Predict New Meta From First Pass Of New Balance.

25 replies to this topic

#1 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

So right now with the first pass of the balance changes what do you predict the meta to be?

Seems to be clan range still is the main thing to build around from the little bit I have seen so far. What do you guys think?

#2 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:02 PM

It's going to be the exact same thing it was before. PPFLD and big as you can get pulse laser vomit. There is absolutely nothing about this that encourages change and for most of the quirking it actually promotes it since your targeting and movement are going to be slower so why would you even consider anything else?

#3 Telmasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:03 PM

It's not "the" meta, it's "how many".

From what I'm seeing, I think it's a good chance we can do what Russ described in the townhall: role warfare, with the "meta" being about which mechs are specifically good at doing a certain thing, rather than which mechs are better than all of the rest.

So, like you pointed out, Clan Mechs may very well be suited to being built around range.

Whereas many IS Mechs (wow, those Atlas structure quirks) are very well suited to being built around close combat.

That's a very loose description, but bottom line I would expect to see much more variety.

As for those concerned with "comp team" metas, I bet you will see the 'Mechs that are most specialized - it may very well be that you'll see comp teams succeed with a variety of mechs that all perform similar roles. (So no more pure Thunderbolt spam, perhaps)

#4 guy0320

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:03 PM

Timberwolfs, stormcrows, and anything with clan weapons

#5 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:50 PM

View Postguy0320, on 11 September 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

Timberwolfs, stormcrows, and anything with clan weapons

Thats what it looks like for now unless you can some how force a brawl. But on the bigger and bigger maps that is getting hard to do.

#6 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:53 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 11 September 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

It's not "the" meta, it's "how many".

From what I'm seeing, I think it's a good chance we can do what Russ described in the townhall: role warfare, with the "meta" being about which mechs are specifically good at doing a certain thing, rather than which mechs are better than all of the rest.

So, like you pointed out, Clan Mechs may very well be suited to being built around range.

Whereas many IS Mechs (wow, those Atlas structure quirks) are very well suited to being built around close combat.

That's a very loose description, but bottom line I would expect to see much more variety.

As for those concerned with "comp team" metas, I bet you will see the 'Mechs that are most specialized - it may very well be that you'll see comp teams succeed with a variety of mechs that all perform similar roles. (So no more pure Thunderbolt spam, perhaps)

What happens when the IS mechs, pigeon holed into certain roles, have to face the extended range fire power of clan mechs? In the end the meta doesn't change. Long range with as much firepower as you can use.

#7 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:56 PM

Hurrah for dual guass and lpl!

#8 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:03 PM

Clan mechs won.

#9 Col Jaime Wolf

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:14 PM

zombie atlas ftw.

must carry HURDUR!

#10 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:14 PM

Clans will now be utterly unchallenged since IS weapon quirks were meant to combat the power creep that they introduced and said IS weapon quirks have been obliterated in return for utterly worthless sensor quirks.

Protip: Lasers and gauss rifles don't need to target jack **** to core out your CT.

#11 Midax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:18 PM

No one will play med or light mechs. The big guys will see the little guys with their MK-1 eyeball and kill them before any information warfare can happen.

#12 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:23 PM

Meta would remain wholly unchanged by this.

Top tier mechs would all still be clan, all the same mechs they are now, and the same weapon systems will be king.

The only difference is, with the new system, there will be literally zero reason to take anything other than the meta unless you just really enjoy the challenge.

EDIT: Oh, and any IS mechs currently considered part of the meta would in the new system also be relegated to hardmode.

Edited by Kodyn, 11 September 2015 - 08:23 PM.

#13 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:38 PM

Posted Image

Would you look at this, nothing has changed! In fact, it's greatly superior to the live server!

2LPL, Gauss

#14 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:39 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 11 September 2015 - 08:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

Would you look at this, nothing has changed! In fact, it's greatly superior to the live server!

2LPL, Gauss

The Wubhawk 2.0 is an honorable mention too:

Posted Image

#15 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:45 PM

Russ and Paul have said that they are working on weapon balance, and soon after will work on Weapon Quirks, :)

#16 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 11 September 2015 - 08:45 PM, said:

Russ and Paul have said that they are working on weapon balance, and soon after will work on Weapon Quirks, :)

I hope their idea of weapon balance doesn't look anything remotely like what we just saw on the PTS tonight...

#17 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:53 PM

The PTS meta is the same as the regular game meta, minus all the meta IS mechs.

For most of the good Clan builds, you can use the omnipods in a way to avoid all the negative quirks and just get positive quirks:

Posted Image
Posted Image

So the best Clan mechs effectively got buffed. And the IS mechs all nerfed. I know they know the PTS wouldn't have Clan vs. IS balance, but this thread was asking for what PTS meta was so....

#18 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:37 PM

I think it is probably safe to assume that if this is their idea of balancing out the mechs before accounting for the weapons (but accounting for hardpoints/potential damage output) - what is coming along for weapon balancing is going to be something truly laughable.

Even for something to just put on the test server for a dry run, this is a pretty pathetic attempt. The fact they claim to have spent better than a month to come up with this should worry everyone from the founders to the free players.

#19 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:44 PM

So go post in the individual 'Mech threads about the omnipods that aren't equivalent to the other options, instead of casting "Doom and Gloom" nonsense everywhere and making like it's the end of the world because your pretty Power Ranger Super Quirks are all gone.

The attitude some of y'all are carrying towards this is just disgusting.

Edited by Telmasa, 11 September 2015 - 09:45 PM.

#20 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:54 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 11 September 2015 - 09:44 PM, said:

So go post in the individual 'Mech threads about the omnipods that aren't equivalent to the other options, instead of casting "Doom and Gloom" nonsense everywhere and making like it's the end of the world because your pretty Power Ranger Super Quirks are all gone.

The attitude some of y'all are carrying towards this is just disgusting.

So is white-knighting a laughably bad system.

We aren't hating on it because of the loss of 50% quirks...hell, i don't even own one of the IS mechs carrying any of those.

But this new system is a joke. I'm truly glad they're working on something, but this really isn't what it needs to be, and it's obvious to a lot of people.

It's not about slinging mud at PGI for the sake of it, trust me. We just see flaws, and are pointing them out, as asked by the devs.

If you think it's fine, then great, that's your opinion, but just saying that everyone who disagrees with you is overly negative or whatever doesn't bolster your argument, nor negate ours.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users