• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:22 PM

View PostElizander, on 07 September 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

Can it go Dual Gauss + 3LL with an XL?

That's how I ended up playing mine though. Each time I want to twist I'd tap the directions a bit to the side to get that arm up and blocking faster. It's not holding down the button and I don't veer off course that badly. I do the same for the Atlas cause that thing twists so slow.

30 tons for 2 gauss rifles and 5 tons of ammo
So 35

5 tons per LL
15 tons

XL 325 is 19 tons

Total of 69 tons.
Could always drop the engine down to a 300 if it's too much.
Otherwise, if the crit slots permit it, seems fairly possible.

#22 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:26 PM

View PostKira_Onime, on 07 September 2015 - 03:12 PM, said:

I don't use either one so I honestly couldn't care any less.
Yeah they have lame turn rates but IMO the Mauler more than makes up for it with near 40 free tons with max engine vs the ~25 of the EXE.

Well the 25 comes with 6 heatsinks.

38 tons of IS ballistics isn't that much.. thats not even enough for 4 AC5s and 8 tons of ammo.

At least the Exe can do the Clan laser vomit (2 cLPL + 4 ER MLs with 26 DHS)

View PostDingo Red, on 07 September 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

And? Why does it have to be a linear scale of 'this assault 'mech is heavier so it mustn't move as fast'? More importantly, what's the problem with it being the same as the Executioner? I imagine this thing is going to easily out-gun and probably out-perform it.

Lol.. i don't even... Then what was your point about it being less maneuverable than lighter mechs?

View PostKira_Onime, on 07 September 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

So 35

5 tons per LL
15 tons

XL 325 is 19 tons

Total of 69 tons.

Yeah dual gauss in an IS XL mech's shoulders is ill-advised....

#23 Kira Onime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:28 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 September 2015 - 03:24 PM, said:

Well the 25 comes with 6 heatsinks.

38 tons of IS ballistics isn't that much.. thats not even enough for 4 AC5s and 8 tons of ammo.

At least the Exe can do the Clan laser vomit (2 cLPL + 4 ER MLs with 26 DHS)

It needs 40 tons for 8 tons of ammo.
I'd personally take a dual gauss setup with 6 tons of ammo. There's 36tons.

#24 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:30 PM

View PostKira_Onime, on 07 September 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

Just dual gauss? Pretty underwhelming, certainly not worthy of the 70 degree twist range. Otherwise, a Jager and Ebon Jaguar should also have a 70 degree torso twist range.

All this is beside the point. This mech was not going to be OP with 80 or 90 degree twist range. I don't see why on earth it needed it in the first place.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 07 September 2015 - 03:31 PM.

#25 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostKira_Onime, on 07 September 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

So 35

5 tons per LL
15 tons

XL 325 is 19 tons

Total of 69 tons.

Thanks. I checked Smurfy. Shaving off some leg armor (leaving 53 points on a Highlander) and putting in a 300XL makes it go at 59 kph and have 54 tons free space for stuff.
  • 2 Gauss Rifles - 30 tons
  • 6x Gauss Ammo - 6 tons (36 total)
  • 3 Large Lasers - 15 tons - (51 total)
  • 3 DHS - 3 tons (54 total)
Would like to squeeze in 1 more DHS in there. 3 LL always goes well with 4 DHS minimum to avoid heat issues for me.

View PostKira_Onime, on 07 September 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

I usually bring 3 tons of ammo for Gauss in puglandia if I go 3LL+Gauss. If I need more than 3 tons of ammo then I'm either having a terrible day or it's one of those rare moments when I'm able to carry ridiculously hard. Having 3LL leaves you with enough sting even when you run out of ammo anyway.

Edited by Elizander, 07 September 2015 - 03:35 PM.

#26 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:33 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 September 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

Lol.. i don't even... Then what was your point about it being less maneuverable than lighter mechs?

Because of the short nature of your OP, the meaning wasn't particularly clear at first. It sounded like you were annoyed at it having less maneuverability than, say, a medium or heavy 'mech.

Anyways, you guys know more about the Mauler's construction possibilities than me so maybe 70 degrees is too short, maybe it isn't... we'll know for sure tomorrow. :P

Edited by Dingo Red, 07 September 2015 - 03:37 PM.

#27 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:34 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 September 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

Just dual gauss? Pretty underwhelming, certainly not worthy of the 70 degree twist range. Otherwise, a Jager and Ebon Jaguar should also have a 70 degree torso twist range.

All this is beside the point. This mech was not going to be OP with 80 or 90 degree twist range. I don't see why on earth it needed it in the first place.

Well of course not only dual gauss.
What I'd take would really depend on the structure setup on the torsos.

Granted an XL in an assault is usually a death trap minus a handfull of setups.

#28 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:35 PM

View PostYellonet, on 07 September 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

R2 package: A bunch of underachieving scrap piles for the lowly IS peasants.

IIC package: A fine selection of godly mechs for ripping everyone buying the R2 package a new one.

A bunch of mechs people theroycrafted in their minds that were going to be great, pre-purchased, but ended up not being what people were hoping.

fix'd

If you haven't noticed the trend, they never let you know very far in advance how the mechs will function, or how they intend on buffing/nerfing mechs. Same goes for the fabled "IIC" pack. Everyone who's purchased Clan mechs or been around for a year is well aware that they are going to have to nerf the hell out of them somehow in the name of balance, but PGI won't come out and say how they intend on doing it until they get their pre-purchases next to the last day.

The Mauler is coming out tomorrow, right? Well, if you pre-purchased it without knowing anything about it... hope you got what you paid for! If not... well, learn from it.

