#1 Hondaracer1124

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts
  • Locationdown at the beach, NJ

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:45 PM

What mouse setting do most people run?
Is there a way to set the mouse settings for zoom mode? (World of tanks has this)
Do you need a gaming mouse? Read several threads here, seems you could adjust dpi separate levels of zoom. I have only the mouse that came with the computer, 2 button HP.

Problem seems to moving mouse slight to aim in, let alone hitting a specific area on the mech.

Just not doing damage :(. Feel I'm not helping my team.....

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:51 PM

Set your in game mouse sensitivity to 0.4 or lower. The lower the better. This is a low-sensitivity game. The actual settings depends on your mouse DPI and all that... but the lower the sensitivity, the better. It's "too low" when you can't torso twist from side to side in one motion (which is always true when you have armlock ON, so play with armlock OFF until you learn the game well enough to know what situations armlock is good for.)

#3 Legionary Titus Pullo

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:53 PM

turn mouse sensitivity down at least half (.50) and get a 4 button mouse at least ($30) then you'll be a regular terror on the field :)

#4 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:56 PM

View PostHondaracer1124, on 14 September 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

What mouse setting do most people run?
Is there a way to set the mouse settings for zoom mode? (World of tanks has this)
Do you need a gaming mouse? Read several threads here, seems you could adjust dpi separate levels of zoom. I have only the mouse that came with the computer, 2 button HP.

Problem seems to moving mouse slight to aim in, let alone hitting a specific area on the mech.

Just not doing damage :(. Feel I'm not helping my team.....

First off, go into your game settings and set your mouse sensitivity REALLY low.

That should help. Any fancy settings beyond that require the use of better mice than what you and I are using.

On the other hand, you really don't need a gaming mouse to do well in this game.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,717 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:05 PM

And you can test this in the Practice Field, option available on the The Home page in game.

#6 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:52 AM

A gaming mouse will definitely be better although as mentioned previously, it is not required. If you do get a new mouse, get one that you can adjust the DPI on the fly because the game does not automatically do that when you zoom. After you play with you mouse sensitivity go to the testing grounds and try it out.

Good luck.

#7 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:26 AM

keep in mind that it might not be anything to do with your mouse or sensitivity settings
its highly likely that it is, so try the advice from the guys above
but also look into your video settings

next time your in a match press F9
this will display your frames per second in the top right hand of the screen
red its bad, orange/yellow is kinda ok and green is good
but you want to have a min of 30 fps at pretty much all times 60 is ideal

if your dipping into the red, go to your settings in the menu
video
advanced settings

here you can turn down / off settings to gain you some frames back in your pc is struggling
biggest offenders are

Anti-aliasing
shadows
post processing
particles

if you get to low or off on all those are are still unhappy hit these next
effects
shading
environment

lastly
object detail
texturing

another way to do it is set everything to lowest and slowly turn things up until you get the best balance between looks and frames

also a note, when your testing your frames if you drop into the testing grounds your frames will be way higher than what you get in a normal match , so test in testing grounds and get it nice, then you should be ok in proper matches

lastly
there may be nothing wrong with your settings at all, mouse or video or what ever
this game is super hard, most people come into it thinking that they are a fps god in call of duty so they will smoke this game
wrong, its rare to see new players getting more than 50 damage in their first few weeks , no matter the build or mech or fps experience, its a hard game and takes a lot of practice and patience

dive in and enjoy

*EDIT*
forgot to mention
set your video settings to display as full window
the game / cry engine prefers this method and you will see increases from it
also match your resolution to your desktop settings or if you need to lower it for frames then make sure you choose one with the same aspect ratio

Edited by Naduk, 15 September 2015 - 02:30 AM.

#8 Hondaracer1124

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts
  • Locationdown at the beach, NJ

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:51 AM

WOW , thank you all so much. These forums are such a great resource! Setting to .35 and a couple of graphic settings lower. At least I can contribute now. Naduk, thanks as I don't feel as bad now getting 70 or so. Finally hit over a hundred and stayed alive 3 matches.

Oh boy I'm at 21 to 25 fps even wit the settings as low as possible. This will be a struggle. Is that a hardware / graphic card issue? I think so.......

Edited by Hondaracer1124, 15 September 2015 - 08:09 AM.

#9 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:18 AM

Looks like you were taken care of. Playing at good frame rates can make the difference, by finding the mouse setting for you is very important so continue to make small adjustments. Note I play at 9-16 frames per second, but I have been on the leader boards over the last year for tournaments. One of the changes I made was the mouse settings that allowed me to get better.

Now on a gaming mouse, maybe, but having three or four buttons is sufficient. Truth be told I like to have two for weapons, normally three and sometimes 4 buttons in use. Having two others can be used for arty/airstrikes or uav's. Just for those times you are running, jumping and turning over your target to drop an arty strike at his feet.

#10 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:03 AM

I normally have my mouse sensitivity really high when doing regular work, so I leave it fairly high (0.6) in game as well. The only times I get into trouble are sniping, but...I don't snipe much. I've tried it down as low as 0.3, but I can't move my cursor fast enough to track nearby lights that are trying to dodge, so it is what it is.

#11 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:12 AM

Sensitivity 0.1 with fast torso twisting mechs; 0.2 with slow ones.

And mouse dps at minimum.

o/

#12 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:16 AM

Seems to me PGI should make the default mouse sensitivity be 0.5 instead of 1.0, I don't think anyone has ever kept it at 1.

#13 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:15 PM

You can adjust your settings in training grounds. Try moving, twisting and shooting at the targets there rather than in a live game. Also test out hitting targets in close range while moving and hitting targets at long range. Once you have your ideal setting you can keep it and get back to playing.

#14 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:13 AM

Mouse sensitivity can mean the difference between coring out a superior enemy mech or looking like a lighting rig at a rock concert, spraying lasers everywhere!
What's the point in running the "best" mech/build in the game if you can't hit your targets?! :P

I've just got a new 8 button gaming mouse for £20 (Perixx mx2000II) from Amazon which is a bit overkill tbh.
I'm still getting used to it, but I usually have my game sensitivity at around 0.35 with mouse software giving me the option of switching dpi between 200-2400 at the click of a button during play for sniping/snap shots or easy change of twist rate as I change between light/assault class for different matches.(I'm still tweaking settings)
Also I have found most players set the mouse acceleration slider to zero.
This helped my aim a LOT!

You don't need a fantastic mouse with loads of buttons if you practice aiming on the move and work on hitting specific enemy components.
...but more buttons can help take the load off your keyboard hand ;)

#15 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:52 AM

View PostHondaracer1124, on 15 September 2015 - 07:51 AM, said:

WOW , thank you all so much. These forums are such a great resource! Setting to .35 and a couple of graphic settings lower. At least I can contribute now. Naduk, thanks as I don't feel as bad now getting 70 or so. Finally hit over a hundred and stayed alive 3 matches.

Oh boy I'm at 21 to 25 fps even wit the settings as low as possible. This will be a struggle. Is that a hardware / graphic card issue? I think so.......

It's a mix of MWO being somewhat difficult to run and your own hardware limitations. On your end, just make sure all your settings are at their lowest (which you said you've done) and your drivers are up to date.

Also you may want to familiarize yourself with LRMs, I know a handful of guys with FPS issues go that route and still have a blast.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:01 AM

I normally use "1" with my adjustable mouse. Now I have a wireless mouse and unfortunately it's over sensitive, so I just kicked back to 0.5 and saw some significant improvement.

Mind you, my fps is between 54 and 72 with my computer. FPS will have a lot to do with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users