Pts Targeting Locks & Damage Convergence

5 replies to this topic

#1 Talorien

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:13 AM

One idea I just saw was to have weapon convergence become linked to your lock on. It would be a binary state.

If you lock onto your target, you get what we have now, all weapons focus at the range of the target. If you don't have a lock, then weapons lock/converge onto an imaginary range that is "X" meters in front of you, probably 1000 or perhaps a player defined range in your mech setup.

Right now your weapons converge onto your gunsight range when you have no lock, which moves dynamically as you pan around to point at various terrain and mechs.

That would make lock-ons a hell of a lot more important, and by extension info warfare that much more critical.

It would also make ECM more powerful, so I suggest we really consider nerfing it to just be a lock on delay device, not a lock on prevention device.

This idea from Hans Von Lohman is in reply to the end of Sean Lang's video discussing ideas for making Targetting more important by affecting Weapon Damage:

https://www.youtube....d&v=9FuTH20EUPo

Han's idea is huge because it provides both a believable (in-universe) AND mechanical (non-arbitrary) link between Targeting and Weapon Damage.

It's much better than the 'magic link' (which was just a rough concept introducing the idea of linking the two things) suggested in the vid.

#2 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:16 AM

I like the idea,
but those ECM ACH and the like... gonna be tough to hit if your guns can't focus on em

Would make BAP a damn great thing to have

#3 Talorien

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:18 AM

Just realised the same idea is discussed in another thread:

http://mwomercs.com/...le-its-amazing/

However, it's probably good to keep this thread since the title is a little clearer. Lots of useful discussion in the link above though.

Edited by Talorien, 15 September 2015 - 09:18 AM.

#4 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:29 AM

I've never seen such a positive response to an idea on the forums. Almost everyone seems to be on board with this. cSand makes a great point, targeting ECM lights will be HARD (maybe see how it plays out and nerf appropriately if necessary), but the idea is solid. Would add a lot of game play depth and difficulty without, presumably, being too much of a headache for PGI.

#5 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:30 AM

Need to move this over to the re-balance sub-forum.

#6 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:16 AM

I don't see any type of convergence system being put in place as it has been something requested since CBT and has always been said no to. For more likely to just tie the having targeting data to increased damage or crit chance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users