#29 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:40 PM

View PostsaKhan Ds00 Kerensky, on 07 September 2015 - 03:35 PM, said:

fix'd

If you haven't noticed the trend, they never let you know very far in advance how the mechs will function, or how they intend on buffing/nerfing mechs. Same goes for the fabled "IIC" pack. Everyone who's purchased Clan mechs or been around for a year is well aware that they are going to have to nerf the hell out of them somehow in the name of balance, but PGI won't come out and say how they intend on doing it until they get their pre-purchases next to the last day.

The Mauler is coming out tomorrow, right? Well, if you pre-purchased it without knowing anything about it... hope you got what you paid for! If not... well, learn from it.

Its really just that having such a limited torso twist range is annoying to play with, and its so unnecessary that its just frustrating.

View PostDingo Red, on 07 September 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

Because of the short nature of your OP, the meaning wasn't particularly clear at first. It sounded like you were annoyed at it having less maneuverability than, say, a medium or heavy 'mech.

Anyways, you guys know more about the Mauler's construction possibilities than me so maybe 70 degrees is too short, maybe it isn't... we'll know for sure tomorrow. :P

See response above

#30 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

Fix my clunky Pretty Baby first before you start making Maulers dance like ballerinas. :angry:

#31 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:45 PM

This 'Mech has got a pretty decent list of quirks so it could stand up to King Crab (its direct competitor and "forerunner")!

View PostHit the Deck, on 07 September 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

So, this is the breakdown of what each variant specializes in according to the recently announced quirks:
  • MAL-1R: LRM15 (yay!), ballistics
  • MAL-MX90: ballistics
  • MAL-1P: ballistics, PPC
  • MAL-2P: UAC, lazors

Edited by Hit the Deck, 07 September 2015 - 03:45 PM.

#32 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:46 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 September 2015 - 02:49 PM, said:

The Mauler gets 70 degree torso twist range like the Executioner, except no MASC or JJs to help its mobility.

Who comes up with this stuff?

Traditionally speaking the Mauler is supposed to be a long range support platform, not a close range brawler. So Its not unheard of or uncharacteristic of it to have a limited torso range.

The thing is already going to be enough of a brawler even with a drawback, Its not like every mech HAS to accel at brawling in order for it to be worth a damn otherwise there is no point to atlas' king crabs, or any other mech that isn't simply in the "top spot."

Also, with both hard point inflation, better geometry, and the higher mounts, this thing SHOULD have drawbacks of some kind, otherwise it pretty much invalidates the mechs that are SUPPOSED to be better brawlers like the Atlas and King Crab.

#33 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:48 PM

Poor torso twist, barely existent offensive quirks for the ballistics - I'm not seeing it replace the Banshee or Crab. It could be an OK sidegrade though

#34 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:50 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 September 2015 - 02:49 PM, said:

The Mauler gets 70 degree torso twist range like the Executioner, except no MASC or JJs to help its mobility.

Who comes up with this stuff?

Needless to say, I am disappointed.

Ref: http://mwomercs.com/...-09082015-patch

The Executioner suffers from this derangement as well...would like to see them both get a base of 80 to at least keep them as agile as the other mechs...

#35 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:57 PM

Eh... considering it's a dakka mech I don't think a low torso twist angle will hinder it too much since to do damage it has to be constantly facing front. Excepting Dual AC20 versions.

The twist speed quirk will help with spreading laser damage at least.

The general 12.5% ballistic fire rate buffs will be nice when paired with AC5s and the structure buffs give it a bit more staying power. I suspect that until 9/22 the dragon will still be the dakka king (effectively has 6AC5 worth of DPS). Thinking of which... I want someone to run a small STD engine and 6 AC5 because that will be freaking awesome.

#36 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

As a long range 'Mech:

View PostHit the Deck, on 07 September 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

MAL-1P "Walking Bomb":
  • Left-click: 2x Gauss (on the side torsi with 5.5 tons of ammo)
  • Right-click: 2x PPC (on the arms)
  • XL325 (64.3kph), 10DHS

-20% PPC het gen
+15% PPC velocity
+12.5% Gauss cooldown (I hope it means a decrease to ballistic CD, otherwise: :mellow: )

Weapon modules: PPC cooldown (to match the Gauss' CD), PPC range

Edited by Hit the Deck, 07 September 2015 - 04:01 PM.

#37 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:03 PM

My atlas with a 335 to get lplas over llas dies noticeably faster. The crab has great turn rate quirks to make up for speed or xl. Not holding my breath on the mauler.

Clan laser range (mlas 1 ton 405m) and tons o hardpoints with a 2 ton less gauss goes a long way to making mediocre mechs useable (they are hot when using way too many lasers though - better problem than not having the option). Even 2 cuac10s is good at 10 tons and the double tap damage plus rattle compared to the IS 12 ton fixed 10 damage (not saying OP).

I have found not having a background in BT helps because I know the packs will have limited competitive mechs plus there is no past attachment. I wait for them to come out and then buy as a la carte or wait longer for MC. The extras do not offset the cost of mediocre to crap chassis.

#38 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:17 PM

So...

Couldn't people make roughly the same builds on a King Crab, and have better twist along with a lower profile?

Edited by saKhan Ds00 Kerensky, 07 September 2015 - 04:17 PM.

#39 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:23 PM

View PostsaKhan Ds00 Kerensky, on 07 September 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

So...

Couldn't people make roughly the same builds on a King Crab, and have better twist along with a lower profile?

Yeah... only downside with the Crab is the low, wide arms, but then it gets vertical arm articulation.

#40 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:32 PM

I can't WAIT for dual guass XL maulers everywhere.

I mean, what could possibly go wong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users