26 replies to this topic

#1 Race Bannon

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:44 PM

Hey guys,

So I plumped for a Hunchback for my first mech, have decked him out in a manner that I'm finding works (2 kills in 1 game earlier today!), and I'm not really sure how best to be progressing now. Do I rush and buy 2 variants? Start levelling basic mech tree skills, buying pilot skills and modules? Or should I buy a completely different chasis to give me something to mix it up?

#2 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

When you find something you really like, then I advocate going for mastery. You need three of the same type (e.g. 3 Hunchbacks) to unlock the elite skills for you to select with Mech XP, once you've done the basic skills.

#3 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:06 PM

if you are liking the HBK, get two more, and work to getting double heat sinks, and endo steel frame upgrades.. Also you should pick up an STD 250 engine for the most flexibility while you play around with builds..

that said, my advice is to get a 4H, (run an ac-10 and 4 ML's) as this build is a bit more newbie friendly with the longer range, and more ammo, than running a 4G with an AC-20. (you can also try the 3 ML+ac-20 set up in it as well) or even a Gauss.

the 4SP, for a non Hunched HBK. dual SRM 4's with 4 ML's is another very good set up. But you can play around with SRM6's or lrm 10's if you want.

the 4P, is the energy boat HBK. with 9 hard points you can basically play with tons of different set ups from small pulse lasers, mediums, and even large or PPC's.

To me this gives you the most varriety to play with every weapon system in the gmae, and each mech has a few very solid builds.

if you really like the HBK's the Grid iron is an exceptional Gauss platform but only available with MC) AKA real cash) The 4J is the LRM10 machine but needs an XL engine to shine, and the classic 4G with an AC-20 3 Small lasers, and dual machine guns for one of the highest DPS short range brawlers in the game. (aka under 120m)

welcome to mech warrior.. and Please don't forget to torso twist with your HBK.. those things with armor quirks and spreading damage can tank like a heavy..

good luck!

PS save your GXP to unlock modules, and if you grind to master, you can bank extra XP, and use the MC conversion to unlock a couple modules, really helps in the early going.. Siesmic, radar dep, targeting info gathering, and hill climb are all excellent models on HBKS. For weapon modules it is hard to go wrong with auto cannon recharge, Medium/large laser Range/recharge as the first ones to unlock.. everything has lasers for the most part, and AC5 and 20 are a couple of the more popular weapons for IS mechs.

Edited by JC Daxion, 31 August 2015 - 03:09 PM.

#4 Race Bannon

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:51 PM

Okay thanks guys. I'm running AC10 4 med lasers, got double sinks and endo and 250. I'm trying to save up GXP for advanced zoom for AC 10 sniping, decent choice for HBK?

#5 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:08 PM

Sniping with AC10? Nah. Advanced zoom is superfluous. Work on weapon modules, perhaps. ML modules will benefit you across all HBKs.

#6 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

best hunches are 4g (ac/20), 4j (2 lrm-10) and 4p (lasers)

save your gxp for radar deprivation and then for seismic (target decay if you use lrm/streak missiles) and then for consumables' and weapon skills, ignore advanced zoom

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 31 August 2015 - 04:10 PM.

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:21 PM

The benefits from a full mech skill tree are pretty good. Basic efficiencies, higher top speed, then doubled basics, then an extra module slot. It might be a while before you have the cash to buy lots of modules, but they certainly help. Get 3 of a kind, work on the mech skills, worry about the modules a little later.

Advanced zoom is not really neccesary for an AC10, regular full zoom should give you plenty. Wouldn't worry about the advanced zoom unless you were specializing in gauss rifles.

#8 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:59 PM

That too.

If you're okay with spending IRL cash, the HBK mastery pack would be pretty great for you. They're one of the best $$$ values in MWO.

#9 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:25 AM

Once you finish the elite unlocks, most mechs are a lot more fun to drive. My recommendation for a new player would be to save your c bills for the 3 mechs you will need first. Modules are like sprinkles. Use the trial mechs for some variety or buy the aforementioned mastery pack to save time. It's all time or money in this game (or both for us addicts)

#10 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:51 AM

View PostRace Bannon, on 31 August 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

Okay thanks guys. I'm running AC10 4 med lasers, got double sinks and endo and 250. I'm trying to save up GXP for advanced zoom for AC 10 sniping, decent choice for HBK?

