#1 MBT808

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 70 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:10 PM

I wanted to send a message to the PGI developers. I'm a big fan of my Catapult, Atlas, Hunchback, and Raven and wanted to know if there are any plans to over haul these old mech models. I'm not saying that theres anything wrong with them, but when you look at the newer mechs that have come out recently, the polly counts are definitely noticable, not to mention the significantly improved textures. I know this is from continued development of mwo, but it had me wondering the older mechs will eventually receive an over haul these old mechs to bring them up to the current standard(as well as maybe fix some of their issues).

I would like to see this happen. and you can already see some examples partly of this being done already for any owners of the (L) variant reward mechs which feature improved overall textures and some graphical improvements. I hope we will see that with the launch mechs and older mechs as well.

#2 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:57 PM

The Catapult is up for a rescale. I can't wait! It's my favorite chassis. I have all five currently available variants.

#3 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:08 PM

On the contrary, I think many of the older 'mechs tend to have better models and textures than some of the newer models. Certainly things like weapon geometry and stuff could be touched up though.

Then again, MWO's modelling and texturing has never been consistent. You can really tell between a rushed 'mech and one that's had a lot of effort put into it. And I'm pretty sure every 'mech uses the same size texture map regardless of its scale. So a Spider, for example, has the same resolution texture as a King Crab. And it really shows on the King Crab, the legs especially seem incredibly blown up I was wrong. :(

Even the styling of the textures varies across every 'mech. Look closely at the base stock colouring on any 'mech and you'll see differences in the way they do weathering on the metal, or the little details, even the material of the 'mech. Some 'mechs are incredibly shiny and reflective while other 'mechs such as the Atlas or Hunchback are more dull and 'metal' like.

Edited by Dingo Red, 01 September 2015 - 07:36 PM.

#4 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:15 PM

View PostDingo Red, on 01 September 2015 - 07:08 PM, said:

And I'm pretty sure every 'mech uses the same size texture map regardless of its scale.

No they don't. Proof

#5 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:17 PM

View PostDingo Red, on 01 September 2015 - 07:08 PM, said:

On the contrary, I think many of the older 'mechs tend to have better models and textures than some of the newer models. Certainly things like weapon geometry and stuff could be touched up though.

Then again, MWO's modelling and texturing has never been consistent. You can really tell between a rushed 'mech and one that's had a lot of effort put into it. And I'm pretty sure every 'mech uses the same size texture map regardless of its scale. So a Spider, for example, has the same resolution texture as a King Crab. And it really shows on the King Crab, the legs especially seem incredibly blown up.

Even the styling of the textures varies across every 'mech. Look closely at the base stock colouring on any 'mech and you'll see differences in the way they do weathering on the metal, or the little details, even the material of the 'mech. Some 'mechs are incredibly shiny and reflective while other 'mechs such as the Atlas or Hunchback are more dull and 'metal' like.

Most of the IS mechs are dull....outside some when certian Camos are applied like the PNT and the Zeus, most are very dull. The clan mechs are often shiny and more NEW looking. It seems to be pretty consistent as far as i could tell but i have no really looked into that closely.

#6 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:19 PM

I'm amazed no one's pointed out the fact that the Raven wasn't a launch mech.

I mean, I don't care all that much personally. It's just the kind of thing I can see this board pouncing on.

First light was the Jenner btw.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 01 September 2015 - 07:20 PM.

#7 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:21 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 01 September 2015 - 07:19 PM, said:

I mean, I don't care all that much personally. It's just the kind of thing I can see this board pouncing on.

Man...my OCD would have kicked in if i noticed. I would have HAD to correct him...

2 pts for Vlad

#8 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:48 PM

View PostAmsro, on 01 September 2015 - 07:15 PM, said:

No they don't. Proof

Ah. My bad. Fixed.

View PostDarthRevis, on 01 September 2015 - 07:17 PM, said:

Most of the IS mechs are dull....outside some when certian Camos are applied like the PNT and the Zeus, most are very dull. The clan mechs are often shiny and more NEW looking. It seems to be pretty consistent as far as i could tell but i have no really looked into that closely.

