29 replies to this topic

#21 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:35 AM

I can't log into the PTS server. I keep hitting login after l/p and it just makes a beep but goes nowhere.

#22 corpse256

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 164 posts
  • LocationNebraska, USA

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:00 AM

My thoughts on it. Its good. But lots things can be added.

I learned how to pilot and move a battle mech as I play now very quickly. I enjoyed the little animations that showed me information. The music changing and the idle song was very enjoyable (kept me playing so don't change it very good soundtracks). I loved the Captian telling me what to do and side jokes were alright. It gave me that I'm playing the old mechwarrior Tutorial feel to it so it was great experince.

I like the challanges very fun and gives you a chance to freshin up or learn new skills to piloting a mech. But a few things I would like to see in advance training or on the basic training. ALL PLAYERS NEED TO KNOW THE 3 BASICS ABOUT COMBAT!! The 3 basics are 1. Mech Combat 2. Information Warfare 3. Eviromental Combat(not as important as the other two but it is important to learn that you are not only fighting mechs you are fighting the enviroment also known as heat).

1. Mech Combat- Using standard tactics and advance tactics. Simple ones such as a Push, Flank, and Draw. Advance tactics as to using more than one teammate like Pincer, Circle of Death, Hit and Run, Advance Flanking tactics on how to draw enemy fire and to use that to an advantage against enemy mechs. Also have some stuff on defense and offense uses of battlemechs and simple formations that allow covering temmates from most directions of fire. One more thing that needs to be added is that all weapons have max range and min range. Showing a player that some weapons can not damage enemies at long range, and some can damage at a min range, LRMs PPCs, SRMs and so on for all weapon systems. Also tell the Benfit of using Ballistic, Energy, and Missles. Weapon mixing and Heat management would have to come from Mech Lab training. Players need to know what role they play when they have a light, medium, heavy, and assault weight class. Show Players how to use cover to block missles and cover to cover movement.

2. Information Warfare- This would be all about UAVs and ECM, I think you have the radar covered very well. Also this should cover the effects of PPCs to ECM and what UAVs do also. Also showing players how to use the Battle Grid or Map effectively. Knowing when to pop up the map and not when to pop up the map. Making sure players using Radar effectively and also using the 3d targeting Information on the screen in standard view to ID threats. Also show players what targets are the highest priority and lowest. Teach players on how to use Information to trick enemy targets such as assault mechs on fixing their weapons on smaller targets or how to gain advantage on enemies with well placed UAVs. Also telling players that UAVs can be destroyed to cover up your team from large amounts of LRM fire. Also Effects that BAPs, TAGs, and NARCs have on targets when marked or seen with advance sensors such as the seismic sensor. Information Warfare is one of the most important things a battle mech pilot will ever learn and knowing how to use information to your advantage is important!!

3. Enviromental Combat- Its the one that is important when you are on a hot planet or cold one. Players need to know that enviromental tempatures are also attacking or helping your battle mech. Lots of players forget about this one the most in their tutorials. I haven't seen gravity affect battle mech Jump Jet movement yet so that might be one to add later when it does. Players need to learn how to heat manage in hot combat zones and in cold ones. This needs to be covered and teaching players how to use cool down weapons or tatics how to keep Damage Per Second going and keeping your heat down in hot enviroments and in cool.

All 3 cover the basics of gameplay, and should be added to the game tutorial. Also would tell the player that all tatics are not listed so basic tatics would help the most for new players. Teaching the player about the issuing commands and what they mean would be important to mechwarrior players. Plus adding additional points to player that executes the orders given to the lance during gameplay would be nice to encourage more team based play. Teach a player also how to play as a commander of the team and what responsibilities they have.

What you have for basic basic training is very well done, but also showing a player some advance tatics and rules to the game would be very helpful for new players wanting to learn more about the game than what they have in the training. One last thing would be nice to mention is Role Warfare. Teaching players on how roles like sniper, LRM support, or my favorite one brawling to help players set up their mech or show them tatics on how to become an effective player.

I hope this information helps you guys to build the best tutorial for in game. Like what I'm seeing so far, keep up the amazing work guys at PGI.

I'm thinking of creating an audio log or something so people can learn extra stuff maybe outside the game. Like how to set up mechs that aren't equiped for brawling to do some brawling like lights and other things. I think it would be fun. Again great start guys like to see more!!

Edited by corpse256, 29 August 2015 - 11:26 AM.

#23 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:18 AM

If anyone else has any points to add, please do so now. I will be making a final list with all the recommendations from this thread later this evening.

#24 Neput Z34

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 244 posts
  • Location...far away from a Land of my birth...

