77 replies to this topic

#41 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:15 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 13 September 2015 - 05:00 PM, said:

All of that, qft.

It's not that we don't want balancing and don't see value in the ideas. With the right approach to weapon rebalance I think it could be the best thing mwo has ever done.

We are just saying that without the weapon rebalance first the current content changes are meaningless and indecipherable. It's like eating a handful of mixed spices and asking us how the 7 course meal with those on it will taste. I dunno. Gritty? Spicy? We don't even know what the courses are.

It's a shooter. We need the shooty stuff done first.

Agreed. And trying to balance the sensors without balancing anything else is just silly. What can we learn from this? Mech A detects things faster than Mech B? Sure - that data says that. Is it "fast enough?" Who knows - because Mech A is missing its weapon quirks so Mech B killed it on sight. Meanwhile, Mech C has -2000% torso twist, Mech D lost all of its armor buffs for some reason, Mech E got a structural buff, Mech T - which was a meta-mech - got buffed in general, and on it goes.

The data is meaningless and the test results from a balance perspective are meaningless. The only two things that matter are:
- Trying to balance mechs one piece at a time doesn't work since ALL the pieces together need to be balanced
- Changing how every mech performs 2 years into a game is a great way to lose customers.

#42 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 06:50 PM

We need to stop worrying about the obvious one-offs like 2000% stuff, that's being fixed shortly.

The goal is to refine it down to useful stuff to apply to the next PTS pass. I like the sensor and mobility changes in concept. I think it's a good idea and I'd much rather that than weapon quirks. We just need weapons balanced or at least IS/Clan split so I can better identify performance data on the mobility/structure/sensor changes.

#43 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:00 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 13 September 2015 - 04:33 PM, said:

Completely off topic but a part of the field game play, remove anything on the UI that isnt part of the SIM like the letter designation of enemy targets. The automatic letter designation of targets isnt cool. This is an idea I seen recently, not mine, but I like the direction of SIM only on the UI.

Might as well remove those kill counts too at the top. I'm in a war, not an arena (well, at least until Solaris comes).

Edited by Mystere, 13 September 2015 - 07:00 PM.

#44 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:11 PM

View PostMystere, on 13 September 2015 - 07:00 PM, said:

Might as well remove those kill counts too at the top. I'm in a war, not an arena (well, at least until Solaris comes).

its the Future so its possible that in the Future those Designations would exist to aid combat commands,
in the air force today normal radar will mark jets(MIG1 MIG2 ect), its not that uncommon actually,

#45 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:44 PM

So Russ already responded.

"@russ_bullock Can you confirm weapon quirks in live won't be removed until weapon rebalance is done?"

"@MischiefSC yes of course - no guarantee even anything in the PTS will actually go live even- very early in testing"

Tears aside everyone, let's step back from raging nuclear armegeddon and actually look at the PTS tests for what they are.
Back on track, the concepts are good. I'd strongly like to balance weapons first but if nothing else just splitting IS from Clans for testing mobility/targeting/et al would be good so I can adequately equate performance difference.

#46 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:45 PM

PGI was using no weapon quirks for a reason.

They need data to compare the effect of the infotech quirks against the unquirked data from before the quirkening. Then using this data PGI can see how much the infotech and structure quirks filled the gaps between the different mechs. Then they should do something to address the differences between clan XL, endo, ferro, and the IS equivalents and see how much those changes close the gap. Then using the combined data then they can focus on balancing IS and Clan weapons tech so as to minimize the number and extent of weapons quirks.

Personally I'm a fan of this kind of methodical data collection.

#47 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:49 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 13 September 2015 - 07:45 PM, said:

PGI was using no weapon quirks for a reason.

They need data to compare the effect of the infotech quirks against the unquirked data from before the quirkening. Then using this data PGI can see how much the infotech and structure quirks filled the gaps between the different mechs. Then they should do something to address the differences between clan XL, endo, ferro, and the IS equivalents and see how much those changes close the gap. Then using the combined data then they can focus on balancing IS and Clan weapons tech so as to minimize the number and extent of weapons quirks.