I know the Clan 'mechs are purposely given shinier appearances, but I was referring to Inner Sphere 'mechs. And I know I'm just being really nit-picky, I get too attached to tiny details. Not really that important either, since it gives different 'mechs character I suppose.

But just to illustrate my point:

Posted Image

Newer 'mechs like the Zeus tend to have a stronger more powerful sheen, almost wet appearance especially if you rotate it in the 'mech lab. On the other hand, older 'mechs like the Awesome have a duller sheen and IMO do tend to look a bit better.

But yeah, just nit-picking. You don't really notice these things when lasers are slicing through your 'mech.

#9 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:18 PM

I See, i never noticed that the Zeus had a shiny finish....touche.

#10 MBT808

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:37 PM

View PostChados, on 01 September 2015 - 06:57 PM, said:

The Catapult is up for a rescale. I can't wait! It's my favorite chassis. I have all five currently available variants.

I love my Cat too, the huge CT not so much though. had some great matches, wish it would get a bit more of a buff. As far as rescale, what do you mean? just making it bigger or smaller? or overall changed.

#11 MBT808

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:41 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 01 September 2015 - 07:19 PM, said:

sorry, I didn't know. I thought that both the Raven and Jenner were the first light mechs.

but generally I don't mind the weathered look, but I would like to see them build upon that make them look grittier and less mechanically clean compared to their clan mech counterparts. but Generally I would like to see a graphics and texture improvement to the early/launch mechs.

#12 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:18 AM

I get the feeling that'll only happen if the new "polish" is paid for.

#13 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:26 AM

I wish that CLAN mechs could be basic-colored like innersphere mechs..

Without applying cammo, just paint, you can, for instance, turn the whole IS mech red.

On a clan mech, you get three red stripes.. That's just wrong..

Anyways...

I think it might be in the works, but the Dev's have bigger fish to fry first.. like CW and maps..

#14 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:01 AM

View PostSpartan076, on 01 September 2015 - 06:10 PM, said:

I wanted to send a message to the PGI developers. I'm a big fan of my Catapult, Atlas, Hunchback, and Raven and wanted to know if there are any plans to over haul these old mech models. I'm not saying that theres anything wrong with them, but when you look at the newer mechs that have come out recently, the polly counts are definitely noticable, not to mention the significantly improved textures. I know this is from continued development of mwo, but it had me wondering the older mechs will eventually receive an over haul these old mechs to bring them up to the current standard(as well as maybe fix some of their issues).

I would like to see this happen. and you can already see some examples partly of this being done already for any owners of the (L) variant reward mechs which feature improved overall textures and some graphical improvements. I hope we will see that with the launch mechs and older mechs as well.

I'm pretty sure that the Jenner was the first Light and not the Raven. In fact, I still remember running my old Commandos (2nd Light in the game) and witnessing the release of the Ravens. That was a big deal back then.

#15 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:12 AM

View PostDingo Red, on 01 September 2015 - 07:48 PM, said:

Ah. My bad. Fixed.

I know the Clan 'mechs are purposely given shinier appearances, but I was referring to Inner Sphere 'mechs. And I know I'm just being really nit-picky, I get too attached to tiny details. Not really that important either, since it gives different 'mechs character I suppose.

But just to illustrate my point:

Posted Image

Newer 'mechs like the Zeus tend to have a stronger more powerful sheen, almost wet appearance especially if you rotate it in the 'mech lab. On the other hand, older 'mechs like the Awesome have a duller sheen and IMO do tend to look a bit better.

But yeah, just nit-picking. You don't really notice these things when lasers are slicing through your 'mech.

Yeah... I do t like the sheen of the new mechs. In my opion, they should be dull flat and dirty looking. Not shiney new cars with a fresh paint job.

So help me god. If they put a gloss finish on my Atlas. I will uninstall this game!

#16 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:31 AM

I just got a new graphics card and tried my setting on high. Well yes everything looks better, but the bling lowered my damage by about a 100 per game (atmosphere, shadows and texture). NOTE I was still over 100fps.

I reset everything to except mech detail and boom higher damage again.

So I guess the moral of this story is lower video setting and there is very little difference in the mechs finish details and making things go boom is easier.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users