Town Hall Meeting On Twitch.tv With Russ Bullock - Sept 10Th 5Pm Pdt

259 replies to this topic

#241 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:23 AM

I posted this elsewhere but want to make sure PGI see and reads this. I have been playing BT and computer BT games from pretty much day zero. I remember the confusion and disappointment when the classic mechs became 'unseen'. I hated what HG did to FASA, effectively destroying the BT world. After all these years, I had pretty much gave up on the Unseen. Then all of a sudden Catalyst opened the door. PGI took this and ran with it (at least that's how it seems, I'm sure there's more to it than that).

Nonetheless, PGI has stepped up. Announcing the release of the Marauder, to me the mech that symbolizes BattleTech, is huge. You have done far more than just revitalize the BT franchise, you are bringing back some of it's former glory. Thank you for having the courage to take this step. Thank you for taking me back dozens of years and reminding me of when BT was young. Once you give us the ability to order the marauder, I will be showing my appreciation in more concrete ways. :)

#242 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:30 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 11 September 2015 - 07:16 AM, said:

I guess it's vague on how you interpret it... I guess the next Town hall would be your favourite then? assuming it is the same as this one with more questions answered and less vague?

Like the previous one was much better?

Long answers, short on details.

I want: more details, less chit chat on packs, less terrible questions but more balance wise questions and a clear answer would do the job.

No lame excuses of short time. Think about your playerbase for a second. Clear and crisp information is so important. The roadmaps arent much better. But its better then it was before.

That's all.

Edited by Sarlic, 11 September 2015 - 07:42 AM.

#243 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:42 AM

View PostSarlic, on 11 September 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

Like the previous one was much better?

Long answers, short on details.

More details, less chit chat on packs, less terrible questions but more balance wise questions and a clear answer would do the job.

That's all.

personally I and many others like to know what the next packs are- especially considering the fact each new mech is straining and often closer to our favourites or the odd ones- such as the depletion of front line invasion clan mechs thus IIC's confirmed, or the Unseen confirmed. big news for many and if you saw the chat when they say "maybe they do not want to see the art right now?" it was mainly 5 pages of yes with Paul continuously saying no 3 times.

Long answers for me is okay as not only is it giving insight on the topic but also part of a thought process.

However they are working on cramming more questions- you can't really dictate what a "Crap" question is and someone out there would probably think most of the obvious ballance wise questions are crap, stupid, and not needed. To each there own.

I think most of the ballance debate happens on twitter anyway instead of the town hall.

#244 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:02 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 11 September 2015 - 07:42 AM, said:

personally I and many others like to know what the next packs are- especially considering the fact each new mech is straining and often closer to our favourites or the odd ones- such as the depletion of front line invasion clan mechs thus IIC's confirmed, or the Unseen confirmed. big news for many and if you saw the chat when they say "maybe they do not want to see the art right now?" it was mainly 5 pages of yes with Paul continuously saying no 3 times.

Long answers for me is okay as not only is it giving insight on the topic but also part of a thought process.

However they are working on cramming more questions- you can't really dictate what a "Crap" question is and someone out there would probably think most of the obvious ballance wise questions are crap, stupid, and not needed. To each there own.

I think most of the ballance debate happens on twitter anyway instead of the town hall.

Twitter just makes my head explode. Because if any company's wet dream is to make PR through a cap of 140 characters without being active on the official forums. I was and still am against these 3rd party information.

Not to mention that naming a pack (The IIC for example) and set it up for preorder half year (6 months) prior release is just silly. And it makes my head scratch why he doenst have the time to put more information regarding state of the game in a hour. Because he doesnt want to. Or heck even a day to interact with the playbase is aksked too much.

But packs.. Packs are always a non missing subject on Townhalls. Not that it's particular bad, but i would like to see more information on features, rebalance and more then just crank out a few lines and wrap it up with pretty words with almost zero details.

You see where am i going?

I agree on making your point though. But i am curious what that new format will be and hopefully Townhalls will even improve more in the future.

Edited by Sarlic, 11 September 2015 - 08:51 AM.

#245 Scifi Toughguy

• PipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

View PostDindiat, on 11 September 2015 - 01:38 AM, said:

But... the AC must be mounted above to the center torso, not on side torso (as shown in the picture)!..

It has to be over the side torso for a few reasons. 1) To avoid a lawsuit. By making this one on the side vs over the center helps establish the 30% difference to make it a derivative work as opposed to a direct copy. 2) The way Battletech and by extension MWO works you will never have any big gun like that over a center torso due to the way the internal structures and available slots are distributed. Max you can get is Large Laser or its ilk (or something that only takes 2 slots).

Edited by Scifi Toughguy, 11 September 2015 - 09:41 AM.

