Is Anything Truly New Expected On The 22Nd?

42 replies to this topic

#1 Riverboat Sam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:27 AM

I got into this game about a year ago and dropped stupid money on not one, not two, but three clan mech packs. I played a fair bit. Enough to get about half of my mechs to elite status. Then it just got so - BORING. I mean, how much team death match can someone take?

I got excited when Russ promised Community Warfare was going to fix it all. Formed a themed team of Lao mechs with some friends and played for a while. BORING. Just multi-team-deathmatch. SSDD.

I saw a YouTube about PGI testing NPC mechs. Any truth to that? Any chance this game will actually grow beyond endless team death match any time in the foreseeable future? Any chance of a true campaign mode? Any chance of a custom scenario designer (you know, like every AAA title had back in the good 'ole days)?

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:28 AM

22nd is supposed to bring a "Big rebalance", nobody knows what it entails yet.
Also the Black Knight is coming, so that's something.

#3 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:29 AM

Short: No.

Short: Rebalance.

Can't make shorter then this.

Edited by Sarlic, 10 September 2015 - 10:29 AM.

#4 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:31 AM

But you'll get to see how good/bad you truly are as well.

That's the one thing I am looking forward to.

#5 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:34 AM

Going to be a long time before its more than just death matches.

Only way I have fun anymore is playing with the people on the Marik ts.

We get 12 people on and start doing crazy stuff. Maybe a 12:man lrm team or we fight in a weird locations no pugs ever would or we talk about pizza for 15 minutes when playing ha-ha.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 10 September 2015 - 10:35 AM.

#6 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:38 AM

I'm waitin for the pub test, to be true. Expectations... I try to keep them low, actually.

The thing is, if russ don't announce the PTS today, it will be a really short time between test and live patch. In other words, we may test it before, but don't expect any changes from our feedback. Sad truth about the PTS so far. :(

#7 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:43 AM

Yeah if they arent currently compiling and putting it up on the PTS for an announcement that its going live on the Townhall...

I wouldnt expect much other than if we find actual bugs, there being any changes. Theres not enough time. And theyve never in their existence had something completed ("finished" is another story), which they said it was a week ago, and not released shortly thereafter.

They arent a company that plays much close to the chest. They act like they have in the past, but its always been a pretty lackluster "special surprise".

Expectations are pretty low for the 'Great Rebalance' and theres not much info about. Hopefully we'll hear more tonight.

#8 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:45 AM

Mechs will now have their own sensor range depending on their tonnage and their equipment used (Example BAP)

ECM will now be cut down to 90M from 180M for ECM coverage, and the quirk system is to include new buffs.

Please Ignore the second sentence, as I may be in the wrong.

View PostSarlic, on 10 September 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

Short: No.

Short: Rebalance.

Can't make shorter then this.

As I've said, mechs will now have a sensor range.

to get more into how this will work I'll try to explain to my best.

For example, say you are in a Light mech, say, a Spider. The Spider can target mechs on first sight 80% at 600M, 45% at 850, and so on.

Let's say you're in a Atlas now. The Atlas can target mechs on first sight 80% at 400M, 45% at 600M, and so on.

Mechs are now going to be more specialized in roles; Assaults will no longer be able to target enemies from 600+ meters away unless teammate has the enemy targeted themselves, Lights will be a invaluable resource in battle for targeting information, mediums will be heavier scouts with a lesser range but still a reasonable foe, and Heavies will be the Staple mech for medium range fights.

Edited by Scout Derek, 10 September 2015 - 10:52 AM.

#9 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

Where did this get leaked?

"For example, say you are in a Light mech, say, a Spider. The Spider can target mechs on first sight 80% at 600M, 45% at 850, and so on."

What does the 80% mean? 80% of the info, 80% of the mechs, 80% of the time you can target, 80% chance to target?

#10 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:52 AM

If this is true:

Mechs are now going to be more specialized in roles; Assaults will no longer be able to target enemies from 600+ meters away unless teammate has the enemy targeted themselves, Lights will be a invaluable resource in battle for targeting information, mediums will be heavier scouts with a lesser range but still a reasonable foe, and Heavies will be the Staple mech for medium range fights.

Then the Stompmaster reached a level of 9000.

Because it's going to take a hella timespan to get used to for everyone.

Edited by Sarlic, 10 September 2015 - 10:52 AM.

#11 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

View PostKraftySOT, on 10 September 2015 - 10:51 AM, said:

"For example, say you are in a Light mech, say, a Spider. The Spider can target mechs on first sight 80% at 600M, 45% at 850, and so on."

What does the 80% mean? 80% of the info, 80% of the mechs, 80% of the time you can target, 80% chance to target?

Yeah, I also want to know the sauce on this, and what the %'s mean...

#12 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

View Post627, on 10 September 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

The thing is, if russ don't announce the PTS today, it will be a really short time between test and live patch. In other words, we may test it before, but don't expect any changes from our feedback. Sad truth about the PTS so far. :(

Or it could just mean that the rebalance doesn't get pushed on the 22nd if things don't go well.

Last town hall he said that there was going to be extensive PTS on this new system and it won't be released unless its ready.

If its not ready and feedback says its not, one can hope that they hold off on releasing it the 22nd until it does what they want it to do.

#13 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:53 AM

And the sensor range thing was a player suggestion two years ago....

lol that other threads predictions are all coming true.

View PostSpiralFace, on 10 September 2015 - 10:52 AM, said:

Or it could just mean that the rebalance doesn't get pushed on the 22nd if things don't go well.

Last town hall he said that there was going to be extensive PTS on this new system and it won't be released unless its ready.

If its not ready and feedback says its not, one can hope that they hold off on releasing it the 22nd until it does what they want it to do.

