-0.8 and 1 dmg/ms for 0.8-1 sec. So with same overall damage lasers will be more focused on "full duartion damage" instead "i'll just shoot to deal "some" fast damage".

P.S. And by the way - imho in CW we need HP of game objectives depend on overall team drop tonnage - if we drop less weight HP should be increased for that "saved" amount.

P.S. ah here should be the poll... but i post it not for community but for devs, coz its ther game and ther rules... so sorry but poll is "a bit" missed..

Edited by MGA121285, 17 August 2015 - 01:29 PM.

#2 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

Hmm... certainly an interesting idea to work with Laser damage.

It should be a good alternative to explore, if the cryengine can do that with laser damage.

#3 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:10 PM

View PostPraetor Knight, on 17 August 2015 - 02:16 PM, said:

if the cryengine can do that with laser damage.

That's a big one right there. Get past that, and I think we might have a fun new idea to experiment with.

Anyone here thinks it would impact clan vs. IS balance, because from just glancing at it, I don't see an issue, the damage ratios would still be the same. Though I guess a new tactic for laser mechs is to burn their lasers early, before popping out, and use the second half to deal the real amount of damage they actually care about.

#4 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

I think the idea was not so much for the laser to ramp damage over fire duration as it was meant to ramp damage vs time on target. Giving the laser more of a penetrative feeling effect as the armor at a specific point super heats and melts away.

#5 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:32 PM

View PostXphR, on 17 August 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

I think the idea was not so much for the laser to ramp damage over fire duration as it was meant to ramp damage vs time on target. Giving the laser more of a penetrative feeling effect as the armor at a specific point super heats and melts away.

Coding-wise, and for the sake of netcode, and HSR. It would be at least 20 times easier to make it ramp damage over time. Instead of damage over hit location. I could be wrong here, but considering how regular lasers, right now, have monstrous Hitreg issues, I don't think damage over location is feasible.

BTW, this would make lights even more powerful (I assume you XphR, already guessed this, this part is for general public), because lightsabering lasers against them will do all of diddly squat in terms of damage to them. Unless a light mech is stopped, you will never hold your laser over one location for any significant point of time to make the damage ramp count.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 17 August 2015 - 04:33 PM.

#6 Pz_DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:04 AM

Well, that was the target - throw out an idea so devs can think about it and use some more flexibility to balance everything. That's why here is no poll ;)

P.S. there are so much "little things" that can be used to balance.... Our PTR servers shoul be burning out of all those testings but instead...

P.P.S. "heat up behore show up to shoot" can be fixed easy - armor penetration rating - the thing that we are missing a lot...

Edited by MGA121285, 18 August 2015 - 08:06 AM.

#7 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:44 PM

View PostMGA121285, on 18 August 2015 - 08:04 AM, said:

Well, that was the target - throw out an idea so devs can think about it and use some more flexibility to balance everything. That's why here is no poll ;)

P.S. there are so much "little things" that can be used to balance.... Our PTR servers shoul be burning out of all those testings but instead...

P.P.S. "heat up behore show up to shoot" can be fixed easy - armor penetration rating - the thing that we are missing a lot...

Well, BT effectively has no armor penetration rating, every weapon deals damage based on how many strips of armor it removes.

http://www.sarna.net...hs_%26_Vehicles

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users