Targeting Is - Rule Of Thumb.

15 replies to this topic

#1 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:58 PM

With the IS pilots all swaggering around in their shiney new Maulers I was wondering about the best approach to neutralise them.

Is it safe to assume that if I see a Mauler thats moving in a spritely manner, that its most likely to sporting an XL and therefore I should aim to pop open their side torso and have a look see?

Would this be the same for all nimble IS mechs?

If an IS mech is plodding along slowly, then is it the legs I should aim for the legs or an arm with weapons?

Many thanks

Edited by Soultraxx, 08 September 2015 - 11:01 PM.

#2 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:01 PM

Depends on the mech, you should have an idea just by the loadout.

But yeah if you see something silly like x4 LBX on a Mauler, its XL, aim for the STs

#3 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:12 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 08 September 2015 - 11:01 PM, said:

Depends on the mech, you should have an idea just by the loadout.

But yeah if you see something silly like x4 LBX on a Mauler, its XL, aim for the STs

Can't fit 4xLB10X and XL on the Mauler, as it's all on the sides

#4 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:22 PM

Rule of thumb, pretty much all IS lights are running XL. You have to be pretty keen to pick up on XL mechs outside of that though.. Unless it's really obvious.
Playing both sides of the ball really helps. You get a better feel for what's what.

#5 Evan20k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 491 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:36 PM

Maulers have a low engine cap, so XLs will run the same speed as their non-XL brothers. How to best attack them depends entirely on their build, but in general you can cut right through the middle if they're not packing x2Gauss+2PPC or x2Gauss+3LL (The only good XL builds imo). The STs got reasonable structure quirks on some of the builds, so cutting through the middle only takes marginally more time than through the STs.

#6 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:15 AM

Thank you for the replies.

As Im not really able to determine what build are using an engine type, would it be safe to assume that "meta" type builds will be running XLs (thus ST targetting) and non "meta" types will being running standards (thus CT targetting)?

Many thanks

I think perhaps, that look at Smurfys is going to be time well spent for me.

#7 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:18 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 08 September 2015 - 11:12 PM, said:

Can't fit 4xLB10X and XL on the Mauler, as it's all on the sides

Good point holy crap that must be a turret.

#8 Evan20k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 491 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:24 AM

View PostSoultraxx, on 09 September 2015 - 12:15 AM, said:

Thank you for the replies.

As Im not really able to determine what build are using an engine type, would it be safe to assume that "meta" type builds will be running XLs (thus ST targetting) and non "meta" types will being running standards (thus CT targetting)?

Not really. The Mauler can comfortably fit a gauss rifle and barely fit two with an STD. Your best bet is to look at their weapons when you get a lock. If you see something outlandish like 2 Gauss Rifles + 14 more tons of weapons, or 4 LRM 15s+large lasers it's fairly safe to assume it's an XL.

#9 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:26 AM

View PostEvan20k, on 09 September 2015 - 12:24 AM, said:

Not really. The Mauler can comfortably fit a gauss rifle and barely fit two with an STD. Your best bet is to look at their weapons when you get a lock. If you see something outlandish like 2 Gauss Rifles + 14 more tons of weapons, or 4 LRM 15s+large lasers it's fairly safe to assume it's an XL.

XL Lurmboats om nom nom

#10 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:33 AM

View PostYokaiko, on 09 September 2015 - 12:26 AM, said:

XL Lurmboats om nom nom

I do a little happy dance in my chair every time I kill some fool piloting an LRM Stalker with XL engines. XL Atlas's bring equal joy.

#11 Cael Rhythyr

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:35 AM

Actually, the majority of IS mechs if you take out their RT you will strip them of the majority of their weapons - and of course, if it has an XL then so much the better. If you don't know, or are unsure, just aim for the RT.

#12 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:50 AM

Most haven't unlocked double Basic and can barely roll damage.
Going for CT is the fastest solution to them for know, facetanked a few mauler last night in my dual UAC5 Enforcer and survived.
Will see how things are over the weekend once most people will have double Basic.

#13 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:56 AM

View PostAH Vulture Vlad, on 09 September 2015 - 12:35 AM, said:

Actually, the majority of IS mechs if you take out their RT you will strip them of the majority of their weapons - and of course, if it has an XL then so much the better. If you don't know, or are unsure, just aim for the RT.

LOL ...hmmm think I know who's smurf you are.

#14 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:01 AM

It's funny to me how basically one of the best "all-round" mechs, and possibly the best LRM mech in the IS stable is quickly beeing reduced to a daka-gimp

The same thing happened to the Timberwolf, only it was turned into a wubber.. something that it was never meant for..

Just a damn shame... but hey, if you'r gonna be bringing just daka, I'll just treat you like I would any other DoubleGauss Jeager..

Oh, and it seems to me that the Mauler might have a relatively big cockpit.. so.. Headhot opportunity?

Edited by Vellron2005, 09 September 2015 - 01:02 AM.

#15 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:10 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 09 September 2015 - 01:01 AM, said:

The same thing happened to the Timberwolf, only it was turned into a wubber.. something that it was never meant for..

Not like the stock prime has 5 lasers on it or anything.......

#16 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:14 AM

View PostYokaiko, on 09 September 2015 - 12:18 AM, said:

Good point holy crap that must be a turret.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...56591dd4ef13764

55.4 kph with 7 tons of ammo (potential for well over 1,000 dmg with any crit luck)

The funny part is, Smurfy bugged out while I was building this, so I saved the loadout to get the link back and finish building it and I hadn't put the engine in yet. Gave me a message "Since this is a battlemech and not a turret, you'll probably want an engine."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users