44 replies to this topic

#21 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:57 AM

I really don't know about KDR but my experience in solo matches since PSR is always the same. I take the worst possible mech I have, drop, do 800-ish damage with multiple kills, die among the first and still end up being ranked top damage and top game score in my team which then proceeds to lose the game anyway, beause 5-7 guys never reached even 100 damage. So, obviousely my PSR goes up and the next time I get even worse teammates on my side. You repeat it several times until your team becomes so bad and dies so fast that you are taken out too fast to do any decent match score as well. Then finally your PSR drops a bit and you return to where it started.

Does it s.uck? I suppose it does. Having top match score in the majority of my matches is supposed to give me more c-bills, however losing those matches kinda counter-balances that. But that isn't the point.

The point is ... PSR (just like Elo) is supposed to provide balanced matches, where skilled players are matched with and against equally skilled players. That simply doesn't happen. It wasn't happening when we had Elo MM, now it only got worse. For what reason I don't know and tbh I don't care either.

#22 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:00 AM

How long of a timeframe does PSR need anyway to have a number affixed to a player that is more or less his "average PSR" ?
Does anybody know that from community ?

I somehow get the feeling it could take us a month or 2 until it got a somehow meaningful number for our behaviour on the battlefields .
So just a few games will count as much as the literal "Bratwurst in the gymhall" = too small battles-sample-size .

Edited by Rad Hanzo, 01 September 2015 - 01:00 AM.

#23 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:06 AM

PSR balances pilots not on their ability to win fights / kills against other pilots but instead evaluates your usefullness in a game by taking your matchscore into account, elevating your PSR as long til your match rating stays "averange" in your games.

So your only way to get "kills" and "stroke" your K/D p...s ;) , is to get kills without doing much dmg.
Either you are a pretty bad gunner and distribute lots of dmg and bloat your matchscore this way <_< or you simply reached a level of psr where winning or getting kills is pretty much luck due to the evened out nature of your games. B)

Again rules for elevating/ degrading your PSR are:

Game won and good rating: PSR elevation
Game won and mediocre rating: slight PSR elevation
Game won and bad rating: nothing happens
Game lost and good rating: slight elevation
Game lost mediocre rating: slight degration
Game lost and bad rating: PSR degration

From the data of Bloodmoon C-Bills event I see that 39.4% of my games yielded 150 or more points.
15.9% where above 250 points.
From this data one could say the PSR system works pretty well if one is only regarding the numbers.
Around 40% above mediocre and around 16% pretty well with 7% above 300 points that would be exceptional well and still 3% above 400points that would be hillariously well.
So...yea but the 60% next to 150 and fairly below are still those that hurt.

What realy has changed though is that racking up cheap kills, even on higher rated oponents is now just useless. :P
All those light pouncers and oneshot wonder trolls hiding,then opening fire cutting through their whole team to gather kills are now pretty much on the looser side. :D
Had an ACH with 5 kills and below 150 matchscore yammering how injust this is ^_^

Edited by The Basilisk, 01 September 2015 - 01:39 AM.

#24 skorpionet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:02 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 31 August 2015 - 11:04 AM, said:

This happens to you.
But it's not happening at me...
How's that?

Yep, there are still stomps but in a far less number. However I noticed a drop in my KDR but I think because matches are more equilibrated then is more difficult to kill 6-5 enemies at time.

#25 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:29 AM

PSR system is poorly designed, i have never seen such a badly designed match maker

#26 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:35 AM

View PostChaosity, on 31 August 2015 - 11:40 AM, said:

My point is this: Just because you were not affected does not mean that others were not. The nice thing about the Blood Money thing is you can check your game history game by game over the last few days, and mine continually goes downhill. I really doubt that I have lost 15+ years of skills from playing some form of MechWarrior on line and it all disappeared overnight. PGI did something and the only >announced< change for match making was PSR, therefore it is logically the suspect.

sry but if your kdr is suddenly falling, you probably never had as much skill as you thought. you had however much skill in comparison to the other mechwarriors you played with.

you are probably one of those few where your elo was horribly underated, or someone who played for k/d and often made his team lose for securing a high k/d. In this case k/d goes up, but elo down, due to losing. Now since psr takes scorings since Jan 15th into account you probably have a high PSR judged by your scoring. And now you gonna have to face equally skilled pilots. Which means you finally have to work for you kills. High k/d either means you are one of the higher end players, whre you hardly meet many others on or above you. Or it means you were always havign underated pilots as opponents.

