Pts Semi-Abandoned

24 replies to this topic

#21 KraftySOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:11 PM

Yeah clearly were going to have to organize a private match and test.

Theres not 24 people with the right 3/3/3/3 combination to create a game.

And no one at PGI thinks this is a "balance pass". Were just testing the sensor quirks atm. And we need to provide data and metrics in the subforums for all these mechs.

Which means...were going to have to take out Vindicators and Badders and figure out how to make them not suck wind.

#22 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:38 PM

View PostKraftySOT, on 12 September 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

Yeah clearly were going to have to organize a private match and test.

Theres not 24 people with the right 3/3/3/3 combination to create a game.

And no one at PGI thinks this is a "balance pass". Were just testing the sensor quirks atm. And we need to provide data and metrics in the subforums for all these mechs.

Which means...were going to have to take out Vindicators and Badders and figure out how to make them not suck wind.

I dunno Krafty, for them to have put this level of time and effort into it, I feel like they must for some reason be pretty confident with it. I'm afraid they really do think that they did good work here, and it misses so many marks by so far, it's kinda scary.

If they only intend this as the barest of barebones first attempts, and are leaving out quirks they fully intend to have later, then they need to be up-front and transparent about it, because right now, we're all left assuming the computer they got their numbers from had a meltdown somewhere along the process...

Edited by Kodyn, 12 September 2015 - 02:39 PM.

#23 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:50 PM

Or, theyve just been simply "hyping" how much time and effort has gone into it. When in reality it probably took them 100 hours to make the quirks and sensor system and delete the old ones, maybe 8 hours of internal testing to make sure it didnt blow up when you loaded mechs in that now had to many modules for slots that no longer exist. Now we have it.

Theres no way this took much time or effort.

And yes, they do need to be transparent about it, and they arent. Though its "inferred" from the massive forum bloat we now have with all the individual subforums for each mech.

That certainly indicates were supposed to do most of their "ideas" for them, and theyre going to implement them.

Mike Frost seemed fairly clear that was what was going to happen, though im sure he couldnt just come out and say that infront of Paul and still have the same working relationship.

Paul is on a different freaking planet from the rest of the world. He has no idea what his engineers are doing, or are capable of, or what their limits are, or what balance even is. This seems to be entirely up to us.

All they did was create a new sensor system. They could have done that, and left all the quirks in place, and billed it as a "new feature" instead of a Play Test. But they went with the play test because im pretty sure most of employees at PGI realize Paul is insane, and that people who actually play the game, have a good idea about how to balance it. Balance was good, it actually was (ignoring the weapons that dont work and the mechs that are terribad), and this sensor change is very cool. Its just chrome. But its still cool. It doesnt fundamentally alter the game, but adds depth and flavor.

But it (balance) surely wasnt as good as it could be, and those weapons and mechs needed help.

Theres no way anyone anywhere other than Paul, thinks that just going back to the day before the Quirkening is a good idea, or that these sensor changes alone, make stupidly bad mechs like the Ice Ferret, Kintaro, Vindicator, or Badder any better than they were, or give them something interesting and rewarding to do besides shooting other gundams.

Being able to target stuff REALLY fast in a Badder, does not make your team any better, or makes you have more fun, or be more useful on the field.

Edited by KraftySOT, 12 September 2015 - 02:54 PM.

#24 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:58 PM

Heck being the only guy on the field who can tell what everyone on the other teams armor is right when they target them, and them not being able to do anything about it because their mech is terrible, is actually more insulting, than it is useful.

What are you going to do...spam VOIP with constant updates about who is into internals and where? Im already tired of Puggers screaming "KILO!" in my ears. I dont need our Raven pilot constantly pounding my ear drums with "information warfare".

I dont care. I aim for legs on certain mechs. CTS on all other mechs. I generally go multiple matches without ever hitting 'R' anyways.

This entire sensor thing makes zero difference in the grand scheme of things.

Its super cool dont get me wrong. But its not a balancing mechanism.

#25 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:10 PM

If you ever want to know how far out on another freaking planet Paul is:

"While the overall structure of the Quirk system had the right frame of mind, the implementation and values were straying too far from a properly balanced playing field." - Paul

:facepalm:

Theres something seriously wrong with that man. Like, actually physically wrong with him. He needs to go get an MRI and make sure he doesnt have a brain tumor.

So in essence what he's saying is...that before quirks balance was better, and that quirks like the LB rate of fire on the Orion, were making Orions over powered and making the entire balance worse.

Despite the fact that the day before the Quirkening, there was the Holy Trinity, and then everything else falling somewhere below those 3 mechs (with Wubshees and Jenners and such being close runners up, but no where near as good), and the day AFTER the Quirkening, Thunderbolts, Stalkers, and Firestarters were suddenly great. And mechs like the Grid Iron became "ok at best", and "Great against other bads, noobs and low ELOers". NOT TO MENTION that the best mechs in the game, WERENT Quirked. Namely the Holy Trinity. The Doomcrow, Timbergod, and Whale, did not get a 50% LBX recycle rate bonus.

The Orion got one, so it could compete with the Timbergod, which it STILL COULDNT DO even if it was a 100% quirk. Im not convinced a 300% quirk will make an LBX and some medium lasers cut through a CT faster than an unquirked TW.

Instead of basically 5 choices for mechs. We had about 10.

If this balance pass is even remotely like a finished product, all we did was go back to 5 choices, instead of the 10 we had.

Even Russ mentioned this over, and over, and over, and over again. The point of The Quirkening, was to try and make more mechs viable. Even one more mech viable than the 5 or so that were before it happened. That was achieved.

But, you have TwitchTV chatters and Twitter yokels, literally throwing linguistic vomit at him, that the Grid Iron and Victor are super over powered and need to be stopped...so that must be true right?

He's got problems. Real problems. And we generally suffer those problems more than he does.

Mike seemed TO ME, to be adamant about not letting Paul do whatever it is that he wants, but I feel like they need our help (this probably will just be wasted effort on our part, but you gotta try I guess) to really hammer home that no, Paul, you cant sensor quirk your way to game balance, you have no idea what youre doing, please go drop with MS or some competitive group, and ask them wtf is going on.

Hopefully people arent so put off by this really "lackluster" test that they dont get any information from us, because no one participated in the test. Because thats DEFINITELY a surefire way to see on the live server, whats on the PTS right now, and watch the shitshow unfold.

If we have any love for this game at all, we surely cant let them put 90% of the mechs back on the box, especially after they finally unwrapped a few of them over the last year.

Paul REFUSES to understand (its beyond a choice, im seriously worried he has a physical mental ailment) what alot of people have been saying this entire time.

If everyone played like the top 1% youd have 3 ACHs, 3 DoomCrows, 3 Timberwolves, and 3 Direwolves, in every, single, match. The only reason youd see anything else, is people goofing off, or playing private matches on stock mech mondays.

People ENJOY being a Cicada, so they take out a Cicada, they do some damage, maybe get a kill or two, one of those kills is Paul playing at the office "for testing purposes only", and he thinks "everything is fine". There is absolutely no way on gods green earth that a Cicada is a match for a Doomcrow, or that if you want to be in "the best" that you would EVER drop a medium that wasnt a Doomcrow.

Edited by KraftySOT, 12 September 2015 - 03:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users