As7-D

11 replies to this topic

#1 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:07 PM

This might be the only mech that actually got the right changes in the balance pass. It's the Atlas we've been asking for.

#2 MandyB

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:24 PM

View PostFate 6, on 11 September 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

This might be the only mech that actually got the right changes in the balance pass. It's the Atlas we've been asking for.

Cant say this one enough, the other variants need love, specially the K

#3 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:31 PM

I'm finding it still goes down pretty easy. Oddly enough on my founders D I seem to be losing the missile side more often the ballistic slot.

#4 Evan20k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 491 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:33 PM

I still don't feel threatened by Atlai, and I'm playing mechs that have to fight them inside their range. They just feel bigger and spongier, which is great for score padding, but not actually dangerous.

#5 Akuma

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:15 PM

Many mechs are receiving boosts to structure - this is a problem across all chassis, but particularly in the Atlas. Mechs such as the Atlas (or the RA on a CN9, for example) should get armor boosts, not structure. An Atlas is typically undergunned compared to other assaults, and letting the armor get stripped away simply results in the internal components (read: weapons) being destroyed, exacerbating the problem. Now I'm an Atlas with less weapons than before, and I've been turned into a walking bag of hitpoints. Big deal, I soak damage or get ignored because I can no longer effectively combat the enemy.

An Atlas should get armor boosts that effectively do the same thing as structure boosts (make the location harder to destroy) but will also protect internal components, meaning those boosts will be worthwhile. An Atlas with armor boosts will take a beating, as it always has in Battletech if you care about that, allowing it to tank more damage while still remaining combat worthy.

Balance that survivability in other areas - most AS7 are painfully slow, are tall and wide, have relatively less powerful sensor packages (except the DDC, rightfully so), and are somewhat undergunned compared to other assaults. An Atlas should not be fighting maneuver warfare - it should show up and claim its space on the field and dare another mech to come take it away. Armor boosts rather than structure should be how that is reflected in game. I would take existing structure boosts, cut them in half, and give those points to armor. My AS7-D runs 3x LPL and an AC20, with 74 RT armor. That's not much, considering I can lose the RT and associated autocannon in two salvos from another assault mech or select heavy mech, at which point I am no longer a threat regardless of how much structure I have left.

#6 zaku potion

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSOUTH TX

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:35 AM

Halving the structure on the D and replacing it with armor is a really good idea. +Armor could also beef up the other variants that need help(D-DC).

#7 Akuma

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:10 AM

I feel like the D-DC is the one variant that could really be something different - the other Atlas chassis are more or less the same, but the D-DC would be a dedicated command platform with strong sensor support. Increase the default detection radius from 500 to 800, increase targeting speed and retention, hell give it a boost to magnification - anything that differentiates it from the other variants and makes taking one a real choice as opposed to taking one of the others that do basically the same thing.

#8 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:17 AM

I disagree (not on everything)

It's sure in the right direction. But it needs less structure quirks, but more and or better armor value's.

You can give it as much structure quirks you want, but if the armor is still terrible light and easily to break through, it will still disable your weapons with ease. And you just Zombie along with the excessive structure quirks and disabled weapons.

That's the difference.

Edited by Sarlic, 12 September 2015 - 01:24 AM.

#9 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:22 AM

View PostSarlic, on 12 September 2015 - 01:17 AM, said:

I disagree (not on everything)

It's sure in the right direction. But it needs less structure quirks, but more and or better armor value's.

You can give it as much structure quirks you want, but if the armor is still terrible light and easily to break through, it will still disable your weapons with ease. And you just Zombie along with the excessive structure quirks and disabled weapons.

That's the difference.

Couldn't agree more. Atlas needs a thick shell, not a thick skeleton. Armor quirks are whats needed here to made the mech a tank.

#10 Galorin

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:56 AM

Still waiting to get in a couple more matches with the D, but I have to say...

It needs armor more than it needs structure. I've been able to soak tons of damage, spread it around really well, but I might as well not. My armor disappears quickly, and then my weapons. Would not be surprised to see an Atlas with exposed, damaged but intact side torsos and CT, but with no weapons left.

Actually... Here's another thought. If my weapons were given a 100% health boost, then it would work with the structure boost. It may not be a bright idea but at least it'd keep the D as a threat for longer.

#11 Detriitus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 105 posts
  • LocationA long time ago in a galaxy far less explored

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:23 PM

Shooting at one of these in testing grounds made me feel very bad until I realized that my shots are hitting but don't really show effect. Tough cookie, this one.

#12 Ikester

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 91 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:18 PM

The Atlas (any variant) should be feared. In its current state I believe it to be at the lower tiers of all assault Mechs. It should lead the charge and take plenty of damage while lights, mediums and heavies do their work. Please give it more survive-ability. I believe armor is the way to go. Have a good one :)

Now, which Mech shall I take down to the Bikini Mech Wash today? ummm?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users