• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,984 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:58 AM

MASC IV or another way to kill yourself

Guys I can’t stop laughing

I bought a Executioner about 5 days ago playing around with my new hunk of junk

Someone on TS mentioned it has MASC (so I had to go find out what that meant)

I just took it on the testing ground and if you hold down the MASC long enough
Your Mech blows up

I busted out laughing

Let’s see someone shots my leg off I can still walk but MASC makes the Mech blow up

Why did they not make it so the Mech becomes immobilized? (As in can’t move)

Is there something in the actuators that’s explosive?

Is there any way we can remove this MASC

Yeah yeah I will get slammed for this thread

After all people will say learn to play/drive or whatever

Did you know the jets fighters have what they call a “break X” that appears on the HUD
When it is outside of missile range and missiles won’t fire when you don’t have lock-on
Just a few examples of engineering controls on weapons systems

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:03 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 10 September 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

Because that version (aka TT's version) was horrible in terms of playing experience.

MASC in MWO gives you a nice usage bar to show you when you get penalties and when you don't, so it's easy to only use MASC until you reach 75% and then turn it back off until it's ready again.

Alternatively, if you're in a situation you know you can't win (e.g. surrounded by enemy team, last one alive) you can go in out in style via MASC-seppuku.

#3 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:23 AM

lol

#4 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:55 AM

Did you know the jets fighters have what they call a “break X” that appears on the HUD
When it is outside of missile range and missiles won’t fire when you don’t have lock-on

Uh, no, when you have master arm set to "on" in a fighter jet the missiles WILL fire (in U.S. models) whether you have something locked or not. You hold the pickle button and they are flying off the rails. Heaters (Sidewinders) fire immediately upon button press if they are uncaged and will seek out the strongest heat source if you don't pre-determine it with the weapons fire control while slammers such as the AMRAAM (who uses sparrows anymore?) have a half-second to one-second delay while data is downloaded to the seeker head. If you release the button during this time they won't fire. If you don't... and have no target selected through the FCR (fire control radar), they will launch maddog right off the rail and that means the first radar target they acquire in the air--they're going for.

Is this done often? NO! Those are dangerous scenarios. But they /will/ fire. In fact, slammers will fire beyond their max range for a few logical reasons...

1. Target vector--might change, might close--jets burning up the sky at 600+ knots close distance fast.
2. High angle release--a fighter pilot might choose to pitch their nose up above the horizon to lob the missile farther using physics™ to get extra distance out of the shot.

Remember... Master Arm On is serious business.

Edited by Mister Blastman, 10 September 2015 - 07:57 AM.

#5 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:08 AM

http://www.sarna.net...ignal_Circuitry

MASC accelerates the Signal Circuitry for your mechs myomer strands. In TT missing your roll just meant the mech was immobilized...in this game since we dont play the RNG game much your legs take dmg as you run MASC above the red line. Thus resulting in them blowing up....

I dont see the issue, also if you are legged in this game MASC can still be turned on but wont do anything to make you go faster....just die quicker.

But thinking its funny to have you mech blowup i dont get....what the difference if you are being shot with lasers (which only generate heat mind you) and blow up like there was a war head on your laser beam or if you do dmg to your legs and they blow up.

I think people often forget this is a video game...MASC is amazing (on the EXE) and if you only use it to blow off your legs you are using it very, very wrong.

#6 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:20 AM

Your Mech blows up

I busted out laughing

Let’s see someone shots my leg off I can still walk but MASC makes the Mech blow up

MASC is a equipment, that is specifically aimed to circumvent structurual limitations of 'mechs myomers. An analogy with modern fire control systems is conceptually invalid.

It is true, that taking damage to the 'mech Legs alone is ill-concieved. In ideal circumstances, MASC should just damage whatever component's internal structure you're moving at the time of overdrive, be it CT when twisting/yawing, STs when pitching arms, Arms when turning them and Legs only if moving. But if you're busting laughing on this, you should probably see a doctor. Using your own analogy, if you're flying a jet fighter and decided to make a deep dive to evade incoming fire or w/e, but unable to pitch back in time, you'll hit the ground like a brick, and no automatic system will help you make it, nether it is going to catapult you out on its own.

There's always safe limits you can override in any vehicles for a risk of critical failure. MASC is just that - an ability to overdrive your myomers, damaging them to the point at which they cannot carry your mech anymore.

#7 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,984 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:10 PM

Don’t worry I know the nature of forums no matter what you say someone will say the opposite

I could list off a dozen examples of engineering controls on weapons systems but the results are the same you say left I say right
If I was to say we have pins we install in ejection seats to keep them from firing someone would shoot back yeah but they can still go off

Wouldn’t be better if mechs get destroyed from fighting as in shooting at each other
Isn’t that the whole reason for the game?