Actually, I would recommend getting either radar deprivation, or Seismic sensor. Both modules are extremely powerful ,and near mandatory on all mechs. The hunchback benefits greatly from both.

#11 Race Bannon

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:02 AM

Okay thanks guys. I'm currently working through all the basic masteries on my 4H. I did look at the Hunchback mastery pack, but here was my logic: I've already bought one variant so won't get best value out of it. I think I will continue to grind out HBK variants the normal way. Then when I know I'm committed to the game and happy to sink some cash into it, my second mech will be a Mastery pack. Not sure what that will be yet.

When I didn't know what I was doing I bought 2 levels in Medium Laser Range Pilot Skills. I was pretty shocked at the cost of buying the module for the 4H, seemed really excessive for the gains.

#12 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:16 AM

View PostRace Bannon, on 01 September 2015 - 01:02 AM, said:

Okay thanks guys. I'm currently working through all the basic masteries on my 4H. I did look at the Hunchback mastery pack, but here was my logic: I've already bought one variant so won't get best value out of it. I think I will continue to grind out HBK variants the normal way. Then when I know I'm committed to the game and happy to sink some cash into it, my second mech will be a Mastery pack. Not sure what that will be yet.

When I didn't know what I was doing I bought 2 levels in Medium Laser Range Pilot Skills. I was pretty shocked at the cost of buying the module for the 4H, seemed really excessive for the gains.

Actually, a case could still be made for the hunchback mastery pack. You're still getting mechbays, mechs, weapons, engines, and premium time (premium time is still included, right?). You will have a second HBK-H that you can either slap on a different build, or an identical one, so if your first one dies, you can grab the second one immediately. Or just sell it for some C-Bills.

This is all at half price I wanna say, someone should confirm all of this information before you buy it, though.

#13 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:05 AM

View PostRace Bannon, on 01 September 2015 - 01:02 AM, said:

In terms of the amount of grind it takes, your best return at this point is getting three variants elited. Modules cost a lot. The weapon modules should probably be the last ones you buy, but the medium laser one is good to have because you put those things on pretty much every mech!

The 4G is a great AC20 platform! I'd try that out next. Or you could go with the 4P and use a butt load of medium laser.
Start saving up your GXP again for seismic (2 levels to buy) or radar deprivation (1 level but more up front). Then you'll need 6 million c bill for each of those. This is why I suggest getting the mechs first, since you can play around with them while earning. Also, doubling the basic skills gives more of a boost to the mech than any module.

#14 Race Bannon

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:11 AM

Thanks guys. I will start saving for a second Hunchback variant and Radar Dep I guess.

N.B. Just had my best game yet in my 4H. 4 kills, 500 damage :)

#15 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:00 AM

That's really great for a new player Race!

#16 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,661 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:02 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 01 September 2015 - 01:16 AM, said:

Actually, a case could still be made for the hunchback mastery pack. You're still getting mechbays, mechs, weapons, engines, and premium time (premium time is still included, right?). You will have a second HBK-H that you can either slap on a different build, or an identical one, so if your first one dies, you can grab the second one immediately. Or just sell it for some C-Bills.

This is all at half price I wanna say, someone should confirm all of this information before you buy it, though.

30 days premium time, and all contents 50% off on all Mastery packs. It's really a great bargain.

Radar Deprivation is probably the best module. It's hard to see the effects of it from your side, but as long as you are moving in and out of cover like crazy, it will kill targeting immediately (barring the radar retention module that no one seems to have on the opposing team) making you much less likely to be tracked in general by the enemy.

#17 bar10jim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:26 PM

View PostRace Bannon, on 31 August 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

My favorite hunchie is the AC 10 with 4 med lasers for backup. Not a great sniper per se, but a wonderful 2nd line mech (snipe from the back) that can brawl in the end game. I pulled a 2600 XP round in this mech before I was out of Basic. I'm not a great player, but I have my highest K/D ratio and highest W/L ration in this mech.

Edited by bar10jim, 01 September 2015 - 04:30 PM.

