Mwo Runs At Half Fps In Win10 Compared To Vista

12 replies to this topic

#1 A o D

Rookie

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:50 PM

I was able to get MWO to load earlier today, but when I tried to change the video settings the game became unresponsive. Ever since then I cannot get the game to load. I've tried running the repair too, uninstalling and reinstalling, and no matter what, the game will not load whether I run it in 64 or 32 bit mode.

I have the first problem fixed, now I have a framerate issue. Before, MWO would run at between 30 and 60 FPS, even on the fixed maps in Windows Vista. In Windows 10, My frame rate in games tops out at 30, and its usually in the 8 to 20 FPS range in combat. Changing DirectX versions does not change this. Changing the graphics settings does not change this. No matter what I do, my framerate in a match is in the gutter, and the newest maps are the worst culprits.

What is going on here?

Edited by A o D, 30 August 2015 - 08:08 AM.

#2 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:14 AM

What video settings did you change?

#3 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:36 AM

clear the user.cfg file

#4 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:44 PM

Did you change the settings from DX11 to DX9 by chance? If so try if installing the latest DirectX Redistributable package solves your issue.

#5 A o D

Rookie

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:37 PM

Turns out it was a soundcard driver issue. Since WIN10 helpfully automatically updates to the most recent driver, and the most recent driver was causing problems, the only solution was for me to remove my sound card and use the on board audio system.

Of course, now I get between 20 and 8 FPS on the new maps, where in Windows Vista I was averaging between 25-50 FPS. MWO has become essentially unplayable now.

#6 Sturmwind

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 220 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:39 PM

...exactly one of the reason why not every "update" is one.

#7 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:19 AM

Yep i have disabled the driver updates since I want manual control over them. For me it tried to install the newest AMD GPU driver although I had already installed them manually and messed it up so that the catalyst control center did not start up anymore.

#8 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:31 PM

Microsoft Windows 10 ... worth exactly what you paid for it!

#9 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:59 AM

View PostAppogee, on 30 August 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

Microsoft Windows 10 ... worth exactly what you paid for it!

Can not agree there.

My update from Windows 7 to Windows 10 went smooth. Performance in games is the same as before across the board. The system itself though is a lot more responsive than Win 7 was. It boots and shuts down twice as fast. It is a lot more stable when having a lot of applications open at the same time. It adds some very helpful features like virtual (multiple) desktops and window organization.

And as far as the supposed "spyware" goes that tinfoil hatters weave around it's the typical stuff you also get from android, iOS, facebook and google and it is completely optional and can be disabled during setup.

Ark Survival Evolved is supposed to get DX 12 support within the next two weeks as one of the first games at all, I will report back then again if DX 12 is worth it.

All in all though I don't see anything that should keep you from taking the free upgrade while it is available after making sure all important software you are using runs on Win10.

As for the OP's problem: I wouldn't be surprised if the framerate issues are connected to the soundcard driver issues. Wouldn't be the first time I am hearing of incompatible sound drivers or damaged soundcards causing framerate issues. If possible I'd try to remove the soundcard and test the onboard soundchip of the mainboard. Or if it is the onboard soundchip try disabling it and trying the graphics card's HDMI sound.

#10 A o D

Rookie

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:58 AM

Seeing as how I physically removed the problematic soundcard some time ago, I don't think the sound drivers are my problem any longer.

#11 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:04 AM

you physical removed the card but did you remove the drivers for the sound card? Also with windows 10 check to see whats running in the back ground, this could be whats chocking the cpu usage. Some people have had the issue with the Runtime Broker taking ~30%+ of their CPU. they found the fix by going to Settings -> System -> Notifications & actions and unselecting "Show me tips about Windows." It immediately fixed the processor usage when they disabled it,

#12 A o D

Rookie

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:30 PM

The drivers are indeed removed. My background processes take up approximately 2-5% of my cpu cycles.

#13 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:00 AM

What are your system specs?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users