And given that your k/d drops now you probably be where you are supposed to be now. So when the mathcmaker works and finally gives you equally skilled opponent players, you have a 12 vs 12 where getting killed is as much likely as killing. So unless your k/d drops from 0.8 to 0.4 now, you probably never played good, just grabbed kills.

Most people call the MM "bad" because they lost their weird achieved habit where they could stomp 4-6 people a match regulary. Thats bad for their feelings, But lets be honest, such matches have not been good matchups, because they clearly were never matched properly. PSR changed this now.

Edited by Lily from animove, 01 September 2015 - 06:35 AM.

#27 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:00 AM

View PostTesunie, on 31 August 2015 - 06:44 PM, said:

With PSR, you have no "occasional" higher level player(s) to possibly save your team from the stomp, if not reverse it.

Still happens...

LOL... That QQ dead assault pilots proclaiming a match where they had died 'Lost!'...

And yet... 'Victory!' happens instead... ;)
*KDR went up too... Playing mostly at EURO 300ms++ ping for faster matches..

Edited by ShinVector, 01 September 2015 - 06:03 AM.

#28 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:55 AM

View PostShinVector, on 01 September 2015 - 06:00 AM, said:

Still happens...

LOL... That QQ dead assault pilots proclaiming a match where they had died 'Lost!'...

And yet... 'Victory!' happens instead... ;)
*KDR went up too... Playing mostly at EURO 300ms++ ping for faster matches..

:mellow: wow....
You brag in your posting about knowingly using your high ping for your own advantage....then you post a vid where the very first action you are taking is changing course from a free vector right into a friendy mech. You next action is running directly towards the enemy knowing he won't hurt you much knowing your speed in conjunction with your ping will make it next to impossible for them to hit you with full force.
Now you're firing wildly at the enemy running around either blocking friendly firing lanes or running between your teammates drawing fire to them and using them as shields. I saw at least 2 of your team mates going down cause you draw enemy mechs to them instead of from them away.
While I admit you are quite a good shoot, you did nothing but use the damage your dead companions already inflicted to bloat your score.
I think the only good thing you did was positioning the UAV.
This vid could very well serve as manual how to exploite the new rating system.
Racking up hit and runs....check.
Racking up prot.proxi. .... check.
etc....etc....etc....

Not cool

#29 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 01 September 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

:mellow: wow....
You brag in your posting about knowingly using your high ping for your own advantage....then you post a vid where the very first action you are taking is changing course from a free vector right into a friendy mech.

Not cool

What high ping are you talking about ?

I had Oceanic and Euro check for the 90+ matches I played for the event...
90% of the matches being Euro...

And that match was in Oceanic where my ping was 5ms. ;)

If you think 300ms++ is an advantage ! Feel free to play Oceanic Only ;)

Lesson in playing a light... Hit and not be hit as much as possible.. The opportunity will come as long as the team does damage... Though you probably failed to realised that I was second in top damage among 24 people in that match.

View PostThe Basilisk, on 01 September 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

I saw at least 2 of your team mates going down cause you draw enemy mechs to them instead of from them away.

Uhhhhh... Apparently I am now responsible for the death of every team in Solo queue... Sure whatever..

Edited: lots of stuff.

Edited by ShinVector, 01 September 2015 - 08:15 AM.

#30 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:30 AM

View PostShinVector, on 01 September 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

What high ping are you talking about ?

I had Oceanic and Euro check for the 90+ matches I played for the event...
90% of the matches being Euro...

And that match was in Oceanic where my ping was 5ms. ;)

Edit:
Lastly if you think 300ms++ is an advantage ! Feel free to play Oceanic Only ;)

Lesson in playing a light... Hit and not be hit as much as possible.. The opportunity will come as long as the team does damage... Though you probably failed to realised that I was second in top damage among 24 people in that match.

Uhhhhh... Apparently I am now responsible for the death of every team in Solo queue... Sure whatever..

So what...you played conquest...in a light... and all you did was shooting.

You did not:
-- Cap
-- Scout
-- Spot
-- Rearguard

If behaving counter to a light mechs role, wild shooting, racking up points and essentialy hindering the mechs in your team brings you top dmg, kills and especialy matchpoints, there is indeed a serious flaw here if this gets rewarded.
And knowingly doing so to get rewarded is exploitation.

I know diehard tryhard so called..."competitive" players do so and snub anyone cocking an eyebrow at their behavior.
You use flaws in the gamemechanics / rewardmechanics to get an advantage over other players.

#31 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:42 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 01 September 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:

So what...you played conquest...in a light... and all you did was shooting.