#18 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:12 PM

View PostRace Bannon, on 01 September 2015 - 09:11 AM, said:

Thanks guys. I will start saving for a second Hunchback variant and Radar Dep I guess.

N.B. Just had my best game yet in my 4H. 4 kills, 500 damage :)

FYI, you don't need a 4G to try your hand at a 4G build, it just won't have the extra refire rate on the ac-20, but it still will work pretty darn well, so at this point, before you buy a 4G, defiantly play it on the 4H first, get the P, and 4SP or 4J instead.. I still say the 4SP is one of my favorite mechs.

Wait on the modules till you have at least 3 mechs.. Besides with the amount of GXP needed it might take you that long to just unlock anyway. Personally i much prefer Seismic over Radar dep, especially in faster mechs. It helps, but it is not the be all and end all. It only helps drop you odd radar a tiny bit quicker, and only when you are already hidden. Just keep moving, and the LRM's should miss ya anyway a good 80%+ of the time at most you will get hit by just a few.

Seismic on the other hand, is invaluable for rounding corners, or those sneaky back striking mechs. For HBK's, To me hill climb and seismic are what to run, If i run a missile mech, then i run with 360 targeting, if it is a pin-point mech, i take targeting info gathering. Radar dep, i am starting to just run on slow mechs, like slower heavies and assaults, the others you can just move fast enough to make it a bit sub par.. It drops you off radar a couple seconds faster, and even for ridge peekers, you are most likely pulling back longer than that to cool down anyway.

As for a mastery pack? well if you are liking mediums, I would highly recommend getting the shadow hawks. They can run so many load outs as their quirks are all generic so you don't get stuck with specific weapon quirks.. they are sorta the hunchless HBK, with jumpjets. for a long time they were considered the best mech around, Now they are just really solid and in the hands of a good player deadly.

the bonus of the shadow Hawk pack, is you also get an XL-275, and XL-255 Both are great engines, and also max engine size for a bunch of mechs.. So they are perfect to start you off in playing with XL's in tons of mechs. Down the road if you are liking that, an XL-265, 280, 300, and 325 are others that you would want.. as they are pretty much the engines used in TONS of builds. (other notable XL engines for very specific mechs, are the XL-210, 225, 235 and 240.

The hero and champion in the shadow hawk pack are also nice mechs.. The hero you get a C-bill boost, and the champion gets an XP boost, which when stacked with premium time can really help you earn loads of GXP. though it can be worth spending 500 MC or so to help you unlock something, I know i've done it a few times in the past, especially when they have the 50% bonus conversion sales..

Edited by JC Daxion, 01 September 2015 - 06:15 PM.

#19 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:37 PM

To echo what's already been said:

For now, stick with Hunchbacks as you're having fun. A nice thing about the hunchback is that you can experiment with different weapon systems on the same platform.

My personal favourite HBK is the 4p, an all-energy variant. The "classic" build is a lot of medium lasers (max 9). You need to split these into groups to avoid ghost heat (I set the six in the shoulder as 1 group, the remaining 3 as another and a final group with all 9 in chain fire mode for exceptional use). However you can experiment with other builds, whether that's to swap out the 3 not-hunch medium lasers for 2 medium pulse lasers, or to sacrifice a few medium lasers for some longer range.

You could try out a 4g (ac20) build on your 4h, but ac20s are relatively expensive components so if you think it's likely you want the 4g, I'd probably just save CBills for that.

As far as modules are concerned, the main one to unlock and buy first is radar deprivation, which can be very helpful in matches where there are a lot of LRMs in the air.

--

One piece of advice to keep in mind as you buy additional mechs: you can re-use components by stripping the equipment from one mech to use in another. This is particularly relevant for expensive items (modules, engines, large weapon systems).

#20 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:28 AM

View PostAno, on 01 September 2015 - 07:37 PM, said:

One piece of advice to keep in mind as you buy additional mechs: you can re-use components by stripping the equipment from one mech to use in another. This is particularly relevant for expensive items (modules, engines, large weapon systems).

Yep, I still swap engines and weapons quite a bit. Also modules! Those things cost as much as a new mech.

You can sell extra equipment from your inventory screen, but try not to sell engines or expensive weapons, as you only get 50% of what you paid. You are losing a lot on a 3mil XL Engine that way :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users