39 replies to this topic

#1 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts
  • LocationI live in a Mech Hangar

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:47 AM

I'm sure this isn't the first time this subject has come up in a topic and it frustrates MANY players.

I have a 55 inch screen I play MWO on and I sit 5 ft away from the screen and yet, I CANT READ THE WORDS IN CLAN CHAT! Half the letters are obscured by a wierd graphics anamoly that runs horizontal accross the top of every letter. Its so damn SMALL you cant even freakin read it either. I cant even imagine how people on lab tops, or smaller LED screens can even read the chat let alone see it.

I will point out that this game has many great qualities you cant find anywhere else but while that may be true, there are serious iniqualties that even after many many years of frustration from the players and PGI sitting on their hands STILL plagues this game and prevents the maximized enjoyment of co-op and single launch pvp. Seriously PGI, this should be a priority. Not a (we will get to it when we can) project.

Ingame chat is terrible, the worst of any game I've EVER used and I am not exagerating. Ingame chat, bugs anytime you are viewing from another mech, deletes what you type when that pilot dies, and so on. You cant even type without the game deleting your chat progress for communicating what needs to be said. Like "BEH - (pilot dies) B (pilot dies) F-CK "Its too late, I was going to say BEHIND YOU GUYS LIGHT MECH But youre dead now"

Launching, and chatting, dont seem to go together either. Its like you cant even talk as you wait for your engine to search for a session in progress, and yet you cant say what you were about to say just before your grp leader hits Lauch. AND then when you load into the session, you may not even get to retype what you were going to say cuz of time.

I'm sure there are programmers out there that could even volinteer software or PGI can just buy an application for a chat system to impliment into the game. Idk how it works but I'm sure theres someone out there thats talented enough to help PGI if PGI is not going to work with us. I do not use TS and nor will I EVER use it, just based on perverted behavior in the past by guys on TS, joke if you want >.> ugh.

Edited by Powder Puff Pew Pew, 04 September 2015 - 12:53 AM.

#2 kesmai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:18 AM

Maybe get a monitor? Instead of a cinemascope tv? There is quite a good uhd 40" Phillips around for a good price if You need to go big. Don't forget the 980ti/fury xt though.

#3 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:38 AM

Holy crap, a 55"?

I've been toying with the idea of hooking up my PC to my 50" TV and playing on there, but I haven't been able to come up with a good way to play with a mouse/keyboard from the couch.

I'm not familiar with the horizontal tearing you're referring to, but could it have something to do with your resolution or some scaling feature on your TV? I'm assuming you're playing at 1080p? I don't think MWO's UI scales very well at higher resolutions. If you're playing at 4k or something, I would try turning your resolution down and seeing if that helps at all.

In general, though, it seems like text chat stopped getting major updates around the time VOIP was released. One of those "low priority" things. It's a real shame, too, because chat disappearing all the time is really, really annoying.

Also Social Tab chat. Holy crap. It is nearly impossible to get anyone's attention with that little blinking light at the bottom corner of the UI. We need an actual pop-up message window or something. I can't tell you how many times I've sent or received a message in MWO only to completely miss it or have it completely missed because no one notices the light.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:00 AM

It's our a Plasma or LED?

I ask. Because I play MWO on both a 47" LED, and my 17" Laptop. And I can read the chat fine on both, with no arising and the fine size is great.

But.... For a while I had a 40" 1080p Samsung Plasma, and had the exact issues you speak of. No matter how I adjusted the in game resolution, nothing worked.

Very real chance it's your hardware, sir.

#5 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:35 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 September 2015 - 02:00 AM, said:

It's our a Plasma or LED?

I ask. Because I play MWO on both a 47" LED, and my 17" Laptop. And I can read the chat fine on both, with no arising and the fine size is great.

But.... For a while I had a 40" 1080p Samsung Plasma, and had the exact issues you speak of. No matter how I adjusted the in game resolution, nothing worked.

Very real chance it's your hardware, sir.

Thats "miss" but ty for the input. Its deffinaly not my hardware. My graphics on MWO are amazing. Its a LED 3d 55" TV but the way I have everything set up is, I have a gameing chair I sit in, with the keyboard on my lap, and I have Dice shaped footstools "square" I rest my arm on with my mouse pad. I've tried chaning the resolution many times, and even adjusting the window size hopeing it would illimiate the graphics issue but didnt work.

Thats not my main concern though. My main issue is the ingame chat box system. Its absolutly horrible. Theres no option to report players for hacking, no way to report verbal abuse, and the chat box is so primitive that I would compaire it to early 1990's aol messenger lol. PIG COME ON you can do better than this. Seriously. I think we have enough maps for a rotation. You litterly have more maps in this game than some MMO's

Edited by Powder Puff Pew Pew, 04 September 2015 - 01:36 PM.

