No replies to this topic

#1 icey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 301 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:57 PM

Posted this in the announcement thread, but I'll put it here also in the hope that it gets seen:

Still downloading, sounds good from the description

Whatever you guys do for NPE, make sure you don't neglect to explain and quantify the core game mechanics.

New players have no way to find out how structure and HP is calculated, how critical hits work, how damage transfer works (how much HP their mechs even have?), or how the heat system works without asking other players or finding player made guides on the forums or reddit

Just last week I had a friend who I've played with for ages demonstrate that he didnt know that DHS past 10 contained in the engine (so for example the 2 external DHS on the XL300) were only 1.4 'poordubs'. So much stuff like that is not explained in-game, and it makes it difficult for players to understand when they are making mistakes.

The complexity and depth of this game's core mechanics is what makes it awesome, but without anyone to explain it, a lot of new players probably come and go from the game without even scratching the surface of it.

Please don't neglect this before any potential Steam launch.

As an aside - honestly, I've been playing for over three years and I can tell you I still don't know the relationship between cooling rates and ambient temperature, other than just hot maps = cool off slower. How much slower? how many effective heatsinks is playing on a cold map worth? I have no idea. We're going for more of a simulator crowd rather than arcade, lets explain some of the complexity, it's what makes this game interesting and what will create lasting appeal for new players who maybe never played a mechwarrior game before, but like 'smart' games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users