96 replies to this topic

#61 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

It's the bullies complaining nobody wants to play with them any more, then beating up the few that do come back and say don't come back till you're a bully too.

GGDerp

#62 Haji1096

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 339 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:01 PM

People are {Richard Cameron}, sorry that happened.

#63 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:04 PM

Posted Image

#64 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:08 PM

View PostcSand, on 02 September 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

"... unless you're gonna play hard"

said to us last night by our 1337 teammates after we lost to a 12 man

I didnt realize the group queue was for 1337 units only. Yea, I guess we should apologize for ruining your group queue with our non-cheese mechs

So,
I'm sorry! Can you please forgive us for wanting to play with the big boys?

Well cSand, I'll give them one better. I've all but stopped playing period.

You get people with the "must win at all costs or ***** about my team" players, add that in with the cheese builds with instant convergence that can core an Atlas in one alpha and the completely stale game play that comes from playing for more than 3 years now with the same modes and mostly the same maps.

Heck, they are lucky if I log on in a weeks time.

I've also stopped spending money and as a collector, THAT is a big deal.

#65 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:31 PM

Look just turn off comes and just use teamspeak to talk to the people you are dropping with. Use the minimap to see what your team is doing. And only use game text chat to say high to your friends. If you do that you will be much happier. :)

#66 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:36 PM

What's more useful...a LRM carrier that manages to score 300 damage average, as many as 10 assists, and is working from 400 meters, or a direct fire mech that goes down 30 seconds in and only manages to get one shot off? That's me, frankly, I don't deny it. In LRM carriers, if I can get locks, I'm average. I'm a lot less so outside of the LRM game.

I'm inconsistent in anything carrying energy weapons or ACs as primary. In 35 drops tonight I never got more than 75 damage. I got one kill the entire night and that was when I got frustrated and took a LRM carrier in and got 235, a kill, two assists, and a rack of awards for most damage in a kill, solo kill, etc. And this was in solo queue. Last night I ran all large lasers the whole night and was running wild. PSR? I haven't a clue. Tonight sucked. Last night didn't. The night before did. And the night before that I ran LRMs and got 100% shut out by radar derp, ECM, people who refused to lock up targets, and people hunting me personally because of their hatred of LRM carriers, and so I fluctuated damage scores from 0 to 200 depending on how successful I was in positioning so I could get direct locks.

I think that whether LRMs work well or outright suck depends on how good the pilot is. It's a less inconsistent weapon if the pilot is skilled. I, for example, have no skill. But whether you all want to understand the honest truth or not, the honest truth is that if there is no mechanic in this game that routes players like me into it, the game isn't going to survive. We need LRMs, if for no other reason, because they give those of us who aren't l33t and will never be l33t because of machines that have lousy frame rates or the fact that we ain't as young as we used to be (newsflash-we're usually the ones with the most discretionary income-hint, PGI) a route into the game.

I'm not trying to be top tier competitive. I'd just like not to embarrass myself two drops out of three. Sometimes that happens, and it causes me to stick with it another day. Sometimes it doesn't. You can only be the bug rather than the windshield for so long before you get tired of it. When it gets to the point that I'm sick of it I'll shelve this title and go play something else. And I'll take my money with me. I've already spent about what I'd have spent for a AAA game on the Playstation. If I improve, I'll spend more. If I don't see some improvement, I won't. That's basic gamer economics.

If enough people get frustrated enough two or three months into the game to quit because the learning curve is vertical and there is no route into the game except the sniper meta, and going up against fully mastered mechs with every module in the game, with a mech in the basics and no modules because you can't amass the GXP to unlock them, this title will eventually fold. The dearth of players in the CW queues is the warning sign, a canary in the coal mine. When PGI manages to get co-op PVE into the game, terribads like me won't show up so much in solo and group queue and the l33t will have all that to themselves and only drop with the best of the best. But if World of Warcraft and other similar multiplayer games are any metric for comparison, you'll find that the those numbers will be small in comparison to the PvE players who leave the queues behind.

Then who will you farm?

#67 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:45 PM

View PostKira_Onime, on 02 September 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

I really hate this "argument".
At the end of the day, we all play "for fun". It's a game. Having fun is the primary goal.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to call people that use this "argument".
Uneducated?
Selfish?

I tend to go for selfish as their "argument" boils down to "**** you I do what I want and I don't care what you think".

Ultimately, you are free to do what you want but you'll have to realize *this isn't targeted at you more than it is for everyone that thinks like you* that if you bring inefficient stuff to the field, do know you cana receive some flak from people that actually want to win the game.

