27 replies to this topic

#1 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:35 AM

The compass objective markers for conquest and assault often get messed up, getting stuck while turning or otherwise showing up in the wrong direction.
This has been happening for a very long time now, and is very annoying

EDIT: I swear I put this on patch feedback, mods feel free to move.

Posted Image

Edited by Troutmonkey, 02 September 2015 - 04:10 PM.

#2 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:28 AM

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't tell what you're talking about. Compass bearing is based on the direction your are facing out of your cockpit. What is wrong in all those videos? I was trying to get a reference point and compass heading - you moving around made it a bit more difficult, but on Mordor, I noticed that East was where the lava flow was on the side of that hill. When you turned back at the end, you were looking East and still looking at roughly the same heading. I can't see the problem.

#3 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:36 AM

Heh I saw the sun rising in the north on the new Forest Colony... I have a screenshot somewhere...

Posted Image

That... shouldn't happen. North and South are always situated on a planet's axis of spin. Unless this is a tidally locked world (it isn't), the sun should rise in the East or the West (depending on the planet).

#4 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:26 AM

I guess that depends. Does the magnetic poles of a planet need to be near both ends of it's rotational axis? Earth's magnetic poles aren't lined up exactly with it's rotational axis.

If a planet can have it's magnetic poles turned 90° (at it's equator), then I suppose a scenario is possible depending on where you are standing on the planet. (Location determining if the sun rises in the North or South).

Then like someone mentioned, there is that whole tidal locking thing.

Whatever, it's Science Fiction, I'm cool with whatever as long as it is believable without looking too far into it.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 02 September 2015 - 07:27 AM.

#5 Relek Nom

• PipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:37 AM

Wrong a planet can spin anyway

Uranus axis is 97o
Pluto is 122.5
Venus 180( it spins the other way)

Edited by Relek Nom, 02 September 2015 - 07:39 AM.

#6 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:55 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 02 September 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

That... shouldn't happen. North and South are always situated on a planet's axis of spin. Unless this is a tidally locked world (it isn't), the sun should rise in the East or the West (depending on the planet).

Where did you take Astronomy, Physics, and Orbital Mechanics at?

#7 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 02 September 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

Where did you take Astronomy, Physics, and Orbital Mechanics at?

I write hard science fiction. That's good enough for me. I have spent thousands of hours pouring over physics, journals, NASA studies, etc.

Man is capable of anything if they put their mind to it. ;)

Edit: And before you say Uranus, it is technically an exception (as there are these things known as exceptions, the more we learn and explore--we don't know all the answers!) as the "days" are 40 years in length. Though a day is based in rotation, that planet is special due to its axial tilt and its orbit is what gives it its nouveau day.

Edited by Mister Blastman, 02 September 2015 - 08:10 AM.

#8 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:13 AM

View PostRelek Nom, on 02 September 2015 - 07:37 AM, said:

Uranus axis is 97o
Pluto is 122.5

Uranus north is still north along the axis of spin. The day is due to orbit, not axial spin. North and south are bound to axis of spin. A day on Uranus is 40 years. A day on Forest Colony is one hour. Forest Colony is rotating on axis of spin--otherwise it would be so close to a star the surface would be nothing but blasted rock, dust and molten slag.

Edited by Mister Blastman, 02 September 2015 - 08:14 AM.

#9 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:17 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 02 September 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

I write hard science fiction. That's good enough for me. I have spent thousands of hours pouring over physics, journals, NASA studies, etc.

Man is capable of anything if they put their mind to it. ;)

Edit: And before you say Uranus, it is technically an exception (as there are these things known as exceptions, the more we learn and explore--we don't know all the answers!) as the "days" are 40 years in length. Though a day is based in rotation, that planet is special due to its axial tilt and its orbit is what gives it its nouveau day.

What if the planet is in a Twin Star system? Perhaps the one you saw was a second star and the East West one only show every 5 days???? :)

About edit: Seems we may have found another "exception" then. ;)

#10 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:32 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 02 September 2015 - 08:17 AM, said:

What if the planet is in a Twin Star system? Perhaps the one you saw was a second star and the East West one only show every 5 days???? :)

About edit: Seems we may have found another "exception" then. ;)

Oh come on man. There probably isn't a twin star. You'd likely see some evidence of it on the horizon in one direction or another--and after five or fifty drops, we'd have our answer! Spend some time in Space Engine, you'll see. ;)

I only wish I had tools ten years ago like I do now.

Lots of things are possible! But north and south along the axis of rotation are basic astronomy.

#11 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:36 AM

The more I play video games the more I realize that many folks only use left and right from their own view point and have zero understanding of global directions and their practical applications.

