Visual Esthetics Is Vs. Clan

BattleMechs General

31 replies to this topic

#1 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:50 AM

Ok, so here's an interestign topic..

Which mechs are "More estehtically pleasing" to you guys?

I dont mean cammos, I mean pure geometry..

I know Clan mechs were meant to be "more spartan" and simple, and IS mechs have more luxurious cockpits..

But somehow.. after seeing the Mauler, and just buying the Executioner...

I'm like haaaay.. my Exe so fugly, why you no make Exe like Mauler, all nice and preety? (and with hands)

Then I think to myself.. I can't really think of many IS mechs I like the sight off, other than the Atlas and Awesome, and of course, the Battlemaster.. all other mechs are sort of "fugly" in their own ways..

And on the Clan side of things.. I only like the Tiberwolf and the Mad dog.. all other are also kind of fugly..

What do you guys think?

Also, note that when I say "fugly" I mean it in a kind and playful way.. not intended to insult anyone or anything..

Also, make shure you state your "Bestest looking mech"... For me, by a landslide, its the Timberwolf. Second place Atlas, third place Mad Dog..

I wish there was a mech that looked exactly like the Timberwolf, but with laser/ppc barrels extending far forward, instead of missle pods.. kind of like in the.....marauder :ph34r:

Disclaimer:
PGI, I think you'v done a great job designing mechs, its the lore that's made them so fugly to me, and you are not to blame. I love all your mecs none the less..

Edited by Vellron2005, 04 September 2015 - 06:00 AM.

#2 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:55 AM

Inner Sphere mechs are boxy, colored, and battleworn. Picking anything else is heresy.

#3 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:56 AM

Almost every clan mech is extremely ugly. Almost every IS mech are either good looking or cool looking.

#4 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:58 AM

aesthetically? mechs are ugly. I like the EXE because its the ugliest.

#5 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:01 AM

I feel pretty! Oh so pretty!

Posted Image

#6 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:03 AM

I don't think its a clan vs IS thing. Clans have some of the most ugly ones (SCR, IFR) and some of the best looking ones. But also IS has some very cool looking ones, the KGC is epic, also Raven looks great or circadas. Too many Is mechs are too boring similar win their human shaped form, mostly when it comes to FS9's commandos and spiders. They differ visually, but not much by appearance, so they lakc soem character. PGI did a greta job creating the patnther to look a bit more different to differ it better form the other human shaped lights. otheriwse if given more lore closer look it would just have been another "human shaped boxy one"

Edited by Lily from animove, 04 September 2015 - 06:03 AM.

#7 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:06 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 04 September 2015 - 06:03 AM, said:

PGI did a greta job creating the patnther to look a bit more different to differ it better form the other human shaped lights. otheriwse if given more lore closer look it would just have been another "human shaped boxy one"

Mmm, forgot about the Panther. Yes, indeed. Good point.

#8 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:10 AM

I don't think its a clan vs IS thing. Clans have some of the most ugly ones (SCR, IFR) and some of the best looking ones. But also IS has some very cool looking ones, the KGC is epic, also Raven looks great or circadas. Too many Is mechs are too boring similar win their human shaped form, mostly when it comes to FS9's commandos and spiders. They differ visually, but not much by appearance, so they lakc soem character. PGI did a greta job creating the patnther to look a bit more different to differ it better form the other human shaped lights. otheriwse if given more lore closer look it would just have been another "human shaped boxy one"

Yup. Imo the Panther is one of the best looking mechs in the game and has the best movement animations.

#9 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:12 AM

Of the currently released models the King Crab is the best looking mech in the game imo.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 04 September 2015 - 06:12 AM.

#10 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:12 AM

I don't think its a clan vs IS thing. Clans have some of the most ugly ones (SCR

all the better to hug you, my dear

Posted Image

#11 Rakshasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 560 posts
  • LocationThe Underhive, Pomme De Terre

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:20 AM

IS side of things my favourites are the Panther, Highlander, King Crab and (just from the screenshots) the upcoming Mauler. Fugliest is the Wolverine by far.

Clan side, I'm a fan of the Hellbringer. I also have a soft spot for the Gargoyle and Executioner, which are so ugly it wraps around into a strange kind of awesome. Warhawk is probably my least favourite, it looks like the inbred forsaken offspring of a dump truck and a DeLorean.

Overall, the IS aesthetic is more my cup of tea. It looks more battleworn and angular than Clantech, which I find a bit too smooth and rounded. IS cockpits are usually roomy and interesting too, and at least look halfway futuristic (sort of); Clan ones look way too primitive for their supposed tech level, at least to my eyes. Too many pressure bottles, exposed hoses and metal frames in weird places - like the whole thing is just waiting for one hit to the head to explode spectacularly :blink:

Edited by Rakshasa, 04 September 2015 - 06:27 AM.