Interesting take... Albeit freakishly twisted to conform to your inference that I feel I'm above any other player and by the very nature of my belief system, better than them.

There's a big difference between simply playing for the pure enjoyment of it and the quasi-task mastery tryhards undertake...

Biggest difference is my "end-game" is to have fun... win or lose which ultimately begins with me selecting a mech and a mech configuration that fits "me" and "my play-style". Mind you, I still believe I need to be competitive and a contributing member to my team... Just not at the cost of my personal enjoyment.

Tryhards "end-game" is to win. to them "winning" is the source of their "fun". Their inference is in order to win and win decisively one has to commit to the win, which means one has to resign their personal preferences and capitulate to the top-tier vetted meta. Failure to do so means you by default are a liability to your team and are not invested in "winning".

To be clear... I don't care how anyone plays. Be a super-tryhard and buy into the myopic dogma it requires. Just don't attempt to denigrate me or my play style because I don't necessarily agree with the sellout mentality it requires.

It's called "tolerance". Something that seemly is in short supply not only here but everywhere else in life it seems.

Edited by DaZur, 02 September 2015 - 08:31 PM.

#68 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:56 PM

You might be a Tryhard...

...if your method of play requires you to "practice" alone on specific skill sets, or with others to learn how they operate as to best support one another.

...when you desire any player that does not meet a certain set of stats to be banned from playing with you.

... when you learn someone's psr or tier is beneath your minimum standards, they should no longer be allowed to speak or give their opinion till they L2P.

... if you almost never play a mech that is not optimized for the most mathematically and statistically proven methods.

... if the group you play with requires a testing or initiation process

... if you play more than 20 hours a week, but count this separate from all forum time or study time or mechlab time.

... if you live by a near religious zealotry that the way you play is the ONLY way to play and have a near crusading hate for anyone who doesn't.

... if you schedule your life around tournaments, CW and/or leagues

Edited by Kjudoon, 02 September 2015 - 07:57 PM.

#69 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:24 PM

View PostRussianWolf, on 02 September 2015 - 07:08 PM, said:

Well cSand, I'll give them one better. I've all but stopped playing period.

You get people with the "must win at all costs or ***** about my team" players, add that in with the cheese builds with instant convergence that can core an Atlas in one alpha and the completely stale game play that comes from playing for more than 3 years now with the same modes and mostly the same maps.

Heck, they are lucky if I log on in a weeks time.

I've also stopped spending money and as a collector, THAT is a big deal.

This saddens me, we had some good matches together. Keep it real out there my friend!

Edited by cSand, 02 September 2015 - 08:24 PM.

#70 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:31 PM

View PostCoolant, on 02 September 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

Some players, especially new, may not know they can mute people in game. Just bring up the scoreboard and click on the speaker icon all the way to the right. If more people utilize the feature, these loudmouth jerks will realize they'll just be put on mute and so won't bother to epeen.

Waitaminute.

Does the mute icon work for text as well as voice?

(plz plz plz)

Is it persistent, or just "in this match"?

(plz plz plz).

I've not yet come across anyone so obnoxious on voicecomms that I've felt the need to mute them, but there are a few individuals I encounter fairly regularly who spew insults into the text chat pretty much from match start who I could stand to hear less from.

#71 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:41 PM

"e-sports mentality"

#72 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:46 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 02 September 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

...I hear people on the VOIP who are clearly drunk, playing MWO one-handed while eating pizza and trying to get their dog to lick peanut butter off their junk....

Urgh. Thanks for *that* mental image, Alastair.

View PostKjudoon, on 02 September 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

You might be a Tryhard...

...list o'stuff...

It's always a tricky balance. I remember it from WoW, where within my guild we tried pretty hard to avoid similar notions because of the way terms were defined, which was always effectively:

does less work/practice, has less gear than me, has lower standards = filthy casual (steering wheel underhive, to use a phrase I dislike)
does more work/practice than me, has better gear than me, has higher standards = elitist jerk/nolife basement dweller (meta tryhard)

Defining the minimum standard for your guild/clan/team is pretty easy, and people do just that, setting the standard at whatever they want.

Defining the minimum standard for PuG play (and unless you're taking a full 12 with you to group queues, that's what you're doing) is harder. Is it necessary to have mastered the mech(s) you bring? Do you need a full complement of modules? How far down the metamech tier list is "allowable"? Is there a "minimum damage" threshold? Should you have played a minimum number of matches?

