No replies to this topic

#1 Colin Thrase

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:24 AM

Good afternoon PGI,

I've been enjoying the game since beta, and given the number of enhancements we've had in the recent past, I'm sure I'll continue to do so. However, one thing I've noticed is that while I'm happy to purchase items in the game, I'm finding that I'm getting to the point where the 'mech packs will be the only thing left.
  • I have almost all hero mechs (still remaining are the Arrow, Golden Boy, Quarantine, IV Four, & Top Dog)
  • While I don't have every color, I have enough variation of each primary color there isn't any advantage to buying any more of them.
  • I have 236 days of premium time. I'm not sure whether the 'free' premium time we get from tournament prizes & early-bird specials will keep up or not, but I don't think I'm likely to purchase it for its own sake any time soon.
  • I don't purchase MC variations of consumable modules (I do have a stockpile of them that were awarded during tournaments, but I don't think it's fair to use them in-game - part of the whole pay-to-win argument).
So I wanted to give a couple of suggestions on game monetization that won't risk making the game pay-to-win.
  • For hero and champion mechs, rather than simply having a unique paint scheme, make sure the geometry is distinct from the others. You've already done this with the founder's Atlas AS7-D (the eyes are lower and angled than the other variants) and the AS7-S (which has the cool monacle on the right eye), and also the Centurion CN9-AH(L), which has the rounded left-arm shield instead of the flat shield the other variants have. I think this will encourage more players to buy them. When hero and champion 'mechs are eventually released for c-bills, just give them "standard" geometry. I'm not sure how much of a burden this would be to your art department, but since they did such a fantastic job on the Atlas & Centurion variants, I'm hoping it's something they could find the time for. The reason I think this will be successful is that it gives an incentive to buy those 'mechs other than just for their unique hardpoints or paint schemes.
  • In addition to #1, unlock the ability to buy new paint schemes for the hero and champion 'mechs. While I really like some of the special paint schemes (the bonus Atlas/Centurion/King Crab package was amazing), others aren't quite as awesome (the mech pack paint jobs are often better than standard but not as good looking as the various patterns like Phranken, Buccaneer, or Virus). I usually prefer to play my Hero and Champion 'mechs for the c-bill and experience boosts, and knowing that I'm only going to play the standard variants long enough to unlock mastery for that chassis, I've stopped buying custom paint schemes for them. I suspect you lock the paint schemes in order to make sure other players see them in game and recognize them as "special", but I think the unique geometry in suggestion #1 would serve that purpose. The reason I think this suggestion would help with monetization is that (speaking for myself, at least), players could go back and unlock patterns for the 1st/prime versions of their existing mechs. At the very least, I would probably re-scheme the Founders, Phoenix, Invasion 1, and Resistance 1 & 2 prime 'mechs. I just realized we can already buy any scheme we want for prime versions of clan invasion 2 - not sure how I failed to notice that before.

I saw a post by Tina earlier that she is out of town for a couple of weeks. Is there another person that monitors suggestions while she is out, or should I bump this back to the front page with a reply in 2 weeks?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users