#12 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:26 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 04 September 2015 - 06:12 AM, said:

Of the currently released models the King Crab is the best looking mech in the game imo.

Yeah, KGC is one of my favorites, at least partially because it reminds me of the Marauder. I also like the Urbie, Cent, and Panther.

Clan side, I think the Shadowcat and Ebon are two of the better looking ones, and the Kit Fox. I do wish they'd rework the Timber, because I'm hung up on the old art work for that one, and their Timbie looks like the old ones chunky cousin or something.

#13 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:31 AM

I still think the Marauder has the potential to be the best-looking mech in this game.

Posted Image

#14 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:39 AM

Clans in practice

IS in MW:O .

Clans get shafted geometry... sure it looks nice(ish) for the ebon jaguar, the timberwolf, etc...

But executioner, warhawk, mist lynx, hellbringer, etc are prime examples of where geometry went sloppy in new mechs.
While IS get better and better- the Mauler gets it's ears properly sized and reduced if you go small. the arms are circular and work well with both PPC and lasers, etc.... Wolfhound, black knight, etc get diagonal laser ports bad stuff. etc.,..
The quality for IS mechs keeps getting higher and higher.

But clans?

Hellbringer for eg when simply mounting 2 MG's has a LOT of gunmetal around the area, much more then concept art which concept originally had a insignia there- granted we got none atm still- that's a lot of wasted space where cammo would normally be.
Also missile pods often have access space as well...

Mist lynx? the MG's and missiles are the biggest problem, such as location and size and shape, the other problem being the lasers, machine guns, etc are quite big as well as the fact that a UAC 2/5 or LBX/ AC doesn't fit IN the arm but on top of it.
This not only hinders it's beauty- but also hinders it' gameplay wise.

Warhawk doesn't have it's fantastic arms... but mauler does...

List can go on... It feels overall that not that much of effort is put into some of the clan mechs- rather that be because they are polishing the polish on the timberwolf, ebon jaguar, ice ferret (I think it looks nice, but even if you do not like it it's weapon mounts are at least nice, reasonable, and tidy).

Overall I would take IS over clan any day if we're talking MW: O.

#15 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 04 September 2015 - 05:50 AM, said:

But somehow.. after seeing the Mauler, and just buying the Executioner...

I'm like haaaay.. my Exe so fugly, why you no make Exe like Mauler, all nice and preety? (and with hands)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, i got myself a brand new Executioner last weekend just because it looks like a monster. The Mauler is pretty, but there's something to be said about a killing machine that is not only ugly but terrifying. The whole thing about the Atlas that was said about being scary should be changed to "it looks nice and composed compared to an Executioner". Many days of making loadout in smurphy that ended in failures got deleted from my memory long enough for me to buy one. But i do tend to buy and play mech based solely on their looks.

And i have to admit, only a few games in it and it was awesome, i loved being able to go from forward to backward full throtle in 1/10 of a second, you can use the boost to make your jumpjet worthwhile, where in an highlander you need a damn landing strip to run to get the velocity required to fly.

#16 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:23 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 04 September 2015 - 06:43 AM, said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, i got myself a brand new Executioner last weekend just because it looks like a monster. The Mauler is pretty, but there's something to be said about a killing machine that is not only ugly but terrifying. The whole thing about the Atlas that was said about being scary should be changed to "it looks nice and composed compared to an Executioner". Many days of making loadout in smurphy that ended in failures got deleted from my memory long enough for me to buy one. But i do tend to buy and play mech based solely on their looks.

And i have to admit, only a few games in it and it was awesome, i loved being able to go from forward to backward full throtle in 1/10 of a second, you can use the boost to make your jumpjet worthwhile, where in an highlander you need a damn landing strip to run to get the velocity required to fly.

this x10. I really fell in love with the EXE when I came toe to toe with another during the first days of wave 3. The misshapen arms were belching UACs and lasers, and the light effects were highlighting the ugly jowls and blank gaze of the mech's totem cockpit. The face, screwed up shoulders\arms, combined with the schizophrenic hardpoints gave an overwhelming feeling of 'undead monstrosity.'

#17 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:56 AM

For me currently the Sexicutioner is the most bad@ss looking machine in the game, its a prefect representation of the classic schematic design.

#18 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:57 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 04 September 2015 - 06:12 AM, said:

all the better to hug you, my dear

Posted Image

those tiny arms can not even hug a locust.

#19 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:13 AM

Never forget.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:20 AM

All this game has to do is bring back Inverse Kinetics, and I will likely never gripe about the graphics again. Burns my eyes to see an Atlas' feet hovering in mid-air just because he's standing on a gently-sloping hill.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users