#246 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:12 AM

View PostSarlic, on 11 September 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:

Twitter just makes my head explode. Because if any company's wet dream is to make PR through a cap of 140 characters without being active on the official forums. I was and still am against these 3rd party information.

Not to mention that naming a pack and set it up for preorder half year (6 months) prior release is just silly. And it makes my head scratch why he doenst have the time to put more information in a hour. Because he doesnt want to. Or heck even a day to interact with the playbase is aksked too much.

But packs.. Packs are always a non missing subject on Townhalls. Not that it's particular bad, but i would like to see more information on features, rebalance and more then just crank out a few lijes and wrap it up with pretty words with almost zero details.

You see where am i going?

I agree on making your point though. But i am curious what that new format will be and hopefully Townhalls will even improve more in the future.

I do hope it cuts some of the discussion out and leaves talking lengthy answers to the Dev Blogs instead.

I do agree on the twitter part. I do not like twitter or social media like that, But it is the best way the developer can communicate with people as twitter was made for that very reason. for people to communicate to each other. I do agree these guys should go on the forums a lot.

I mean part of the dev blog is "We screwed the redo of terra therma, we have no idea how to fix it at the very momment!" mmeanwhile I already made a post earlier to how it can be done.

For instances some wide valleys (remove some volcanos), expand the map more to one direction thus the 'centre' is off centrerd and thus not immediately the first place for everyone to go. Some Huge lava lakes to fill the area not only for long range combat but a 'short cut' that takes a hit to your leg armour and heat. Large lava lakes that continue for ages that is in some areas the only way to travel, different platforms to the central volcano (make the top more player friendly to use for cover and shooting down into the volcano, add a 2nd set of those platforms and stuff. make the bottom of the vulcano more interesting with the edges having a bit of cover but not many and the ability to shoot out from there. etc) and some volcanic tunnels as well and such- which possibly changed on the map if it's filled of lava or not. etc. As well as adding a 2nd minor volcano like the current major one.

That or the suggestion I made that clan mechs should have 25% of it's quirk to the CT, 25% omnipod set bonus + new quirks, and 50% to the mech (or to some degree like this), which allows making every Ct unique as well as making the timberwolf D good at ER PPC without making the A torso ruin the ballance of low ER PPC arms and make it a trio of death-p-c's.

Or the idea that increasing the heatsinks slightly on sub par non Endo/ FF clan mechs or non Endo or Ferro mechs like the nova a bit to help it a little bit. etc.

Many ideas like these and more often dies in the forum with no one hearing them out. I am sure you have wonderful suggestions but it never gets to the developers attentions.

Hope tina can fix this.

#247 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:00 AM

Is there link to the Townhall meeting? I missed a lot of it and would like to listen to the rest of it.

Finally found it.

Edited by Death Proof, 11 September 2015 - 09:15 AM.

#248 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:54 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 11 September 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

I mean part of the dev blog is "We screwed the redo of terra therma, we have no idea how to fix it at the very momment!" mmeanwhile I already made a post earlier to how it can be done.

Russ straight out said he was hiring a map designer and to send your resume in. Time to step up.

#249 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:34 AM

Great news on the Marauder and the loyalty rewards are much appreciated!

As others have said, I didn't think the Unseen mechs would happen and it takes me back to my tabletop days.

I hope that any big legal battle w/HG can be avoided and PGI sells the hell out of the Marauder (count me in) so other Unseen will be available. My vote is for the Crusader.

#250 Todo Sandybanks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 269 posts
  • Location....

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:24 PM

These mechs should be Pheinox Reinforcements like the wolverine, and griffin.
And they should never come for cbills or MC just like the urbanmechs.
So only loyal pheinox owners would get to acquire them.
To yall who are saying that im a jerk and a hog while you reading this.
Posted Image

#251 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:26 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 11 September 2015 - 09:54 AM, said:

Russ straight out said he was hiring a map designer and to send your resume in. Time to step up.

I would but it looks like he's into coding and stuff.

I'm sorry but I fail with coding on a daily basis on FTL: Faster then Light coding and stuff and the closest I got to artwork is making new ships for the game (top down view btw) like this
Posted Image
As good as it may be- this is just a flat PNG image, not a 3D model, not a whole map, just 1 ship from a top down flat PNG from not really a very good optimised game in terms of visuals. Granted I did make a very mean animation strip for my "PPC" for FTL here in the FTL game art style
Posted Image

But my point being is I am not qualified for the work- I have never even seen a resume before to begin with. I am only full of ideas. but I do not have the skills to execute them- sure I could make a flat PNG map of what I want to happen. But Isn't that what the community already do time and time again?