#8 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:38 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 10 September 2015 - 12:10 PM, said:

Don’t worry I know the nature of forums no matter what you say someone will say the opposite

I could list off a dozen examples of engineering controls on weapons systems but the results are the same you say left I say right
If I was to say we have pins we install in ejection seats to keep them from firing someone would shoot back yeah but they can still go off

Wouldn’t be better if mechs get destroyed from fighting as in shooting at each other
Isn’t that the whole reason for the game?

Don't try to make logical sense out of a video game based on an 80s tabletop game about giant mechanized mobile weapons that still have glass covered cockpits....and where targeting computers weigh upwards of a ton.

#9 CancersCincar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:41 PM

Your Mech blows up
I busted out laughing

From Sarna: "Myomer Accelerator Signal Circuitry is a piece of equipment that allows a BattleMech to move twice its walking speed. However, actuators were not built for this kind of stress, and prolonged usage of MASC systems can lock up the actuators in a 'Mech, and cause it to be immobilized."

So obviously you've read that, you mentioned the immobilizing, but really, do we want MASC to make you unable to move if you push it too far? No, no you don't because standing still being unable to move isn't fun. In MWO, it's basically a death sentence, and a very negative one at that.

Also, your 'mech does not blow up. The internal structure of your legs become destroyed, causing your 'mech to stop functioning. This happens with every other 'mech when you destroy the internal structure of its legs. In lore, 'mechs that have their legs destroyed can shoot from the ground (though obviously this might be pretty hard if your cockpit is facing the ground), and in fact they really only stop working once their reactors become too damaged to properly work or they don't have a pilot, but in MWO they just stop working because no one really wants to have that experience, even if it's immersive.

MASC has lots of benefits. If you can't utilize it... then don't play the Executioner. Or just ignore it. Or, if you want to try and rationalize it, say the actuators cant handle the stress and they break, or they lock up while your 'mech is in mid-step and it falls on its face.

Edited by CancersCincar, 10 September 2015 - 12:43 PM.

#10 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:43 PM

Your Mech blows up

I busted out laughing

Masc is PGI's answer to a cheat code

you explode and don't get sent to jail

#11 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:00 PM

and where targeting computers weigh upwards of a ton.

It's not just a computer, but all the extra bits needed to make the entire weapons suite work with it properly- more refined and robust upgrades to every weapon on the 'Mech, improved stabilization, etc. etc.

#12 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

Yep, now I have an eject button for PUG matches :V

#13 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:11 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 10 September 2015 - 12:10 PM, said:

I could list off a dozen examples of engineering controls on weapons systems but the results are the same you say left I say right If I was to say we have pins we install in ejection seats to keep them from firing someone would shoot back yeah but they can still go off

When MASC will become the weapon system, then maybe people will see your point clearer. But just along your lines do you laugh when a car crashes due to blown tire? Relatively same thing.

Edited by pyrocomp, 10 September 2015 - 01:11 PM.

#14 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,984 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:21 PM

From Sarna: "Myomer Accelerator Signal Circuitry is a piece of equipment that allows a BattleMech to move twice its walking speed. However, actuators were not built for this kind of stress, and prolonged usage of MASC systems can lock up the actuators in a 'Mech, and cause it to be immobilized."

So obviously you've read that, you mentioned the immobilizing, but really, do we want MASC to make you unable to move if you push it too far? No, no you don't because standing still being unable to move isn't fun. In MWO, it's basically a death sentence, and a very negative one at that.

Also, your 'Mech does not blow up. The internal structure of your legs become destroyed, causing your 'Mech to stop functioning. This happens with every other 'Mech when you destroy the internal structure of its legs. In lore, 'mechs that have their legs destroyed can shoot from the ground (though obviously this might be pretty hard if your cockpit is facing the ground), and in fact they really only stop working once their reactors become too damaged to properly work or they don't have a pilot, but in MWO they just stop working because no one really wants to have that experience, even if it's immersive.

MASC has lots of benefits. If you can't utilize it... then don't play the Executioner. Or just ignore it. Or, if you want to try and rationalize it, say the actuators can’t handle the stress and they break, or they lock up while your 'Mech is in mid-step and it falls on its face.

No never read that heck I only started reading my Mech Warrior 2 book lol

When MASC will become the weapon system, then maybe people will see your point clearer. But just along your lines do you laugh when a car crashes due to blown tire? Relatively same thing.

Many many years in the military causes me to laugh a lot of stuff
It’s an engineering control lol
:)

Edited by Davegt27, 12 September 2015 - 01:38 AM.

#15 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:59 PM

And incidentally, MASC in TT can literally tear the legs off a 'Mech in the case of a catastrophic failure. In MWO terms, that's a kill. :)

#16 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:13 PM

MASC still runs and damages you when not moving or in the air. I think this shouldn't happen.

The real problem with MASC is:
Charges up too fast
Regenerates too slow

Because of this the only time to use it is to pick up your speed when you're slowed by terrain that shouldn't slow you in the first place.

MASC as is doesn't work on the SHC and gives a little boost to the EXE but the cost in tonnage isn't worth it for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users