I think this is why PGI has the map turn relative to the mech and each square is marked. I have yet to see the N,S,E,W markings on the maps, and I thought this was because the mapped turned and North would no longer be at the top.

I have spent thousands of hours mountain biking in the Oregon mountains and the use of maps is a secondary language, because a wrong turn could end up in a very cold night out at best. It just seems that gamers have decided that a thousand year old technology is too complicated.

#12 Product9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts
  • LocationDenial

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:14 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 02 September 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

I think you meant 'poring'

http://www.vocabular...ords/pore-pour/

From one writer to another.

#13 Product9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts
  • LocationDenial

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:18 AM

View PostChuck YeaGurr, on 02 September 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

The more I play video games the more I realize that many folks only use left and right from their own view point and have zero understanding of global directions and their practical applications.

I think this is why PGI has the map turn relative to the mech and each square is marked. I have yet to see the N,S,E,W markings on the maps, and I thought this was because the mapped turned and North would no longer be at the top.

I have spent thousands of hours mountain biking in the Oregon mountains and the use of maps is a secondary language, because a wrong turn could end up in a very cold night out at best. It just seems that gamers have decided that a thousand year old technology is too complicated.

Speed over accuracy. You don't have time to analyze maps when you're being shot at.

If you want a more accurate picture you have the Battlegrid.

Edited by Product9, 02 September 2015 - 09:48 AM.

#14 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:15 AM

View PostProduct9, on 02 September 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

I think you meant 'poring'

http://www.vocabular...ords/pore-pour/

From one writer to another.

No, I think he meant pouring. You'd need a lot of coffee to stay awake reading that crap. ;)

#15 mike29tw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:16 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 02 September 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

Heh I saw the sun rising in the north on the new Forest Colony... I have a screenshot somewhere...

Posted Image

Didn't know that Neil deGrasse Tyson plays MWO as well.

#16 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:24 AM

View PostRelek Nom, on 02 September 2015 - 07:37 AM, said:

Uranus axis is 97o
Pluto is 122.5

You beat me too it...

Yes venus spins backwards....so ti would be the total opposite to that degree but it still has a North and South pole.

Also some planets have large wobbles...so the sun maybe arose in the East yesterday...in the North today and back to the east tomorrow.

View PostMister Blastman, on 02 September 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

Oh come on man. There probably isn't a twin star. You'd likely see some evidence of it on the horizon in one direction or another--and after five or fifty drops, we'd have our answer! Spend some time in Space Engine, you'll see. ;)

I only wish I had tools ten years ago like I do now.

Lots of things are possible! But north and south along the axis of rotation are basic astronomy.

Actually with modern data its more rare for a star to be singular then a binary system...so two or more stars would make some sense.

Edited by DarthRevis, 02 September 2015 - 11:25 AM.

#17 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:37 AM

Next question, what is the rotational speed of the Forest Colony planet that it has 15 minute days, and how do space craft entering the atmosphere survive? the forces/friction generated by the atmosphere must be incredible.

Edited by Agent 0 Fortune, 02 September 2015 - 11:38 AM.

#18 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 02 September 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

Next question, what is the rotational speed of the Forest Colony planet that it has 15 minute days, and how do space craft entering the atmosphere survive? the forces/friction generated by the atmosphere must be incredible.

Planet rotates quickly. You are dropped off just before sunset starts or just before sunrise. Due to the speed of rotation, the event only takes a few min.

Drop ships lined with a form of heat tile or a form of Aerogel. Since a drop ship can come under fire and such materials make poor armor, I'm guessing that the material can be applied at will by the drop ship's systems. Maybe as a foam or fluid that then "sets up" and bonds to the hull to become a proper heat barrier.

Lastly...science fiction so only has to be believable enough to suspend disbelief :).

#19 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:49 PM

View PostProduct9, on 02 September 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

Speed over accuracy. You don't have time to analyze maps when you're being shot at.

If you want a more accurate picture you have the Battlegrid.

The battle grid is the map. It takes milliseconds to see the map and its use is the same as the heat chart or paper doll.

If somebody feels that the secondary info takes too much time this is my point exactly. It should not. I still need to remember many people do not read one book over 300 pages a year. I guess this is a chew gum and walk issue.

#20 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:07 PM

View PostChuck YeaGurr, on 02 September 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

I guess since I've used maps all my life, I was in for a shock when I joined the Army and realized how many of my fellow soldiers have no idea how to read a map.

I guess since I'm so used to using a paper map in the real world I hate digital maps in video games that orient with the player and not to the terrain. The "top" of the minimap should always be grid north.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users