When has anything PGI has ever done, waited until it was ready and based itself on feedback.

They said it was done a week ago. (doesnt mean it wasnt started yesterday though lol). If thats true and they were "internally testing" (bugs only), theyre ear marked for the 22nd. Which gives us a chance to find bugs and thats about it.

Theyre either really confident of what theyve done, or theyre betting it takes is a month or more to resettle the meta, OR its a really really minor 'rebalance' and they know it doesnt matter what we fiddle over.

Edited by KraftySOT, 10 September 2015 - 10:55 AM.

#14 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:55 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 10 September 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

It was mentioned in a few other threads and in ECM change, I could be in error about the ECM change.

However, the sensor range is indeed going to be implemented.

From the September 22nd Roadmap:

"Mech rebalance - Not to be confused with Table top battle value but think of it as an all inclusive new balance pass on the game. In short it includes putting every mech in the game into a new document. Analyzing all aspects of that mech from it's geometry shape, placement of hard points, number of hard points and assigning a value. The resulting value is then used in a balancing matrix which focuses on 4 key properties of a 'Mech; firepower, mobility, protection and sensors. With this information we work on quirks and other aspects of the mechs to attempt to achieve the best balance possible. We expect to have a public test or two with the full pass in early September."

#15 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:55 AM

View PostRiverboat Sam, on 10 September 2015 - 10:27 AM, said:

I got into this game about a year ago and dropped stupid money on not one, not two, but three clan mech packs. I played a fair bit. Enough to get about half of my mechs to elite status. Then it just got so - BORING. I mean, how much team death match can someone take?

I got excited when Russ promised Community Warfare was going to fix it all. Formed a themed team of Lao mechs with some friends and played for a while. BORING. Just multi-team-deathmatch. SSDD.

I saw a YouTube about PGI testing NPC mechs. Any truth to that? Any chance this game will actually grow beyond endless team death match any time in the foreseeable future? Any chance of a true campaign mode? Any chance of a custom scenario designer (you know, like every AAA title had back in the good 'ole days)?

There are other map modes besides TDM. Just because practically everyone chooses to play every map mode like it's TDM doesn't mean the alternate objectives aren't there. That said, I get where you're coming from. I'd like to see some more sophisticated objectives/map modes.

Right now, it's really just best to play this game casually. It's just too shallow right now to support anything else and you'll get burnt out. They are working on making the game better, however slowly, which is why I don't have much problem sinking money into it.

This is just one of the consequences of crowdfunded development. If they were backed by a big name publisher, we wouldn't have gotten the arena games they put out essentially as a revenue stream to keep the lights on while they worked towards putting out the game I think most of us would like to see. They'd be working on it for years behind closed doors before we even got a peek.

It's an ambitious project for any studio. Just think about it, they've got to put together a galaxy and fill it up with content. Anyway, that's my take. Probably not the answer you were hoping for.

#16 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:56 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 10 September 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

It was mentioned in a few other threads and in ECM change, I could be in error about the ECM change.

"Mech rebalance - Not to be confused with Table top battle value but think of it as an all inclusive new balance pass on the game. In short it includes putting every mech in the game into a new document. Analyzing all aspects of that mech from it's geometry shape, placement of hard points, number of hard points and assigning a value. The resulting value is then used in a balancing matrix which focuses on 4 key properties of a 'Mech; firepower, mobility, protection and sensors. With this information we work on quirks and other aspects of the mechs to attempt to achieve the best balance possible. We expect to have a public test or two with the full pass in early September."

That paragraph however doesn't mention any specific changes like tonnage-based sensor ranges. Is there another PGI source?

#17 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

I forgot to add why I added ECM change. The reason why I believe ECM changes may be coming is this little part from the roadmap:

"There are several other smaller items we are working on that will slip into either of the September patches, when things solidify further I will update this post."

#18 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

Ok so youre just interpreting their lawyer speak.

My interpretation is that theyve done some minor things here and there with this BV theyve internally created, and theyre going to player test it, oh and theres a minor surprise (based on other information from Sean Lang), which might be your sensor schtick, but it might not be...either.

Theyve fabricated a metric to make changes to mechs, and those changes may or may not be completed ever before the sun expands, and may or may not be as extensive as you expect.

Edited by KraftySOT, 10 September 2015 - 10:59 AM.

#19 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:05 AM

PGIs MO would be, if theres a sensor change like what you describe, to have created a sensor quirk, and applied those to mechs. Which I could see that.

That 80% thing youre mentioning, I could see them creating a +80% or -80% sensor quirk to lights to assaults, or assaults down to lights, graduated, respectively.

Which would be cool dont get me wrong. It has issues readily apparent, but it would at least change gameplay for a while. Then again a huge number of us never press R anyways.

#20 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:06 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 10 September 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

Mechs will now have their own sensor range depending on their tonnage and their equipment used (Example BAP) ECM will now be cut down to 90M from 180M for ECM coverage, and the quirk system is to include new buffs. Please Ignore the second sentence, as I may be in the wrong. As I've said, mechs will now have a sensor range. to get more into how this will work I'll try to explain to my best. For example, say you are in a Light mech, say, a Spider. The Spider can target mechs on first sight 80% at 600M, 45% at 850, and so on. Let's say you're in a Atlas now. The Atlas can target mechs on first sight 80% at 400M, 45% at 600M, and so on. Mechs are now going to be more specialized in roles; Assaults will no longer be able to target enemies from 600+ meters away unless teammate has the enemy targeted themselves, Lights will be a invaluable resource in battle for targeting information, mediums will be heavier scouts with a lesser range but still a reasonable foe, and Heavies will be the Staple mech for medium range fights.

Good thing I don't press R... :ph34r:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users