#6 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:41 PM

View PostPowder Puff Pew Pew, on 04 September 2015 - 01:35 PM, said:

Thats "miss" but ty for the input. Its deffinaly not my hardware. My graphics on MWO are amazing. Its a LED 3d 55" TV but the way I have everything set up is, I have a gameing chair I sit in, with the keyboard on my lap, and I have Dice shaped footstools "square" I rest my arm on with my mouse pad. I've tried chaning the resolution many times, and even adjusting the window size hopeing it would illimiate the graphics issue but didnt work.

Thats not my main concern though. My main issue is the ingame chat box system. Its absolutly horrible. Theres no option to report players for hacking, no way to report verbal abuse, and the chat box is so primitive that I would compaire it to early 1990's aol messenger lol. PIG COME ON you can do better than this. Seriously. I think we have enough maps for a rotation. You litterly have more maps in this game than some MMO's

It does need a direct report feature. As it stands, I screen cap then email it in, if needed. But Hope you get yours sorted.AS I said, I find it quite readable on both screens I use. But When I had a TV that didn't work with, it was indeed very frustrating.

#7 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:46 PM

I think I do get what she's saying, while I can read chat, it is a little cut off, or maybe it's just an odd font they use.

For reference I'm only on a 20" LED.

As far as how long chat stays on screen, that's always annoyed me, and the inability to use it while waiting for matches is definitely a detriment.

Overall the in-game chat just has a very awkward, archaic feel, and could definitely use an update, but it's likely very low on PGI's list atm, with CW improvements, balance changes, and new packs all on the horizon first.

#8 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:09 PM

View PostPowder Puff Pew Pew, on 04 September 2015 - 12:47 AM, said:

Ingame chat is terrible, the worst of any game I've EVER used and I am not exagerating. Ingame chat, bugs anytime you are viewing from another mech, deletes what you type when that pilot dies, and so on. You cant even type without the game deleting your chat progress for communicating what needs to be said. Like "BEH - (pilot dies) B (pilot dies) F-CK "Its too late, I was going to say BEHIND YOU GUYS LIGHT MECH But youre dead now"

Launching, and chatting, dont seem to go together either. Its like you cant even talk as you wait for your engine to search for a session in progress, and yet you cant say what you were about to say just before your grp leader hits Lauch. AND then when you load into the session, you may not even get to retype what you were going to say cuz of time.
Agree, this annoys me to no end.

#9 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:17 PM

aha, PS4 player.. 55 tv.

#10 ShadowFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:25 PM

It would be nice to NOT have all the "XXX disconnects messages" scrolling the text chat screen all the time. Its so few lines and not having a manual scrolling side ruler to pull up and down is sad.

#11 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:40 PM

View PostShadowFire, on 04 September 2015 - 05:25 PM, said:

It would be nice to NOT have all the "XXX disconnects messages" scrolling the text chat screen all the time. Its so few lines and not having a manual scrolling side ruler to pull up and down is sad.

Absolutely. UGH theres been so many times ingame chat where someone said something and someone dies and it wipes out everything they said so you gota press either M or T just to see who said what. Or sometimes half the time you missed what they said. Like something criticaly important. Scrolling ability should be just as important as a BRAND NEW 2015 chat box. Not something out of the early 1990s. Seriously...

#12 Sorbic

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:44 PM

MWO's chat is one of my biggest pet peeves with the game. I absolutely despise the way chat resets when you're FORCED to view the next mech after one dies. And not being able to scroll up? blargersnozzel....

#13 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:26 AM

The in game chat system in MWO is literally the worst i have ever comes across in my entire time gaming.

#14 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:26 PM

I wish this topic got the attention it deserved atleast from PGI. I'm sure they are aware that their chat box sucks, but the level of frustration it causes players is probably unknown. The more I've been playing MWO the more it frustrates me time after time. If this was me, playing MWO 5 yrs ago, I would have smashed my keyboard probably uninstalled the game. But luckily I'm not as viciously angry as I used to be about the quality of my gaming experience.

#15 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:29 AM

Issues I experienced with the chat in MWO:

1.) BUG
It constantly swallows my sent messages. Yesterday after the patch pretty consistently every other message I sent.
I'm rarely arrogant towards PGI, but seriously: CAN'T YOU CODE A TRIVIAL CHAT?

2.) BUG
Change of scene (e.g. being pushed from your wreck to spectating a player) clears the current input

3.) BUG
Sometimes characters remain in the buffer and can only be cleared by panik-ly hitting "i enter" several times, of course leading to sending gibberish to others.
Might be fixed meanwhile, though, as I haven't seen that one for a while

4.) BUG
Sometimes typing TO FAST interprets the letter as a command (I engage my override while chatting on a regular basis). Again: TRIVIAL CHAT, guys. Proper event handling, etc.