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:17 PM

Basic Training suggestion list:

Trainee mech should be medium, something along the lines of a stock Shadow Hawk (SHD-2D)

Cpt. Adams should be driving a JJ equipped heavy, along the lines of CLPT-C1/ A1 / C4, TDR-9SE, CTF-3D, Grasshopper
( an AS7 is just silly, unless he is a Steiner, then all is forgiven)

Better explanation of arm mounted weapons, that can move independent of the torso weapons

Function and use of JJ
( instead of cut scene, have the instructor "enable" the use of JJ on a trainees mech and tell him to jump over the containers in to the next "training area")

Gunnery range and explanation of different weapon types/ groups, weapons minimum / optimal / maximum range, weapons that require a lock-on, etc (hence the SHD-2D)

Targeting tutorial could have an explanation and practical exerciser about fighting enemies with ECM

Ammo management and importance of back up weapons, if they happen to live long enough to expend all their ammo.
( something like: "You are out of ammo greenhorn, good thing you still have your lasers to "throw" at targets, besides just harsh words.")

#25 gloowa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 645 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:12 AM

View PostNeput Z34, on 31 August 2015 - 03:17 PM, said:

(...) and tell him to jump over the containers (...)

And why would the instructor give anyone an impossible task? You do realize that 4 JJ on a heavy give you jump of approx. 5m height?

#26 John McHobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:11 AM

I was very positively surprised by the tutorial. I caught myself smiling during the intro (an actual inro to the game!).

But like corpse said, information warfare needs to be covered:
- Your sensors and their maximum range
- ECM, its effects, modes and counters (this device is in EVERY match, rookies need to know it)
- BAP
- Spotting for other mechs and use of LRMS
- UAVs

This could be its own, advanced tutorial section. Its imperative that new players are introduced to it, because unlike basic piloting or weapon groups there is almost no other way to figure these topics out apart from frustrating trial and error.
I have seen that, it needs explanation.

#27 Admiral General Doctective

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:32 PM

Can't log in. "invalid email / password."

#28 Nathaniel Wolf

• Pip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:19 PM

That's some badass tutorial. Really appreciate how PGI put a lot of effort in the newer, better tutorial mode.
Just a bit of suggestion, in the introduction part, why not add a "Show Me"/"Preview" button that actually plays a clip (if possible) of how things work around the HUD? For example, when you click on the HUD elements there should be a button to play how a "missile lock" reticle looks/sounds like, how to group weapons, etc.

Edited by Nathaniel Wolf, 01 September 2015 - 09:29 PM.

#29 gloowa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 645 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:59 AM

Ok, i have some more thoughts. Given the ultimate plan is to expand playerbase, i was thinking of how to make new players actually play and comprehend the tutorial. My first thought was "do not let them into online matches until they finish the tutorial". But that in my experience, only leads to annoyance, and not really listening to what's said in tutorial, just to get to the real matches. I think that what's needed is:

1st) If tutorial is not yet completed, a message before starting a search for match, stating that the tutorial is crucial and highly recommended.

2nd) If tutorial is not yet completed, and player does less than 150 dmg in a match, a HARSH message after coming back to mechlab, stating that the player performance was pitiful and asking if he is now ready to get to know what mech combat is about. Repeat until tutorial is completed.

Edited by gloowa, 04 September 2015 - 05:00 AM.

#30 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:15 PM

• I would have thought they would break some things up into separate tutorials using different Mechs. Once I saw the Academy part, I understood though I think that needs more options.
  • I kinda agree about the lack of explanation regarding the HUD stuff but that can be done later through AIT or the Academy.
  • Gaunlet, Running Cored, Targeting Practice & Rapid Fire look interesting. I presume every time you choose the first two, the opposition goes up?
  • Zeus location in the Gaunlet is pretty much a cheat since no Mech I have ever seen got up there especially one with no JJ.
  • A message to seek assistance on the Forums especially regarding VOIP both in game and through third party clients use since no tutorial can cover that.
  • Needed are:
  • AIT after Basic. We had this in the Army, after Basic, you went to AIT for Advanced Training. This can include some of the items below.
  • MechLab use.
  • Home screen use.
  • Tutorial explaining Testing Grounds and how to recon maps there plus testing for different heat & weather conditions.
  • Skill Tree use.
  • Zoom use.
  • Module use of all 3 types.
  • MASC run. Since they use IS Mechs, another reason to get those MASC Wolverines in MWO.
  • Use of TAG, NARC, ECM including counter ECM.
  • Mode (Assault and Conquest showing bases, capping and Conquest Points scoring).
  • This one may take a while to design but a tutorial for CW showing Drop Decks, Interstellar Map, Opening Gates, attacking Generators and Cannon, Ejecting.
(Don't know why it does not show, first 6 items were done as a number list that shows when editing but posting shows bullet points.)

Edited by Wildstreak, 04 September 2015 - 05:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users