Steam. What role will it play? if any?

238 replies to this topic

#1 Valorcalls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:31 AM

I primarily use the program Steam for my video gaming and organizing my online friends. Will MWO be available through steam's F2P category? Or is it going to be separate from Steam? I found that STO (Star Trek Online) benefited greatly from going F2P on Steam in the population of the game increased.

Thoughts?

Edit: So, after reading everyone's comments and opinions, some do not like steam (but have few reasons why), some like it a lot, and some like the option of not REQUIRING steam, but putting it ON steam.

I do like the third option. If you make steam optional you can get the fan base, while those of you that do not like steam can get it without steam. Allowing those who do not like it to be separate from the more rational people who like it to enjoy it.

Now, a second question. Should they release it at the full release date, or wait until they release the clans and then add it to the game?

Second Edit: Sense no one seems to have the intelligence to come back and read the OP again this thread is now essentially an argument. I wipe my hands clean of this thread. My intent was to hear from Rational People, which Rational and factually backed arguments about their thoughts to either way. In the case of the negatives, there are rational arguments, but no rational backings.

Again. I may have started this thread for a purpose, but this purpose has been twisted (although in the function of engines w/ steam was funny) to a crybaby argument about NOT doing it.

Final Mental status on the topic (I do not care in the slightest if you disagree or not) is that MWO should be OFFERED on steam, but NOT required.

Edited by Valorcalls, 07 July 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#2 BulletChief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 292 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:32 AM

hopefully none... steam sucks.

Edited by BulletChief, 06 July 2012 - 05:32 AM.

#3 grimzod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:34 AM

Agreed, I hate the Steam 'sperience'.

#4 EGH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

steam is the greatest thing to ever grace computer gaming and if it can bring more players to the game i would be happy if it was on.

#5 Valkeminator

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 57 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand.

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:37 AM

Depends on the experience I guess... I find Steam to be good, and at least its better than Origin or *cough*GFWL*Cough*

Heck, I got over 100 games on steam.

Each to their own, but it would be good if I got it on my steam I suppose.

#6 Graewulf

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

View PostBulletChief, on 06 July 2012 - 05:32 AM, said:

^This

#7 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

'Mechs are powered by fusion reactors, so steam is out of the picture.

#8 Gishank

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:38 AM

Whilst I have no problem with Steam, I see no reason for MWO to use it. Steam and MMO's aren't meant to be.

#9 Riin Suul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:41 AM

I don't believe that anyone who thinks that steam sucks has used it in... 5+ years.
steam is probably 80% of what is keeping PC gaming alive today, keeps all your games 100% up to date, and offers AMAZING sales regularly.

EDIT: I own 228 games on steam, and have never had a major issue with it.

Edited by Riin Suul, 06 July 2012 - 05:43 AM.

#10 WolfenTalon

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

Steam is awesome, it's an example to the industry on how to do digital content delivery the right way. I also play Star Trek Online via Steam and would absolutely welcome MW:O and any other MMO's, F2P or otherwise. Sure it has some issues, but you can't deny the exposure it can bring to any game, and this is especially beneficial to MMO's as stated by the OP.

#11 Ultraviper

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 74 posts
  • LocationThe INTERNET

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

View PostGishank, on 06 July 2012 - 05:38 AM, said:

Whilst I have no problem with Steam, I see no reason for MWO to use it. Steam and MMO's aren't meant to be.

First of all there are plenty of MMOs on Steam that work perfectly. Second, what would that have to do with MWO which is obviously not a MMO?

#12 OICU812

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 113 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:43 AM

Steam would be good advertising.....

#13 Zephox

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

I hope it gets released on Steam to. It will most certainly attract more new players that way, and Steam is a solid platform.

#14 Riin Suul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:45 AM

View PostOICU812, on 06 July 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

Steam would be good advertising.....

this. steam would be AMAZING advertising, as 90% of the people I know who game didnt know about MWO until I told them about it.
put MWO on the steam front page (yes, they do put f2p games on there) and instantly probably 70-80% of pc gamers have seen it.

#15 Elwood Blues

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

I'm sure it adds a decent cost to the developer but it opens up the game to a huge audience. I like having access to my steam overlay and friends list in there as well. Great secondary layer to keep your merc unit together.

#16 Dhimmi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

Never understood the hate steam generates as a digital platform agreed it is a kind of DRM and had/has its issues by moments, but it is by far one of the best drm/distribution platform in its kind...

#17 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:52 AM

It may move to steam eventually like a bunch of the other F2P titles like Tribes: Ascend and all that. I'm not sure if it would benifit anybody beyond Steam and Piranha though. I guess you could add your friends more easily because they'd be your Steam friends? But stuff like the in-game store would all be managed outside of Steam so apart from maybe the occassional sale, there wouldn't be much we would see as the consumers.

#18 Apachi69

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:52 AM

AGREED.

#19 LogicalTightRope

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 146 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:55 AM

Steam would be a great thing for this. It'll certainly get a far wider audience, but Russ commented in a thread similar to this saying that at this point, it's kind of a toss-up as to whether they'll use Steam. Sure, it's a great platform and will get the word out, but it comes at a significant cost.

I'm curious here, what's wrong with Steam? I've seen people say this before, but never explain why. I've never run into a problem with it and I use it for most of my games.

#20 Firefun

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

I like and use Steam, I see nothing evil in it.

But being on Steam takes a share of the revenue, imo we will eventually see MWO on Steam, when user numbers are saturated.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users