8 replies to this topic

#1 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:04 PM

New MWO Players, again, HEAR me! (Show Charlie Murphy your side torsos!)

If you're ever going to break out of noobitude and make a serious impact in non-CW MWO, you MUST know those maps! After all, as I'm sure you've noticed, it's not every drop that someone takes charge via text chat or VOIP, tells everyone where to go, and is actually obeyed. Less than half the time these days, even with built-in VOIP (which is a fantastic tool, BTW). You're going to need to know where to go, and honestly, to have an idea what someone's talking about if they mention a specific area or grid location.

In this thread, I want to get veteran players to pitch in on tips and tricks, as well as general knowledge, for each of the maps. I'll occasionally add a map name and a general orientation/overview to the OP here. By all means, I invite everyone to throw in some helpful advice for brand-new mechwarriors concerning the topic of map knowledge.

Format-wise, it's pretty simple. First, I'm going to be using the Smurfy map reference. I'll use the grids therein, and will use the Conquest version of each map (the cap point names make additional points of reference that can be used to point out locations of POIs). Rather than N/S/E/W, I'll talk in terms of up/down/left/right, as I'm not positive that the maps are oriented north-up, and there's no NSA or compass indication on them. Let's start with ...

FROZEN CITY!

Spoiler

#2 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:16 PM

Kinda hard when Training Grounds won't let you bring up the map....

#3 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:45 PM

I absolutely agree, and I think it's one of the most ridiculous oversights in the game. Also, not sure if it's STILL the case, but used to be that BAP didn't give you sensor range bonus in TG, which made me FURIOUS. I can think of no good reason why TG shouldn't play EXACTLY as would a drop. I get that they can't go making all the TG mechs AI and have them fire back, or even stick a couple turrets in there, so as to help you assess your build's survivability. BUT COME ON! GIVE US THE DAMNED MAP, FOR THE LOVE OF KERENSKY!

In the meantime, run around the map WITHOUT being able to look at the MAP, or have it pulled up on a smartphone, tablet, or another computer. Or print one off. Whatever. There ARE other solutions that may apply to a lot of players, at least until the thing that hasn't been right in over three years gets made right.

#4 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:24 PM

Ialwaysmale it a point to mvisit each other the maps inj the training ground, not just to test my battlemechs' performance,l but more so to scout out the entire map, so I know where everything is and which paths are the best to take to get to where you want to go (and thus ambush the enemy many a times in games by doing so after training grounds scouting).

But for me, the problem lies, not with the map themselves, but out of the 24 mechs in each match (drop) almost 3/4 of them are pugswho run off to do their own thing or, in a lot of cases, stay with the group until they see the enemy amassing a lot of their mechs and then scamper away with warning and leaving me die because no one bothers to tell me the see as far as the enemy is concerned, which leaves me to try a dcheckwhatene,y mechs are there and then get slaughted 5 seconds later because of the lack of communication.
Another thing is people who stand in front of you areyou areshooting an enemy mech (happened recently when I had adire wolf almost dead, before a team mates' Raven backed right into me and prevented me from finishing off the Dire Wolf.

But what is worse, I have found, is that no one rarely checks their battle map, on where their team mates areand theyplowright into youor clump together to block your escape route whe you are being pounded by enemy fire, which leaves, me dead within 5 seconds.

Really, I know people like to get individual kills, but it is ridiculous when they do that sort of thing and cost you to die early in the match and then have the whole teamberrate you by saying to learn how to pilot your battlemech.

It has now gotten to the point where anyone on my team who is stupid enough to stand right in front of me and prevent me from dealing that deadly blow, I just shoot my team team members in the back and tell them that if theyeven boted to check the battle map on where their team members are, they they would not be stupid enough to stand in front of a team mates' mech.
To me, if they stand in front of me when I am firing at an enemy, I do not care in the least, I will shoot them, only to show them that they are morons and deserve what they get.

#5 el piromaniaco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 957 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:51 PM

Sarcasm, right?

#6 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:56 AM

View PostLeif Tanner, on 25 August 2015 - 10:24 PM, said:

Ialwaysmale it a point to mvisit each other the maps inj the training ground, not just to test my battlemechs' performance,l but more so to scout out the entire map, so I know where everything is and which paths are the best to take to get to where you want to go (and thus ambush the enemy many a times in games by doing so after training grounds scouting).

But for me, the problem lies, not with the map themselves, but out of the 24 mechs in each match (drop) almost 3/4 of them are pugswho run off to do their own thing or, in a lot of cases, stay with the group until they see the enemy amassing a lot of their mechs and then scamper away with warning and leaving me die because no one bothers to tell me the see as far as the enemy is concerned, which leaves me to try a dcheckwhatene,y mechs are there and then get slaughted 5 seconds later because of the lack of communication.
Another thing is people who stand in front of you areyou areshooting an enemy mech (happened recently when I had adire wolf almost dead, before a team mates' Raven backed right into me and prevented me from finishing off the Dire Wolf.

But what is worse, I have found, is that no one rarely checks their battle map, on where their team mates areand theyplowright into youor clump together to block your escape route whe you are being pounded by enemy fire, which leaves, me dead within 5 seconds.

Really, I know people like to get individual kills, but it is ridiculous when they do that sort of thing and cost you to die early in the match and then have the whole teamberrate you by saying to learn how to pilot your battlemech.

It has now gotten to the point where anyone on my team who is stupid enough to stand right in front of me and prevent me from dealing that deadly blow, I just shoot my team team members in the back and tell them that if theyeven boted to check the battle map on where their team members are, they they would not be stupid enough to stand in front of a team mates' mech.
To me, if they stand in front of me when I am firing at an enemy, I do not care in the least, I will shoot them, only to show them that they are morons and deserve what they get.

I have experienced this a lot more lately and I can't see a reason for it. If I am standing on a ledge, they absolutely have to squeeze between me and it. It's like they are doing it on purpose. Once there they don't shoot, just stare out at the world in wonder and then move away. By then the enemy I had in my sights has taken cover.

#7 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:48 AM

There are still a lot of people who constantly run in fully zoomed mode. Bad idea because they can't see enemies or friendlies just a little to the side.

As far as map knowledge, I actually prefer to learn in the heat of battle. Mainly because you don't get anything for running around on the training grounds.

#8 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:47 AM

View Postmailin, on 26 August 2015 - 06:48 AM, said:

There are still a lot of people who constantly run in fully zoomed mode. Bad idea because they can't see enemies or friendlies just a little to the side.

This drives me absolutely nuts when I'm observing. I've seen Novas fully kitted out with small pulse lasers try to brawl fully zoomed. Not only is your mech control going to be utter crap since your mouse movement won't really translate well, but you won't be able to see around your target to know when you're walking between it and a friendly that's trying to help you kill it. Just for example.

#9 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:10 PM

View PostTorezu, on 26 August 2015 - 07:47 AM, said:

This drives me absolutely nuts when I'm observing. I've seen Novas fully kitted out with small pulse lasers try to brawl fully zoomed. Not only is your mech control going to be utter crap since your mouse movement won't really translate well, but you won't be able to see around your target to know when you're walking between it and a friendly that's trying to help you kill it. Just for example.

Yep, which is why I wrote it. I see it too. These tend to be the same players who don't press R. It's almost like they don't want to get any help and don't want to be distracted. Kind of reminds me of a horse with blinders on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users