Personally I'm a fan of this kind of methodical data collection.

I agree in concept. Problem is that with quirks gone balance is gone with it, so mixed IS/Clan drops muddle performance.

#48 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:56 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 13 September 2015 - 07:49 PM, said:

I agree in concept. Problem is that with quirks gone balance is gone with it, so mixed IS/Clan drops muddle performance.

Hmm... while clan vs IS is important and seeing the effects of these quirks are important for guiding the overall balance since clans and IS can fight each other in CW they should probably do a couple of IS only and clanner only days on the PTS to collect good data on those conflicts as well.

#49 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:01 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 12 September 2015 - 04:10 PM, said:

Play CW. If you're IS fighting Clans you generally play 30-60% of the match never getting any targeting info at all. You should be focusing legs or CT; if you're not and your team isn't then no magic dorito is likely to help you.

And this is why the entire Infowar system that seems like it is a 'big change' really does very little except hurt new/bad players and make LRMs and all but the largest SSRMs pointless. The fact that you can't get a lock on a mech standing in the open for several seconds, but you can keep raining LRMs for 7-9 seconds after a mech has gotten behind cover is so completely contrary to fun gameplay it's just ridiculous.

#50 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:18 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 13 September 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

Hmm... while clan vs IS is important and seeing the effects of these quirks are important for guiding the overall balance since clans and IS can fight each other in CW they should probably do a couple of IS only and clanner only days on the PTS to collect good data on those conflicts as well.

That's been my suggestion. In the end though... we need to do the weapon balance first. It's the biggest impact. Think of it like turning a dial. Weapon balancing is big movements, mobility less so, durability less than that, sensors very tiny movements. You want to dial in from biggest to smallest movements. Any fine balance we do with these small movements is prone to get swung out of balance again with weapon balance.

Just bite the bullet and get it done now.

View PostDavers, on 13 September 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

And this is why the entire Infowar system that seems like it is a 'big change' really does very little except hurt new/bad players and make LRMs and all but the largest SSRMs pointless. The fact that you can't get a lock on a mech standing in the open for several seconds, but you can keep raining LRMs for 7-9 seconds after a mech has gotten behind cover is so completely contrary to fun gameplay it's just ridiculous.

So the concept (which we really don't see here yet) is that without proper infowar team setup you're going to have a hell of a time getting locks and paperdolls.

My sincere hope, my dream situation, is that there will be mech components (not modules) that take space and tonnage but do something like auto-lock every target within LoS and share that with all allies in X range. Stuff to block Radar Derp and Seismic. In the same context as ECM, it would be proper ECM and ECCM and Infowar components that could be put into mechs to make these tools function far better. For example the ECCM component when stacked with TAG removes all ECM functionality, derp, seismic from the target and if you can hold TAG on them for 7 seconds every single one of your teammates will get target data in only 1 or 2 seconds whenever they return to LoS, for any teammate - they are 'scanned and locked into memory'.

See what I mean? That's stuff that could make IW work and be worth some effort to mount and deploy and have a real impact on the fight.

This would also have to stack with a weapon balance. I'd include with that making LRMs largely direct fire with a secondary indirect fire mode that can be used on people being TAGed or NARCed. Combined with far faster LRMs and tighter spread, even without Artemis. Artemis not changing spread but increasing their ability to change direction on indirect fire and small speed buff to direct fire.

Make sense? IW can work. I'm not willing to write it off. It just needs to be a lot more than sensor nerfs/buffs.

#51 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:24 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 13 September 2015 - 08:18 PM, said:

So the concept (which we really don't see here yet) is that without proper infowar team setup you're going to have a hell of a time getting locks and paperdolls.

My point is that infowar doesn't matter. Long time getting a paperdoll to show up? Negated by dead teammate saying 'I shot that mech, he has a weak RT'. The meta is not about getting locks. It's direct fire damage. The whole infowar system is just a nerf to new players who need doritos to even know where to move on the map, and guided missiles. For infowar to mean ANYTHING it has to be more than paperdolls and target locks.

