4 replies to this topic

#1 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:11 AM

Now it takes no genius to know what problems people have with CW, they've been rehearsed enough on these forums.

But how would you set up CW, I mean everything expect the types of missions or game modes (although if you want add those you can).

So how would you implement player based strategy on the galaxy map? Because you can't have every loyalist faction being able to assign attacks.

How would loyalists, merc units and lone wolfs fit into this. What would be in it for them?

How would the great unwashed of steam or someone stumbling on MWO get into it?

What would planets mean?

What would happen if say the clans reach earth?

Is there a win criteria? What happens if someone is wiped out?

How closely would it follow lore and how would you do that?

Is there an economy? how would it work with the solo queue?

How would it work for someone that is only able to play for a small amount of time and may be irregularly?

#2 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,991 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:05 AM

I would sort of copy my favorite PC game of all time which was Task Force 1942
I played this game for years and never got tired of it

It’s based on the WWII Guadalcanal Campaign, the campaign started with you unloading your strike force
On the island of Guadalcanal. The landings where defended by two task forces and a landing force

The Japanese find out and come barreling in at night to attack this force, you are kept real busy maneuvering your ships into position, dodging torpedoes’ and firing your own

The game used actual projectile ballistics (for some reason it sounds cool to have that but I had no way of checking) in its shell trajectory.

Sometimes the ship commanders would not do what you say and you had to drill down to the ships bridge and take control, sometimes you took over the gun director and fired the guns your self

So the magic of this game was the ability of enjoying the game at all levels
1) Area commander you made up the task force missions selecting the ships including supply ships you would need to resupply the Marines on the island

2) You fought off the attacks from Japanese who came down the "slot" to try to shell the island
When you fought on the Japanese side your job was to disrupt and take back the island

3) Task force to task force battles

4) Time frame you had to keep the island resupplied in the time required to be declared the winner

Sometimes these things would take a few hours to play a game

You could play the game as American or Japanese’s and each had their own characteristics.

MWO CW

The game right now is set up pretty dang good considering they started from scratch

1) Overall game plan is Inner Sphere vs. Clans, win conditions (1) take Terra. Win condition (2) take the home planets of all the factions (might have to be 4 of the six or something along those lines)

2) The next level of the game is faction vs. faction there will be two sides of this, one is the constant fighting trying to save the IS from the evil Clans, the second is the monthly event/events
The monthly event is smaller campaign

3) Next level of the game is what we have now the planetary grind but just needs a few tweaks

4) Mech to Mech combat we have that already sure we complain but overall not bad just needs some tweaks

Wow this is getting to long for anyone to read so let’s talk about economy next time

#3 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:46 PM

Wow haven't thought about TF1942 for a long time. Really enjoyed that game, at least until one of your planes decided to fly home to Japan for the winter stopping you from fast forwarding the time. I managed to overtake the Japanese carrier fleet at night with a mixed force of BB's and Cruisers. Sent the whole lot to the bottom in a blaze of gunfire. Won the war right there.

I digress.

CW need primarily to be more fun. This means:-
-More variety of maps and objectives
-keep the elite comp teams away from regular players to avoid the stomp you just know is coming once you see who is on the other side, give them unit v unit on solaris for prizemoney, include a CBill only betting pool
-logistics including repair and rearm
-some sort of strategic level planning so factions can confer between units and assign objectives
-higher rewards including planetary bonuses
-better definitions of loyalist, merc and lone wolf and their roles.
-loyalists set faction policy and goals (unit votes), can own planets for their factions. long term LP, CB and XP bonuses, factions pay for repairs and consumables (free)
-Mercs work for factions or other units, high CB earnings, average LP and XP bonuses but can move around at will, cannot own planets unless awarded as a land hold for services rendered (ultimate reward for mercs), merc units pay for own repairs and consumables (coffers), black market in used item and mechs etc, prices vary by faction , planet etc. some things unavailable from time to time, units can earn CB (for coffers)and reputation for completing contracts
-Lone Wolves, work for factions or Mercs on a match by match basis, moderate CBill, XP and LP earnings, current employer pays for repairs and consumables.

I could go on but that is enough for now.

Edited by slide, 26 August 2015 - 10:13 PM.

#4 MadFJohn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 202 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:00 PM

you should read
http://www.sarna.net...ctical_Handbook
it give a over view on taking a planet and different missions. You also do not have to have the 12 vs 12 in this theres plenty lance tactics on here. you also need to implement equipment war while fighting for a planet and same goes for supplies.

( bad speller here but i am trying)

#5 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:52 AM

the hand book is interesting but doesn't appear that link has anything to do with planet invasion or defence and the practical problems of having say 100 players and a dozen units arguing over whether to attack planet A or B.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users