View PostTodo Ringman, on 11 September 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

These mechs should be Pheinox Reinforcements like the wolverine, and griffin.
And they should never come for cbills or MC just like the urbanmechs.
So only loyal pheinox owners would get to acquire them.
To yall who are saying that im a jerk and a hog while you reading this.
Posted Image

I think they already said something about phoenix mechs but the community already voted no more phoenix - sorry if you are one of the people who voted no and not think about the long term.

Urbanmech is comming out for MC and C-bills btw... and Marauder has what it takes to be the best IS heavy to compete with the timberwolf- lock it away for good and that is literal pay to win.

#252 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:20 PM

So we thinking a pack of "unseen" like a light, med, assault etc, or is Maurauder a stand alone buy?

#253 Scifi Toughguy

• PipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:44 AM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 11 September 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

So we thinking a pack of "unseen" like a light, med, assault etc, or is Maurauder a stand alone buy?

Marauder will be the first and it will be alone, like the urbie. If it does well, the Warhammer is up next.

#254 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:07 AM

Is there an youtube/twitch upload to watch yet?
I'd like to view it, but I never find the archive on the ngng twitch channel if there is one ...

#255 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:21 PM

So, on the not-special-geomerty Marauder artwork, the name "K. Beale" appears below the cockpit glass.

Who is K. Beale? :huh:

(Also, the outside-side of the left arm has "Magna Hellstar" printed on it.)

#256 Gemini Bull

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 203 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRegina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:23 PM

when i heard the Warhammer will be coming, i just felt so happy. my favorite mech is coming to mwo!!!!!! im happy about the Marauder too but, my loyalty is to the Warhammer. :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

#257 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:25 PM

View PostSarlic, on 11 September 2015 - 05:58 AM, said:

Very dissappointing Townhall to be honest.

Well as you have said, it depends on what you want out of them etc etc. More detail and less fluff would be nice, as would specific concrete information on key changes (and not talking maps and stuff here, I mean the real nitty gritty stuff).

That said, the Marauder announcement in itself was huge news - especially PGI's commitment to ensure it happens. You can tell from the language used that a lot of care and thought went into making this a reality. I take my hat off to that.

It was a relatively light hearted and fun town hall but & much of the fun was driven by the chat and what not, some good banter going on. And the Riot that broke out when Russ accidentally muffed up the connection was entertaining.

But that aside, I can see your point of view on detail, excuses and what not. I think they are getting better though. This was definitely one of the better Town Halls though (not just because of the Marauder..).

Hopefully PGI picks up on some of this feedback at least..

#258 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:17 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 11 September 2015 - 04:26 PM, said:

I would but it looks like he's into coding and stuff.

I'm sorry but I fail with coding on a daily basis on FTL: Faster then Light coding and stuff and the closest I got to artwork is making new ships for the game (top down view btw) like this
Posted Image
As good as it may be- this is just a flat PNG image, not a 3D model, not a whole map, just 1 ship from a top down flat PNG from not really a very good optimised game in terms of visuals. Granted I did make a very mean animation strip for my "PPC" for FTL here in the FTL game art style
Posted Image

But my point being is I am not qualified for the work- I have never even seen a resume before to begin with. I am only full of ideas. but I do not have the skills to execute them- sure I could make a flat PNG map of what I want to happen. But Isn't that what the community already do time and time again?

Oh, I love FTL! This ship and weapon look very good. Did you made a mod or something?

#259 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:33 AM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 11 September 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

It is a standalone. These are the "Macross" Unseen mechs:

Light
- Wasp (20)
- Stinger (20)
- Valkyrie (30)

Medium
- Phoenix Hawk (45)

Heavy
- Rifleman (60)
- Crusader (65)
- Archer (70)
- Warhammer (70) -> hinted
- Marauder (75) -> announced

Assault
- Longbow (85)
[- Marauder II (100)]

As you can see, there are lots of heavy Unseens. I hope PGI releases the standalone Warhammer, Archer and Crusader following the Marauder.
And after that, PGI can release a pack (Project Phoenix II) with this: light (Wasp), medium (Phoenix Hawk), heavy (Rifleman) and Assault (Longbow). The 2 remaining light mechs could come in a "Reinforcement" pack.

EDIT: or, after the standalone Marauder and Warhammer, PGI could release a "big" pack featuring the 8 remaining Macross Unseens. Tier I (Wasp and Stinger), Tier II (Valkyrie and Phoenix Hawk), Tier III (Rifleman and Crusader) and Tier IV (Archer and Longbow).

PS: there is also the possibility that the Unseen IIC mechs could be added later, enough to complete a IIC Origins trilogy.

Edited by Odanan, 14 September 2015 - 10:42 AM.

#260 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:09 PM

View PostOdanan, on 14 September 2015 - 08:17 AM, said:

Oh, I love FTL! This ship and weapon look very good. Did you made a mod or something?

I do however I will leave the rest of the details to a PM, I do not want to be to far of topic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users