5.) BUG
Change of scene removes or rearranges system messages (X has killed Y, X has disconnected, etc.)

6.)
Missing scroll functionality

7.)
Missing chat windows relocation and resizing functionality

8.)
Missing filter functionality (see only system messages, see only chat, etc.)
Preferably distributable accross multiple chat window instances (if one wishes one for lance, one for team, one for global, one for kills, one for other system messages)

9.)
Missing copy&paste.
(ridiculous)

10.)
Ideally color customization. I find the current colors perfect, but someone might not and it's really just a trivial color variable. You can do it, PGI!
Maybe even font size customization :o.

The more I think about it ... I always plead to financially support the company running this game, but actually they should not be given any money as long as such basic trivial things are in such a bad state.

Little side note: Eve-Online (and of course MANY, MANY others) had ALL these feature / no bugs a DECADE ago.

Edited by Paigan, 09 September 2015 - 12:48 AM.

#16 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:51 AM

View PostPaigan, on 09 September 2015 - 12:29 AM, said:

Issues I experienced with the chat in MWO:

1.) BUG
It constantly swallows my sent messages. Yesterday after the patch pretty consistently every other message I sent.
I'm rarely arrogant towards PGI, but seriously: CAN'T YOU CODE A TRIVIAL CHAT?

2.) BUG
Change of scene (e.g. being pushed from your wreck to spectating a player) clears the current input

3.) BUG
Sometimes characters remain in the buffer and can only be cleared by panik-ly hitting "i enter" several times, of course leading to sending gibberish to others.
Might be fixed meanwhile, though, as I haven't seen that one for a while

4.) BUG
Sometimes typing TO FAST interprets the letter as a command (I engage my override while chatting on a regular basis). Again: TRIVIAL CHAT, guys. Proper event handling, etc.

5.) BUG
Change of scene removes or rearranges system messages (X has killed Y, X has disconnected, etc.)

6.)
Missing scroll functionality

7.)
Missing chat windows relocation and resizing functionality

8.)
Missing filter functionality (see only system messages, see only chat, etc.)
Preferably distributable accross multiple chat window instances (if one wishes one for lance, one for team, one for global, one for kills, one for other system messages)

9.)
Missing copy&paste.
(ridiculous)

10.)
Ideally color customization. I find the current colors perfect, but someone might not and it's really just a trivial color variable. You can do it, PGI!
Maybe even font size customization :o.

The more I think about it ... I always plead to financially support the company running this game, but actually they should not be given any money as long as such basic trivial things are in such a bad state.

Little side note: Eve-Online (and of course MANY, MANY others) had ALL these feature / no bugs a DECADE ago.

Wow amazing post and very eye opening. I had no idea there were so many Chat bugs... like WTF PGI? Seriously? This **** is ancient news but still, it should have been fixed YEARS AGO. Instead they sit on their collective a$$'s and pump out entertaining yet still the same arena type maps over and over. When in gods name is this going to be fixed?

#17 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:15 AM

In this thread:
Powder Puff brings up a number of things that are wrong with the ingame chat system - and it's not even anywhere near a comprehensive list of things that should have been improved long ago - and we'll probably see five pages of people telling her to get a new monitor.

I wonder how far back you can find FPS games with better chat systems than MWO. Ten years? Fifteen? Twenty years?

#18 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:18 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 09 September 2015 - 01:15 AM, said:

In this thread:
Powder Puff brings up a number of things that are wrong with the ingame chat system - and it's not even anywhere near a comprehensive list of things that should have been improved long ago - and we'll probably see five pages of people telling her to get a new monitor.

I wonder how far back you can find FPS games with better chat systems than MWO. Ten years? Fifteen? Twenty years?

Uhm, if you had just read my post...

#19 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:28 AM

View PostPaigan, on 09 September 2015 - 01:18 AM, said:

Uhm, if you had just read my post...

I did read your post. Are you upset because I didn't mention you? I can go back up and edit my post to mention you, if you want.

#20 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:09 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 09 September 2015 - 01:28 AM, said:

I did read your post. Are you upset because I didn't mention you? I can go back up and edit my post to mention you, if you want.

*sigh*

My point was: You missed the point:
- There was a list of things that should have been improved
- There are not only people telling her (really her?) to just get a new monitor
- Your answer about games having the features long before was explicitely answered before you asked it.

So the obvious impression was:
You must either be stupid or you didn't read my post.
As I consider myself I nice person and always try to see and expect the good in people (until I'm disappointed), I chose to believe the second one.

You not getting that but dragging me in the corner of being self-centered pushes me slightly towards the first option, however.

Edited by Paigan, 09 September 2015 - 02:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users