Excellent! Here Are My Notes.

No replies to this topic

#1 gl0w

• PipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:05 PM

Looks great, I love the feel of the interface and the guys voice seems appropriate. Would love to see some more snarkiness to his character, but he gets the job done.
  • In regards to the tutorial speech, I think adding replay speech functionality, so you can have them read it to you again, would a nice touch. Just a replay icon next to the mute icon should suffice.
  • The mute button doesn't really stand out due to its size, and could use a different color to compensate (and tooltip).
  • In the movement part, where you're allowed to run around and hit the various keys to pass the objectives, it currently stops speech and starts the next message if you complete another while he's still reading the first. I think the speech/objective completion messages should be in a queue that waited until the previous one was done before starting the next.
  • During transitions, the rendered world ideally wouldn't need to be totally blacked out if not actually changing it, such as for the primary messages in each section. It would be better with a little transparency so it still feels like you're in your mech getting messages. Even better would be projecting it onto the cockpit glass or monitor so it looks like a comm system is built into the mech. These weird transitions happen a lot in the second phase.
  • Pressing escape doesn't pause audio, and doing it when another objective or message is about to pop up still continues as if you didn't click escape
  • When killing the Battlemaster, he moved a few meters and turned about 90 more degrees, then fell as if that was the direction he was facing. Might be an animation mix up in there somewhere.
  • I think you should spread out the three mechs to target a little more. At least put them around the corner. The game of finding them is kind of a let down it's so easy. All you have to do is rotate and you can shoot all 3.
  • While I like River City, and using it to show off the latest stuff right there in the tutorial, it's pretty performance intensive, and I've experienced audio skips and hangs when loading. I think maybe sending people to the settings with some words before loading in.
  • The end of the basic tutorial with killing 5 mechs, would be better served with more kill types. XL ST and Rear CT specifically, but also maybe have one of the one armed mechs suggest you shoot the other arm first.
Second Section
  • Getting the overheat out there a little bit before someone overheats seems like a good idea. It took me overheating a couple times before I learned about taking damage from overheating.
  • Switching mechs is great. Targeting to see load out makes sense, but I think some words of wisdom from the trainer here would be helpful. Perhaps boosting targeting speed might make it feel a little lets awkward too.
  • For the Gauntlet and Running Cored modes, I think mentioning that shooting enemies disables them for 10 seconds would be helpful.
  • When finishing Gauntlet 1, it said I finished running cored 1. Then there was no real indication that the next round started.
  • Changing to full window and high settings after the default windowed and medium caused a hang of longer than made me feel comfortable. ~30 seconds. Not the best PC in the world, but there might be something worth checking out in that process if it becomes common.
All in all, I'm super impressed. I didn't think you guys were planning to do mini games, but here they are.

Will you be opening up for more suggestions on mini games?
Will there be more voice content? Any vocal warhorns? Can you afford George LeDoux?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users