Adding Combined Arms To Mwo To Enhance Play! And How It Could Work!

30 replies to this topic

#21 Osteo2001

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:48 AM

View PostMadcap72, on 10 September 2015 - 05:24 PM, said:

Been goofing around with MWLL... it's like living in the past.

Ditto... Love the game, the mechanics, the attention to BT universe, but hate the fact that the servers only have 1 or 2 folks on when I'm on.

#22 Pocket_Aces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:32 AM

Elementals could be a consumable that Clanners can equip. You target a mech and they attack that mech only for a few seconds then run off. To balance it, IS has a squadron of VTOLs to call in, they only target one mech for a few seconds then fly off.

Whether they can be targeted or destroyed is depending on what the game engine can handle.

#23 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:08 AM

well this is more units at the beginning of a match and less a consumable,

#24 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:09 PM

With the New Command Wheel this Idea Could really become a Reality in MWO,

#25 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:17 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 10 September 2015 - 12:06 AM, said:

Would be amusing, but I think overtime it would turn into World of 31st century Tanks, as people would come to realize the power in being 6 feet tall, armored like a beast and sniping from a hull down position 600m away....would expose all the issues with mechs though and why they really arent viable.

If tanks took damage like they do in TT, you'd see considerably different reactions.

A tank is tremendously more critprone than a 'Mech, even with armor remaining. Things like LB-Xs rapidly mobility kill a tank, freeze it's turret, and so on. You think Streakcrows are nasty to lights? They'd reduce a hovertank to a immobilized lump of metal in 1-2 salvos. It can be stunned, weapons wrecked, and so on before so much as a single internal is hit. For that matter, LRMs would be brutal to one in this game. Especially given you're low to the ground and can't elevate your guns so much.

VTOLs have minimal (in MWO terms, 4 points) armor on their rotors. Again, spray one a bit and it actually goes down faster than a UAV.

Might make more of a role for spread damage weapons at least.

#26 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:18 PM

I always figured that if they add combined arms elements, it'd be faction play first (as I think quick-play will eventually be rolled into faction play / replaced by solaris) and it'd be a lot like the mobs in a MOBA. Warthunder did this fairly well, I'd love to see tanks and VTOLs in the bigger maps.

#27 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:19 PM

View PostSlepnir, on 10 September 2015 - 03:49 PM, said:

I would love it if they immersed us in the rest of the BT universe but I want the player option to choose to drop in a mech, tank or vtol-finally the jagger could do it's AA job.

I would love to make mechjocks cry with a challenger X, or enyo strike tank, however also tracks cannot traverse water, so they would be limited to bridges on river city, and while hovers ignore water they cannot drive through trees,

The look and general feel of the mechs is BT. That is pretty much what you will get.

I suck it up for StarWars and WW2 games, but I actually stay away from BT lore because it makes me better at playing this game. Online games have their own lore and basic mechanics and that has to balanced with BT lore to keep enough folks for MM.

#28 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:35 PM

View PostGryphorim, on 26 June 2016 - 07:18 PM, said:

I always figured that if they add combined arms elements, it'd be faction play first (as I think quick-play will eventually be rolled into faction play / replaced by solaris) and it'd be a lot like the mobs in a MOBA. Warthunder did this fairly well, I'd love to see tanks and VTOLs in the bigger maps.

Id Love for them to Make FP like a MOBA, where Cannon Fodder Helo's and Tanks move to Fill the Areas,
and your Mechs move with them as Hero Units to Hold off other Hero Units and Be Awesome,

#29 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:25 PM

In general, would probably be great for faction warfare games (with different maps than used now). Those are supposed to be planetary invasions after all. Maybe even as a consumable that calls 2 vehicles to the field. Two sets can be active at one time for a lance of enemy vehicles. When the pair is reduced to one operation vehicle a new "slot" opens like artillery works. The remaining vehicle gloms to the newly arriving pair's orders. Vehicles that get disarmed but not destroyed (face it, people will quickly realize that leaving two disarmed enemy vehicles running around robs the enemy of a chance to launch a new set) will leave the map, allowing a new set to be brought in.

#30 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:31 PM

This would be great of course.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users