40 replies to this topic

#1 Caboose30

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 880 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

Okay, first things first. I'm not a dev. I'm a BattleTech junkie. Second, I made a mistake in my beta profile. I beta tested StarCraft 2. Third - To all you guys that have a beta key and keep talking about it, listen up.

There is, as far as I know, an NDA - Non-Disclosure-Agreement. It means that you are allowed to disclose nothing to do with the Beta Version of MechWarrior Online, presumably until it either hits open Beta or final release, I don't know which. When you say "I have a key!" it's an instant violation, and not only can they terminate your account, but the form you signed gives them some form of *legal* recourse. I don't know the wording of it, so I can't be any more specific than that.

The real ****** for me is this - my chance to play this game early may very well get ruined by some 13-year-old who doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut because he feels the need to tell everyone about how much better he is. If *I* was on the Dev team, I'd instantly say to shut down the handing out of beta keys, and keep it within a small pool of people until it hits open beta.

So, a couple tips. 1.) Get key, enjoy game, keep it to yourself. 2.) If you have problems with said game, it's a BETA. File a bug report, don't ask on OPEN FORUM what you're doing wrong. We don't have it, and if we did, we can't answer. 3.) If your beta access gets yanked because of your inability to keep your jaw from flapping, don't complain. A.) You'd still violate the NDA and B.) You deserve it. We call it Karma. But I do not want to be punished, or at least excluded, because you can't keep your mouth shut.

To the Devs of the game - Kudos, you have more patience than I would have. I hope this final launch goes off without a hitch, because I've been waiting for a game like this for years. ;)

#2 Bearcut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 261 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Good post
Except for one thing

People who break the NDA don't really get a chance to complain after termination, which is sweet justice in a way.

#3 Nairdowell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 193 posts
  • LocationDeep in my hidden lab, atop a mountain, somewhere in the backwoods of Tennessee, USA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

Just so you know Juice... I have it on good authority that the beta profiles are not being used for the Founder's Beta keys (I'm in same boat)....

So we wait..... Perhaps until Aug 7, but it's coming (yes, I know... slowly!)

#4 therealswilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNot Tellin' ya foo's

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

Wait August 7th?!

Craaaap. That's two days before I fly out to Vancouver.

#5 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

I HAVE A KEY!!!!

TO MORDOR!

#6 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

I HAVE A KEY!!!!

TO MY CAR!

#7 Caboose30

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 880 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

I won't say I don't care about how they're distributing beta keys, because obviously I want one. But I do know there's a ton of consideration that goes into handing them out. To assume that they have millions they can send at the press of a button is not only wrong, but disrespectful. They're giving you the possibility of seeing a game before it's available to the public. That's like complaining about getting mid instead of front row seats to the premiere of a movie. I understand that most kids these days don't quite get the concept of waiting, maybe they never built models and had to let the glue set. Maybe they sniffed too much of the glue. I don't care. I just want people to *think* before they get outraged that they aren't immediately signed up for something that isn't available anyway.

#8 PewPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationUS - East

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

So brave.

#9 MechaDraco

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationEqustria

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

I was actually gonna comment on the whole giving out alot of keys, not only does a lot of concideration usually go into the distribution, they also almost have to give out extra keys to help test their server side systems, the whole beta that started at july 10th from what I can tell has been nothing more than a stress test to make sure the new system can handle all the founders that are going to be coming in on aug 7th.

#10 WPxRoadRunner

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

Well written! I just hope my computer will be able to handle this bad boy...

#11 Godhand

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationLazer Park, NY

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 20 July 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

I HAVE A KEY!!!!

TO MORDOR!

One does not simply key into the beta.

#12 Chillybill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

On August all who purchased a founders pack go into beta, and once in beta we are not allowed to even let anyone know we are in beta, so by purchasing a founders pack do we violate the NDA because everyone will know we are in beta because we have founders tag associated with our profile and it shows when we post, if i stop posting will I still be in violation or will they lock our profiles from view so no one will know we are in beta, I am confused

hahaha
;)

#13 Caboose30

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 880 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

The safe thing to do would be like playing Poker. Don't talk about your cards until everyone gets to lay them on the table.

#14 Trillumia Bastion

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

This is simply just another method to try and "prove" that they deserve beta, thinking that it will actually mean something to the devs thats THEY will be responsible. In other terms, it is pandering, begging , for a beta key.

I absolutely loathe people who beg, no matter their method or reason. EVERYONE on these forums wantsto be in the beta. Itis not likely to ocur for some. Some people that do not deserve one will get them, while some who do, will not.

Just quit the various, shameless begging.

#15 Holem

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationReddit

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

Thanks Trilluminati, I just noticed that the poster was the same one that "switched" views.

This isn't grade school where you take things away because people are bad. This is a business that has a lot of competition that if they didn't plan for stuff like that, they'll have other issues. If anything, the "leaks" have generated more interest in the game than not. Most of us here probably wouldn't be the ones to break the NDAs.

Anyhoo, I can't wait to finally step into the cockpit again after so long!

Edited by Holem, 20 July 2012 - 06:27 PM.

#16 Daeso

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

I think they should start sending the keys silently that way yer not disappointed everyday.... but of course there would have to be more support for this to happen. I definitely would chill in front of the pc a majority of the night waiting for a key because my phone would let me know I have an email.

#17 Kumakichi

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Threads like this are so rare. I mean you talked yourself up and kissed a lot of dev butt at the same time trying to get a beta key. I'll be shocked when you dont get one.

#18 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Posted Image

#19 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

I think its sad that people need to keep reminding folks. Its like people who always bring pocket knives onto airplanes. You know you cant and when they find it dont be surprised when they check an orifice for contraband.

#20 Chillybill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostViper69, on 20 July 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

I think its sad that people need to keep reminding folks. Its like people who always bring pocket knives onto airplanes. You know you cant and when they find it dont be surprised when they check an orifice for contraband.

hahaha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users