Permanent Faction Choice

14 replies to this topic

#1 Der Hesse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 545 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:52 AM

Well, im not really a new player but there is still something i am not sure to understand completely after reading everything about community warfare.

I´m thinking about taking a permanent contract for house kurita since i am kurita as long as i play this game and dont feel the need to change that so far. But i want to stay competetive for endgame and i´m not sure if a permanent contract could cause problems with that.

As far as i understood there shouldn´t be real advantages from having ranks in multiple factions. Especially none that influence gameplay since its only roleplay ranks and nothing with perks for specific mechs, loadouts etc.

Is that correct or did i misunderand something?

Also i would like to know if there will be the possibility to change a permanent contract if the rules will later change and there will be a real advantage for having loyality points or ranks in different factions.I think this last one is more a question for the devs then for other players.

I really would like to be a permanent member of kurita, but i dont want to mess up my whole account since i payed a lot of money for it.

ty

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:06 AM

As long as this feature isn't implemented, your question is probably better placed in the official feedback thread:
http://mwomercs.com/...dec-2-feedback/

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:31 AM

last I heard permanent means permanent, but there may be a way to break a contract for a big hit to your loyalty points

If you permanently join with Kurita this means you will be restricted to only using IS Mechs in CW, that is all

From what I have read the current plan (subject to change) is that the longer contract you take the more loyalty points you will earn per match, a permanent contract will bring them in quicker than any other length of contract, if you switch faction to another faction and take missions against Kurita you will lose some of the Kurita points.

You should not gain a major advantage from loyalty points rather you would get titles and faction relevant cosmetic items, discounts on faction relevant equipment have also been discussed but are far from confirmed

#4 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:03 AM

Since the CW is going to be labeled as "Beta," you should just take a shorter contract until everyone, including PGI, understands how things are going to play out. You can always go permanent later if you want.

Also, if you were to join a unit, you would be automatically switched to that faction. The only penalty for switching factions is LP. How much is unclear. It's also unclear if joining a unit is subject to the breaking-a-contract-penalty. That's actually 2 really good questions you can ask in the thead that egomane linked.

#5 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:39 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 04 December 2014 - 07:03 AM, said:

Since the CW is going to be labeled as "Beta," you should just take a shorter contract until everyone, including PGI, understands how things are going to play out. You can always go permanent later if you want.

Also, if you were to join a unit, you would be automatically switched to that faction. The only penalty for switching factions is LP. How much is unclear. It's also unclear if joining a unit is subject to the breaking-a-contract-penalty. That's actually 2 really good questions you can ask in the thead that egomane linked.

Paul just posted an update, no news directly to the OPs question. Did say that a 7 day contract gives a 15% LP boost, and a permanent contract is plus 50%. That said, you could just renew the monthly contract and just RP it as a permanent contract.

#6 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:44 AM

Do we have to pick a faction or can we do mercenary contracts?

#7 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostVirgil Greyson, on 04 December 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

Do we have to pick a faction or can we do mercenary contracts?

In a sense, we're all going to be mercenaries, but we're all going to have to accept a contract for one particular house or clan. If you want to be a "mercenary" you'll probably just choose very short-term contracts (like 7 days) and switch your faction allegiance often.

But there will be nothing like a "one-game" contract for Mercenaries. You have to sign up to fight for a house or clan for one week at the least.

Edited by DEMAX51, 04 December 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#8 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 04 December 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

In a sense, we're all going to be mercenaries, but we're all going to have to accept a contract for one particular house or clan. If you want to be a "mercenary" you'll probably just choose very short-term contracts (like 7 days) and switch your faction allegiance often.

But there will be nothing like a "one-game" contract for Mercenaries. You have to sign up to fight for a house or clan for one week at the least.

Cool thanks for the explanation. I'm guessing your rewards will increase the longer you are loyal?

#9 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostVirgil Greyson, on 04 December 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

Cool thanks for the explanation. I'm guessing your rewards will increase the longer you are loyal?