My gods man, you are talking like the people in CB that were convinced that there was a whole other wonderful game hidden just a few builds ahead that we just didnt see yet!

Edited by Davers, 13 September 2015 - 08:25 PM.

#52 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:47 PM

View PostDavers, on 13 September 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

I have two solutions in mind for this:
  • make TAG invisible or subject to atmospheric conditions
  • remove Betty's missile warning
Of course, LRMs are still going to need a good and sneaky spotter.

Edit: Faster LRM speed should also help.

Edited by Mystere, 13 September 2015 - 08:53 PM.

#53 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:02 PM

View PostDavers, on 13 September 2015 - 08:24 PM, said:

My point is that infowar doesn't matter. Long time getting a paperdoll to show up? Negated by dead teammate saying 'I shot that mech, he has a weak RT'. The meta is not about getting locks. It's direct fire damage. The whole infowar system is just a nerf to new players who need doritos to even know where to move on the map, and guided missiles. For infowar to mean ANYTHING it has to be more than paperdolls and target locks.

My gods man, you are talking like the people in CB that were convinced that there was a whole other wonderful game hidden just a few builds ahead that we just didnt see yet!

No, you and I are saying the same thing.

I'm just saying that the current reduction in sensor range and effectiveness is a good start. It needs to happen for anything useful to show up. Also any sort of 'IW' stuff to be useful it needs to be just tacked on to combat performance. You can'thave a 'dedicated scout' because scouting is useful for about 3 minutes. Then you need a mech that can fight.

#54 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:23 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 13 September 2015 - 09:02 PM, said:

No, you and I are saying the same thing.

I'm just saying that the current reduction in sensor range and effectiveness is a good start. It needs to happen for anything useful to show up. Also any sort of 'IW' stuff to be useful it needs to be just tacked on to combat performance. You can'thave a 'dedicated scout' because scouting is useful for about 3 minutes. Then you need a mech that can fight.

I want to kill the word 'scout' since that has come to mean 'light mech with crappy weapon load that hides and presses R'. I want to use Recon mechs.

And I want Recon mechs to be able to drop minefields, and to mark hidden minefields so other mechs with minesweepers can clear them. I want them to send out ghost sensor images. I want them to plant underground seismic sensors and sensor extending buoys. I want infowar to be IMPORTANT.

And I realize that I will never see it because it doesn't fit with what PGI wants and the maps and gamemodes and even match time limits we have. Not to mention players who don't want there to be a need for scouting and can we just meet in the middle and fight so I can keep up my Cbill/hour ratio please?

#55 Elbrun

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:54 PM

While I can sympathize with wanting recon mech's that do fun things, this is the Battletech/MechWarrior universe, in which minefields are vehicle/man planted, as are sensor pods/bouys. It isn't until late into the clan invasion that SWARM missiles, lrm deployable minefields, and other things even became possible, roughly 3060-3075. As it is, the Inner Sphere is STILL relearning the lostech of 2750, which is the basis of the Clan's ridiculously overpowered tech. 150+ years of basically uninterrupted weapons tech R&D compared to the IS's loss of all but the most basic tech that survived the massive destruction of not one, but 3 succession wars.

What I want is ALL armor/structure/weapon quirks removed entirely. Leave quirks to deal with heat management, sensors, and agility/maneuverability.

Mech's are NOT infantry, they are more than simple vehicles, they can do things no vehicle can. They are part psychological warfare tool, part tank, part power armor gone massive.

The biggest mistake PGI made was putting this game into the timeframe of the clan invasion, when they probably should have set it in 3035 and gone forward 2-3 'in game years' per real year. Adding in lostech a piece at a time, and getting things right before dumping the clan mess into everyone's lap. ECM has been broken from day one, quirks don't balance anything (they patch issues not fix them), and in the end it comes down to figuring out the best way to fix things.

