- - - - -

Understanding Frame Rate

5 replies to this topic

#1 Archangel Dino

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:48 AM

I've figured that my average frame rate is 25. Sometimes it dips low into the high teens, and sometimes it reaches high into the low 30's.

Rest assured, Mechwarrior Online works quite well for me. I've never had any problems with it. But if I am considering purchasing a new computer in the near future, I'd really like to know what determines your frame rate.

I don't know much when it comes to system specs for computers.

So, if any computer whiz can kindly let me know - in LAYMAN'S TERMS - what each part of a computer is built for, that would be greatly appreciated. In other words, what do the following components do, and which of the following take part in affecting your frame rate:

1) Processor

2) Graphics Card

3) RAM

4) CPU

5) What does it mean when my computer is "Quad-Core"?

6) 64-bit vs. 32-bit

7) Motherboard

Edited by Archangel Dino, 01 September 2015 - 05:50 AM.

#2 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:28 AM

1) The processor does exactly what it says in the name. It processes instructions. Where RAM and the CPU caches store the data and instructions, it is the processor that executes the instructions on the data.

2) Think of the graphics card like a small office within a bigger office. The big office handles most requests for that business, but the small office is set up to handle a specific set of business requests that are difficult and time consuming. This is done so the main office doesn't get bogged down with those requests. Your graphics card is the small office to your CPU's big office.

3) RAM is like the counters in your kitchen. Stuff goes on the counters (RAM) before getting "cooked" on the stove (processor). Having more counter space means you have to spend less time shuffling things between the counters (RAM) and the refrigerator (hard drive) as you prepare a meal.

4) Central Processing Unit. This encompasses the processor cores and caches.

5) Processors have "cores" which are independent units capable of executing instructions. If you have one core, you can only execute one thread of instructions at a time. Two cores lets you handle two threads of instructions simultaneously. Three cores three threads and so on.

6) Computers inherently understand certain data types. One of these data types is an Integer (whole number). A 32 bit architecture means that an integer is given 32 bits to represent its value with. This means its lowest possible value is -2,147,483,648 and highest is 2,147,483,647 for signed integers and between 0 and 4,294,967,295 for unsigned. A 64 bit system has twice as many bits for an integer to store its value with (2^64), so it has a considerably greater range of possible values.

This also applies to memory space. Because the maximum value of a 32 bit system integer is 4,294,967,295, a 32 bit system has a hard limit of 4GB for RAM as that is all the address space it can possibly assign. A 64 bit system can handle a much greater amount of RAM because it can assign a much greater range of addresses for memory space.

7) The motherboard is one of the most important parts of a computer. It handles all communication between the disparate pieces of hardware. When data or instructions are moved from the hard drive to the RAM, it is through the motherboard. Likewise, when data or instructions are moved from the RAM to the processor cache/processor, it is through the motherboard. Many companies will advertise flashy CPU's, GPU's, RAM space, or other features and then skimp on the motherboard, causing a bottleneck that makes the system run significantly worse than it ought to.

As far as frame rate, that is largely dependent on your CPU, GPU, and the game developer. A game like MWO isn't particularly well optimized and relies more heavily on the CPU than the GPU. In the office analogy above, this means the smaller office isn't being used to its full potential and instead customers (items to be rendered to your screen) are forced to wait in line at the main office (the CPU). This causes the notoriously low frame rates players experience in MWO. Both offices are available, but management (the developer) chooses how the offices get used.

EDIT: There are certain settings that can help increase frame rates by a modest amount. This thread might be helpful to you.

Edited by Voivode, 01 September 2015 - 08:24 AM.

#3 PFC Carsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:29 AM

While this can be elaborated on for hours and hours, I'll try and give you a brief rundown in layman's terms for starters.

1./4./5.: Processor and CPU are synonymous and are the brains of your PC. It is responsible for running Windows (or Linux etc.) and everything else. Here the basic speed of basically every game is decided. In MWO, you can only change few settings to really change CPU-load. A Quadcore CPU has four - hence quad - identical sets of largely independent execution units inside, where MWO could run different parts of the game (physics, gameplay logic, animations, administrative stuff etc.) in parallel, i.e. faster. A quadcore is basically a requirement for the game, otherwise framerate WILL suffer, especially on the new maps or in CW.

3.) RAM is the memory, where game data gets loaded to be quickly served to the CPU or the graphics card when they need it. 4 Gigabyte is ok, 8 should only be a minor improvement MWO if you do not have a ton of programs running in the background.

6.) Is bascially the amount of RAM your windows and also the game client of MWO can utilize. 32 Bit is sufficient right now, IIRC, but considered outdated and lame and not future proof.

7.) Motherboard.
That thing glues all the other components together, providing data lanes so that they can talk to each other and function as a whole. Basically everything sold in the last 5 or 6 years has no MAJOR caveats with regard to performance. Determines, what kind of processor (AMD/Intel, respective type) and RAM type you may use.

8.) Graphics or Video card: That also determines the performance/framerate and can have an almost as large an impact as the CPU. However, the options, escpecially the advanced options, do have way more headroom to tune the graphics fidelity down and lower the burden on the graphics card.

So, Quadcore-CPU (in case of MWO preferrably from Intel), 8 GiByte of Memory and a graphics card with 2, rather 3 Gigabytes of video memory would be a good choice overall - and very much condensed into a short paragraph. There can be much more said about it.

#4 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:34 AM

MWO is heavily CPU bound.

A midrange graphics card (GPU) will get you all the performance you need - a nVidia 960 (or previous gens 860, 760, even 660) or AMD R9 270X (or previously, a 7870 or better)... Basically, any midrange card will do just fine.

But you want a strong CPU. Intel or AMD is fine (yes, yes, bigger intel CPU's are simply better than AMD ones for this sort of thing, but a high end AMD CPU is just fine for MWO)

RAM? 4GB at a minimum, ideally 8. More than 8 makes no difference for us.

Any new system these days is 64 bit.

Your motherboard won't impact your framerate.

Quad-core means your CPU has 4 processing cores. This is basically the norm, with higher end AMD CPU's having 6 or 8 (though this isn't very helpful for MWO in particular) and very high end Intel CPU's having more as well. A quadcore is fine for MWO.

#5 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:04 AM

Voivode, I hereby declare you to my king of analogies.

#6 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:26 AM

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users