You did not:
-- Cap
-- Scout
-- Spot
-- Rearguard

If behaving counter to a light mechs role, wild shooting, racking up points and essentialy hindering the mechs in your team brings you top dmg, kills and especialy matchpoints, there is indeed a serious flaw here if this gets rewarded.
And knowingly doing so to get rewarded is exploitation.

I know diehard tryhard so called..."competitive" players do so and snub anyone cocking an eyebrow at their behavior.
You use flaws in the gamemechanics / rewardmechanics to get an advantage over other players.

You don't happen to be over 60 are you ?
I tend to hear comments from people of that age for some reason..

Please report me to PGI...

Dear PGI,

He only plays lights to kill mechs in MWO...

Please Ban him !

You might like this match more...

I get a hackusation at the end there...

http://youtu.be/7qNCQSPjuro?t=657

#32 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:51 AM

View PostShinVector, on 01 September 2015 - 06:00 AM, said:

Still happens...

Not saying it wont. Probably should have rephrased to "is less likely to happen"? With everyone (supposedly) being on equal footing, then it's harder to turn a stomp around. When we had less balanced teams (Elo, which only rewarded wins, and not actual skill), you could have those few aces mixed in who could take one twice their numbers (in theory), and then the rest may have been balanced in skill. This meant that the couple of aces had a chance to "carry" the team. Hence, the "carry harder" expression that got coined.

I have a feeling that the Carrier Harder group probably wont be carrying harder now, as they should be in groups more related to their skill levels.

#33 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:08 AM

View PostChaosity, on 31 August 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

How observant you are. ;)

That was the whole point of the initial post. The change is supposed to match you up with players closer to your skill level. Like I said, I've been on both sides, 12-0 and 0-12. I just want more closely matched games (inference... more fun games) than unbalanced games.

You will get them once you drop into a lower bracket.

To increase your chances of winning, try;

Use VOIP to communicate with Team
Use Chat to communicate with team.
Stick with Lance
Stick with Team
Drop in Group Queue.
Play as a member of a team, not 1 with 11 in the way.

#34 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:04 PM

View PostIL MECHWARRIOR, on 01 September 2015 - 04:29 AM, said:

PSR system is poorly designed, i have never seen such a badly designed match maker

the mm itself is decent but the decision to use match score in the player's rating was silly... no decent game does it

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 01 September 2015 - 01:04 PM.

#35 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:34 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 01 September 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

the mm itself is decent but the decision to use match score in the player's rating was silly... no decent game does it

How would you suggest we balance teams for a MM? What stat(s) would you think represents a player's skill accurately?

#36 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 31 August 2015 - 11:04 AM, said:

This happens to you.
But it's not happening at me...
How's that?

It's happening to me as well. Rather, it WAS happening. I've stopped playing. Too annoying.

#37 Zuesacoatl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:03 PM

View PostChaosity, on 31 August 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

How observant you are. ;)

That was the whole point of the initial post. The change is supposed to match you up with players closer to your skill level. Like I said, I've been on both sides, 12-0 and 0-12. I just want more closely matched games (inference... more fun games) than unbalanced games.

I am not sure how PSR is affected while you are in group play. But i did read that if you are in a good group most of the time that tends to carry you, it inflates your PSR, and when you drop solo, you have to put up or shut up, i.e. prove that your PSR you have achieved because of your group was truly earned. I am not saying you are a bad in a good group, but if you and your clan work well together when you drop together, you could be more of a team player than a soloist and your performance in the pug queue could suffer because of it.

#38 Zuesacoatl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:08 PM

As a side note, I am sure I am not in the top tiers, with that being said. I have had some really close great games, one this weekend ended with me in my panther duking it out with an adder and a cheetah, great game, if not for my mistake, i may have won it for the team as a fart could have killed either one of them lol. most games are close now, with a couple of stomps here or there.

#39 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:38 PM

View PostZuesacoatl, on 01 September 2015 - 09:03 PM, said:

I am not sure how PSR is affected while you are in group play. But i did read that if you are in a good group most of the time that tends to carry you, it inflates your PSR, and when you drop solo...

Actually, that was Elo. If, in a group, you tend to get "carried to a win" and yet you did little for it, then your PSR actually wouldn't be that great. If, however, you preform very well with your group, and tend to get good match scores, then your PSR should go up.

Elo was based on a win, no matter your individual performance within the team. PSR is based on your performance within the team, win or not. If you preform low, even when in a group, then your PSR wont matter. (However, groups tend to work better together due to better communication and preset strategies. This could improve your match scores, which would improve your PSR.)

#40 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:50 PM

View PostTesunie, on 01 September 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

How would you suggest we balance teams for a MM? What stat(s) would you think represents a player's skill accurately?

elo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users