Edited by Elbrun, 13 September 2015 - 10:55 PM.

#56 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:13 PM

Recon is a game that rewards herding and damage above all things.

That should go over well in the solo queue where they don't even balance ECM......

#57 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:21 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 12 September 2015 - 02:33 PM, said:

The problem still comes back to 'better to balance weapons than use quirks'.

I'd rather quirks be movement/armor specific than weapon specific and weapon balance be better. That seems to be the gist of what Paul was saying. The problem is that we need a weapon balance before we can effectively balance the other stuff IMO.

You can never balance weapons in this game, they are all to different, and used in to many groups and differing numbers. And not to mention different variants, and such.. To me that is why the quirks system is actually darn good. But it did go to far on certain mechs, making them to much of a one trick pony.

To me now the key can be, adding the other layers of depth. Boosting armor and structure, bringing in the sensors.. to me that is the way to counter the ECM, besides an all around ECM nerf. Like when moving the ECM only covers yourself.. that would completely end the ECM stack, and let one BAP or Tag cancel your targeted mech. A huge change that would really go a long way to balancing it.

They can also add another layer on the quirks, Bonus ECM cancel range for BAP.. Some mechs would be the ECM kings, others the cancel kings.. I can see this as a nice Chess match.

Over all i can't wait to get in and start messing around with different mechs/variants.

View PostElbrun, on 13 September 2015 - 10:54 PM, said:

While I can sympathize with wanting recon mech's that do fun things, this is the Battletech/MechWarrior universe, in which minefields are vehicle/man planted, as are sensor pods/bouys. It isn't until late into the clan invasion that SWARM missiles, lrm deployable minefields, and other things even became possible, roughly 3060-3075. As it is, the Inner Sphere is STILL relearning the lostech of 2750, which is the basis of the Clan's ridiculously overpowered tech. 150+ years of basically uninterrupted weapons tech R&D compared to the IS's loss of all but the most basic tech that survived the massive destruction of not one, but 3 succession wars.

What I want is ALL armor/structure/weapon quirks removed entirely. Leave quirks to deal with heat management, sensors, and agility/maneuverability.

Mech's are NOT infantry, they are more than simple vehicles, they can do things no vehicle can. They are part psychological warfare tool, part tank, part power armor gone massive.

The biggest mistake PGI made was putting this game into the timeframe of the clan invasion, when they probably should have set it in 3035 and gone forward 2-3 'in game years' per real year. Adding in lostech a piece at a time, and getting things right before dumping the clan mess into everyone's lap. ECM has been broken from day one, quirks don't balance anything (they patch issues not fix them), and in the end it comes down to figuring out the best way to fix things.

To me this is an issue.. You have the players that are so hard core battle tech lore.. and others that just want a game set in the BT universe basically keeping with the Idea of mech play. I love the campians, but never got into Pnp or books, so honestly lore in the vid games has always been someone lacking right?

I just want a great playing game.. But i do see nothing wrong with structure or armor quirks, as why not? I can see being able to layer heavier armor on a piece of the mech, or beefing up structure.

If you have a good base, small tweaks like quirks are a great idea..

But you are right about one thing, Right now weapons are out of balance in the sense that It's all about peak and poke.. Long range weapons need longer cool downs to make getting into brawl range more important. Big stompy robots blasting it out point blank, not just sniping like you are shooting a man with no helm.

LRM's also could use some tweaking, but a lot of that can be done with sensor bonuses, and lock speeds. ECM balancing and Radar lock hold times are also a factor.. Radar dep and ECM shouldn't just nulify a heavy weapon system. Imagine if there was some sorta instant armor button to nulify an AC20, people would be crying foul. But LRM's are seen as a weapon you don't need to aim or have skill, people just say they are for noobs..

But this is mech warrior, and LRM's are part of lore, and thus should be viable weapons at all play levels.

Edited by JC Daxion, 13 September 2015 - 11:30 PM.