In WoW (apologies if the comparison offends), all of the content where you're asking the game to find you extra people to fill out your team have basic requirements that must be met before you're eligible to join the queue (typically player level, and average gear level for max-level instances). Is there a practical way to do something like that in MWO, if we're going to treat the group queues as "hard content"?

Edited by Ano, 02 September 2015 - 09:47 PM.

#73 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:30 PM

So... These tryhards are the bad guys?

#74 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:34 PM

View PostAno, on 02 September 2015 - 09:31 PM, said:

Waitaminute.

Does the mute icon work for text as well as voice?

(plz plz plz)

Is it persistent, or just "in this match"?

(plz plz plz).

I've not yet come across anyone so obnoxious on voicecomms that I've felt the need to mute them, but there are a few individuals I encounter fairly regularly who spew insults into the text chat pretty much from match start who I could stand to hear less from.

Only voice, ony that specifc match.

#75 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:56 PM

Agreed with OP. The rest is TL;DR.

The PUG hate around here is pretty ridiculous. I actually prefer playing in the publics. My match scores average about double there, what they do with team, and average damage per match is almost triple. Easily three times the kills.

Not to say anything bad about the team. They're just that doggone good. And I'm not. Pretty simple. Also, swell bunch to play with, whether winning or losing.

But yeah, if I need to work up the mech for BASIC, ELITE, and MASTER, it's FAR better done in public PUG drops. Heck, if I wanna just NOT hate the game, it's off to the PUG queues I go for an hour, and all is well with the world again.

Was in a drop a little while ago. River City. Before we're even mechs-on-ground, someone's all, "I don't suppose there's any point in saying to stick together", or something. DAFudge? Turns out, we rolled pretty well. An uncoordinated group managed to stick together, hold a position in lower city, focus targets, and pull a decent win (12-8 or 12-7, I think). They were even handicapped with ME on their team, in a light mech with a niche build I've run all of TWO matches now (that was the first of the two). Did we PUGs pull weight? You betcha.

Having trouble getting the PUGs to do what you think is the right thing? Well, there are a couple possibilities.

1.) PUGs just are that silly. (Hint: on occasion, but not usually)

2.) Maybe you're facing a language barrier. (Hint: this game has a VERY international audience, and it's pretty rude to assume that we all need to understand one language to play the same game)

3.) Maybe, JUST MAYBE, you're not much of a leader. (No need for hints. You KNEW that's where I've been headed with this.)

An old definition of leadership, from an organization that sometimes even manages to do it acceptably:

Leadership is the process of motivating others to accomplish a task by providing purpose, direction, and motivation.

If you're worried that <Stiffler_voice> That sounds like a lot of work </Stiffler_voice>, you're right. Luckily for you, purpose and motivation are provided already, free of charge. And if you can't handle even a third of that weaksauce definition of leadership, providing direction, then maybe it's not the PUGs that deserve your disrespectful tone...

#76 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:57 PM

View Postugrakarma, on 02 September 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

So... These tryhards are the bad guys?

No. People who are not accepting of others having fun different ways are the badguys. Tryhards are the most vociferous offenders currently in this game. Solo puggists trying to drive all group players out of solo queues even when alone WERE the badguys then VOIP ended that stupidity.

Hope that clarifies.

#77 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:04 AM

View PostcSand, on 02 September 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

"... unless you're gonna play hard"

said to us last night by our 1337 teammates after we lost to a 12 man

I didnt realize the group queue was for 1337 units only. Yea, I guess we should apologize for ruining your group queue with our non-cheese mechs

So,
I'm sorry! Can you please forgive us for wanting to play with the big boys?

actually, just reply: if you wanna tryhard, go 12 premade or stop crying.

#78 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:07 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 03 September 2015 - 01:04 AM, said:

actually, just reply: if you wanna tryhard, go 12 premade or stop crying.

Sick of tryhards thinking it's everyone else's job in this game to service their entertainment needs because they're special, too?

Casual groups? I have no problems. This stuff... just go back to CW where you can be masters of your domain. Here... take it. The rest of us will wait for PvE Co-Op mode to really leave you all behind.

#79 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:11 AM

View PostDamien Tokala, on 02 September 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

i've always said, 12 mans should only fight 12 mans, 6 mans should only fight 6 mans, and 4 mans should only fight 4 mans, and 2 man groups should be paired with other 2 man groups.

But you are forgetting a group.
Posted Image

#80 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:19 AM

Just beat them next time they are on the red team. Winning is possible you know.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users