Academy Feature Creep--Multiplayer Lances

No replies to this topic

#1 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:20 PM

I tweeted Russ earlier about this, but twitter is tough to fully flush out thoughts.

I like the idea of Gauntlet and Running Cored. A lot. Reminds me of the 1st person shooter horde/[1945 Fanatical German Solider] zombie modes that I've played a ton of with friends over the years. This begs the question: can it be turned into multiplayer for a lance? This could do a lot of good things, if Gauntlet/Cored payed some cbills and xp:

1. An avenue to help the new player who has some experienced friends. Bringing the new guy into normal group is a surefire way to either create ROFLStomps, or watch as the new pilot get's pounded in the first minute and the team has to carry harder. No fun. Creating a group PvE experience could give pilots a chance to mentor their new friends

2. A place to go when MM hates your group. Yes, I'm pretty decent, but after 11pm Pacific the only people left are the comp folks in the group queue. I still want to play, but getting stomped by the same group over and over makes me choose sleep over gaming.

3. Lots of opportunity to make many different scenarios with very little mapmaking/game changing effort. I.E. Defend this building/o-gen/whatever for XX minutes while the people are evacuated, and limit an existing map to an appropriate size/area. Scenarios don't have to be complicated, just enough to be slightly interesting.

There is a problem of this creating a death spiral of multiplayer. I'd propose that cbill rewards would need to be at least 25% less than normal games, to incentivise new players to move into the multiplayer once they've had some additional training, or grind out enough cbills to fully kit out the mech they really wanted, after they made a silly mistake like choosing an unquirked Trebuchet 7M as a first mech (guilty).

All of this is feature creep for sure and the focus of the moment is to get the new player experience improved, but how hard could it be to take the next step where vets can help new players in a safer environment?

edit: N@z! triggers the censors?

Edited by Big Tin Man, 27 August 2015 - 02:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users