#58 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:28 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 13 September 2015 - 11:21 PM, said:

You can never balance weapons in this game, they are all to different, and used in to many groups and differing numbers. And not to mention different variants, and such.. To me that is why the quirks system is actually darn good. But it did go to far on certain mechs, making them to much of a one trick pony.

To me now the key can be, adding the other layers of depth. Boosting armor and structure, bringing in the sensors.. to me that is the way to counter the ECM, besides an all around ECM nerf. Like when moving the ECM only covers yourself.. that would completely end the ECM stack, and let one BAP or Tag cancel your targeted mech. A huge change that would really go a long way to balancing it.

They can also add another layer on the quirks, Bonus ECM cancel range for BAP.. Some mechs would be the ECM kings, others the cancel kings.. I can see this as a nice Chess match.

Over all i can't wait to get in and start messing around with different mechs/variants.

So weapons can be and are balanced. In every game ever made. Balancing weapons is part of making a game. The reason there is a problem is that IS and Clan weapons are not balanced.

I'm all for the other quirk options, that's not a bad thing.

#59 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:10 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 13 September 2015 - 08:18 PM, said:

That's been my suggestion. In the end though... we need to do the weapon balance first. It's the biggest impact. Think of it like turning a dial. Weapon balancing is big movements, mobility less so, durability less than that, sensors very tiny movements. You want to dial in from biggest to smallest movements. Any fine balance we do with these small movements is prone to get swung out of balance again with weapon balance.

Just bite the bullet and get it done now.

My sincere hope, my dream situation, is that there will be mech components (not modules) that take space and tonnage but do something like auto-lock every target within LoS and share that with all allies in X range. Stuff to block Radar Derp and Seismic. In the same context as ECM, it would be proper ECM and ECCM and Infowar components that could be put into mechs to make these tools function far better. For example the ECCM component when stacked with TAG removes all ECM functionality, derp, seismic from the target and if you can hold TAG on them for 7 seconds every single one of your teammates will get target data in only 1 or 2 seconds whenever they return to LoS, for any teammate - they are 'scanned and locked into memory'.

See what I mean? That's stuff that could make IW work and be worth some effort to mount and deploy and have a real impact on the fight.

This would also have to stack with a weapon balance. I'd include with that making LRMs largely direct fire with a secondary indirect fire mode that can be used on people being TAGed or NARCed. Combined with far faster LRMs and tighter spread, even without Artemis. Artemis not changing spread but increasing their ability to change direction on indirect fire and small speed buff to direct fire.

Make sense? IW can work. I'm not willing to write it off. It just needs to be a lot more than sensor nerfs/buffs.

I would attempt the think along these lines excpet PGI has actively nerfed "role" type payouts ever since they put them in.

So why would anyway take a scout JUST to ensure less money?

You literally get more money for getting shot at near your team than you do for NARINC or UAVs, and they don't cost 4 tons and 40,000 c-bills.

Edited by Yokaiko, 14 September 2015 - 12:12 AM.

#60 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:39 AM

View PostFate 6, on 13 September 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

^
From the balance perspective of premade groups, sensors meant nothing already except for LRMs (and QQ is the only team that ever uses them - we won't if this pass goes through though). Recognizing chassis from sight was the important thing, though the removal of weapon quirks makes it harder to predict loadouts based on chassis.

It's impossible to tell how IS mechs are right now because their weapons are so far behind the Clans. We can look at Clan vs Clan and IS vs IS but that doesn't mean anything in the overall game aside from those very limited CW matchups. As an example, the Grid Iron which was basically a balanced mech everything considered (low alpha, high DPS, high risk, high reward) is now a pretty much pointless mech. Tons of HP on the RT doesn't make up for that fact that you have basically no DPS or alpha power - something anyone who tries to play a non-GI HBK with Guass on live server well knows. Against IS mechs the PTS GI with Guass is alright (it's actually pretty bad) but against Clans it's a joke. The SCR with Gauss is pretty much better in every way.

