Sensible Mech Trees And No 3 Variant Requirment

4 replies to this topic

#1 Void2258

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

The pilot trees are left over from very very very early beta and have never been modified, leaving them lackluster and sporting several useless/outdated items, such as an upgrade to beam convergence, a system that was removed from the game in ALPHA. They need to be updated to something more sensible. Rather than or in addition to quirking out all of the mechs, a more interesting and rewarding system would have been to give mechs special abilities in the course of their pilot trees.

Even more important, though, is the need to remove the nonsensical, unbalancing, and unfun 3 variant requirement. This system has lead to several variants being shoved into the game merely to fill out the minimum numbers, including all variants of the Raven other than the 3L (the 2X and 4X are REJECTED PROTOTYPES). Not only does this make no sense canonically (most mech pilots spent their entire careers in a single mech), but gameplay-wise, it forces pilots to field patently inferior mechs, usually in stock configuration because they don't want to waste money on a mech they will sell the instant they reach basic mastery. This is unfun for the pilots in those mechs, who are forced to essentially serve as cannon fodder for 10s of games, and unfun for those playing with those pilots, who are forced to play with teammates who cannot contribute (and often intentionally suicide so they can leave the match sooner). There are more than enough time/money sinks in the game that do not involve making it actively less fun for all players involved. One Mech, one EXP tree is more than sufficient.

Edited by Void2258, 08 September 2015 - 02:42 PM.

#2 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:57 PM

it´s been a while that this topic has last been discussed alot... PGI said (last year i think) that they WOULD eventually do an overhaul to the mech leveling system... but i didnt hear anything since then...

#3 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:24 AM

It would be very nice if they removed the three mech requiement..

Right now, most of my chassis I only use one variant, and use the rest for secondary builds and build experimentation.. this means they have mostly the same omnipods and only a different central torso..

Alltho, in all honesty, I never would have bought three of each if I didn't have to.. I would have bought more different mechs and modules.. not 3 hellbringers..

#4 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:04 AM

yea most people would agree that the "3 mechs requirement" is nothing but a faultly, artificial grind element. And as i mentioned, PGI gave in to that a good while ago... i really hope they come up with an intelligent and intuitive, and most of all, logical skill tree system that doesn´t force you to "learn" how to drive the same mech (not to mention,buy it) with a different loadout over and over again...

but, as mentioned as well, been a lot of silence about it since the last statement ... and that has been a long while ago, although it sounded like a promise rather than a "we´ll think about it"...

Edited by Alex Warden, 09 September 2015 - 07:04 AM.

#5 SkyHammyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 462 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:53 PM

I wholeheartedly agree that a more indepth mech leveling/progression system would be lovely!

However, I yield to the 3 mech leveling rule as it does two things:
A- It generates revenue for PGI. This supports the game.
B- It compels the player to try out different chassis with different hardpoints. In some cases, this player would have missed a beloved chassis/playstyle if they focused on only one.

Edited by SkyHammr, 09 September 2015 - 06:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users