Yes, the longer your contract, the higher per cent bonus to your Loyalty Points earnings you'll receive. From Paul's CW update yesterday:

There have been numerous questions about the purpose of taking longer contracts with Factions. The varying length of contracts provide Loyalty Point reward bonuses. What this means is that every time you are awarded LP, you will recieve an extra bonus amount of LP that is directly impacted by the length of contract you have signed up with a Faction. The bonus levels are:
7-Day Contrate = 0% bonus.
14-Day Contract = 15% bonus.
28-Day Contract = 30% bonus.
Permanent alignment = 50% bonus.
This means that if you earn 100 LP after a match, and you have selected a 14-Day contract with House Kurita, you will recieve 100+15=115 LP for that match.

Edited by DEMAX51, 04 December 2014 - 12:20 PM.

#10 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

If I was ruling on it, I might keep it as is.

Consider that to get the max loyalty bonus you need to be the most loyal. That means Permanent loyalty even if your faction's best equipment gets the nerf bat. That means Permanent loyalty even if your faction gets beat back to a corner of the galaxy map and is rendered irrelevant for endgame. That means Permanent loyalty even if the loyalty rewards are useless to you.

It sounds like you really love the Kurita brand, but not at the expense of some other things. So in my opinion you really belong on the next tier below Permanent. Call it "loyal but not crazy". Although I think if Perm is 50%, the next tier down should be 35% not 30.

Edit - it looks like if you join a team, your house alignment will depend on how the team as a whole contracts out?

Edited by Fenrisulvyn, 04 December 2014 - 09:39 PM.

#11 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:01 PM

View PostDer Hesse, on 04 December 2014 - 01:52 AM, said:

Well, im not really a new player but there is still something i am not sure to understand completely after reading everything about community warfare.

I´m thinking about taking a permanent contract for house kurita since i am kurita as long as i play this game and dont feel the need to change that so far. But i want to stay competetive for endgame and i´m not sure if a permanent contract could cause problems with that.

I bolded the sticky part of your post. Basically there's really no way to be competitive in the endgame without joining a unit. Yes you can still participate as a single pilot dropping with other groups, but honestly, without the support of an organized unit I don't think you'll ever really be able to say you're competitive. When you join a unit you will take on that unit's affiliation, so unless you find a unit of all die-hard Kurita/DCMS loyalists, you'll have to be open to possibly taking contracts with other houses.

#12 MechWarrior5152251

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:36 AM

Don't do it. I tried with an alt and there seems to be no way to get out of "permanent"...

#13 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:51 AM

When they changed from Beta 1 to Beta 2 I had to sign a new contract as I had been Clan Wolf. I joined Wolf again but for 28 days. I then broke that contract and joined Clan Jade Falcon. I currently have 6 more days but I think I will sign a 28 extension when it is time.

#14 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:28 AM

You can break a permanent contract. It costs $1.5 million Cbills to do it.

I also have been DCMS for as long as I've ever been associated with the Battletech universe. Until now. I'd been in a permanent Kurita contract. Then I joined an FWL loyalist unit, and had to break ties with Kurita-sama for the first time ever to be part of the unit. After you pay the fine, you have to wait 3 days to clear the faction.

#15 MechWarrior5152251

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:54 AM

View PostChados, on 23 September 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

You can break a permanent contract. It costs $1.5 million Cbills to do it.

I also have been DCMS for as long as I've ever been associated with the Battletech universe. Until now. I'd been in a permanent Kurita contract. Then I joined an FWL loyalist unit, and had to break ties with Kurita-sama for the first time ever to be part of the unit. After you pay the fine, you have to wait 3 days to clear the faction.

I dont see that option on my alt account...

NVM somehow I am not even in a faction anymore.. and I know I didn't pay cbills to break it...

Edited by MechWarrior5152251, 23 September 2015 - 12:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users