So, how can we actually test this balance pass?

thats not only an IS vs Clan thingy.

Look If I take a 12 CERML NVA I will get significant quirk penalties. Because I am now using 2x6E arms.
When I use a 8 CERML NVA I can use the 2 3xE arms .

Tbh, this already had balance in its current state on live, because a 12 CERML NVA is a striker with bad sustained firepower, while the 8CERML is less striking but more sustained firepower. It hardly needed any further balance. If anything at all a tiny difference in mobility so that a Less laser config prefers 3E arms over 6E arms and done.

With the new changes this lacks even more balance. Because 12 CERML are way too hot already. Ontop you now get even more mobility penalties choosing this config. And this is where PGI failed to truly analyse what "firepower" means. Firepower is not the amount of Damage peak a mech has, For Energy weapons, and bigger AC's this involves cooling as well. because cooling = ressource for pew pew.

So on the NVA table PGI could have given thie Nova "roles" as balance. 6E arms should get some acceleration and decelleration mobilities, so they push the mech into stirker role. It will be a mech for strike and retreat, mostly poking with the JJ's
The 3E arms should have gotten some HP quirks and twist rates, to support a more skirmish/brawler role, because less lasers and more coolant means more facetime. And facetime means less surviveability. Therefore some twist quirks and HP quirks would support playing this NVA that way.

But simply thinking more Hardpoints = more firepower was not a good judgement. Yes it's true for some mechs But there is still the break even point where more hardpoints = pointless because tonnage and coolant of a mech can not support that many hardpoints. Especially for many lights and mediums this is getting relevant since they are low on tonnage.

And the simple fact that we do not have any heatquirks is saddening me a bit. Because When clanners have more Strike power, IS could have gotten more coolant for sustained power. This would generate no weapon bias, because coolant in general works for all guns (except AC 5's and Gauss). But the previous selected wepaon specific heat quirks did bias to specific wepaons. Generalised heatquirks would create more distuingished behaviors between specific mechs. IS generally would have more "Push and keep firing" behavior and most clanners have more "Stirke and cool down" behavior. But its not IS vs clan exclusive. it could help all mechs with bad hardpoints, because basically every mech with "not enough hardpoints" could without Weapon quirks get an improvement and catch up with one having more hardpoints by shooting longer.

SO instead of:
Engery heat -10%
Make it:
Hheat disspiation +10%

Or for some mechs that exceed the striker role too much by too much coolant give negative quirks like:

heat dissipation -10%
Heat treshold -5

look at the DWF vs WHK, the WHK has all those DHS and only a few Hardpoints (comapred to the DWF) yet it can not strike or sustain firepower as good as the DWF. In fact for the tonnage difference, the WHK is in a pitiful state for what it can deliver.

Same would count for an Atlas. you can put an amazing amount of weapons in the DDC, but this also lacks sustained firepower. And compared to the DWF its still "low firepower". Buff the ATlas coolant in general and it will not bias towards a specific wepaonsystem, so the mix of SRM's big AC's and lasrs works fine. But it helps the atlas to catch up Firepower in an engagement. But to prevent "overquirking" of coolant there should be a limit, at which buffing firepowe stops. And then you focus balance on Durability or mobility.

Weapon buffing quirks were not entirely bad, they were just in some cases not chosen well and overdone.

Or another example:
Take a CMD/MLX vs a FS9/ACH. The FS9/ACH can Strike hard. But with some heat negative heat quirks they can not keep the damage. They are now striker mechs.
While the current CMD/MLX still run hot but have less strike power than the other both. A future coolant quirk could make them sustain this firepower longer. This way they get skirmishers as a role. Which probably, if values are chosen right, is a good thing. Of ocurse not trying to tank and skirmish a big mech with AC's, but as light counter vs light strikers, because the strikers can not properly retreat form the skirmishing lights by mobility but get out dps'd by the skirmisher lights.

Edited by Lily from animove, 14 September 2015 - 01:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users