49 replies to this topic

#41 Jonty Roodnick

Senior Texture Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 18 posts
  • Locationvancouver

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:26 AM

1.) When are unit decals/insignia/logos coming?
we are still working on it. I dont have a date.
2.) Any new camo schemes upcoming?
yes we have a new loyalty pattern that looks like hex plating, we have some new hero mechs coming out that will have unique patterns as well as a new package pattern for the marauder.
3.) When can we have some purchasable skins like the loyalty mechs (a la the AS7/KGC/CN9), or different external components, like the Loyalty Atlas Head?
up coming packages will have some of these features.
4.) When will invasion prime variant clan mechs finally be able to change the tertiary color to something besides dark battleship gray?
the clan invasion as well as all other mechs will get a pass done on them to unlock all basic patterns. Its ambitious but it will be done.

#42 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:59 AM

When can we expect to be able to use camos on our Founders, Phoenix and Invasion mechs?

Follow-up question: What has been the hurdles bringing this feature to MWO?

#43 Jonty Roodnick

Senior Texture Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 18 posts
  • Locationvancouver

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:56 PM

View PostSuko, on 21 September 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

When can we expect to be able to use camos on our Founders, Phoenix and Invasion mechs? Follow-up question: What has been the hurdles bringing this feature to MWO?

The patterns were not initially designed to support basic patterns. Mechs like the atlas now have multiple geometries that need to be supported(founders geo, loyalty geo) each new geometry added would need to be added to existing textures in their UV islands then painted with each pattern that we plan to support (There are 20 basic pattern 6 IS patterns 4 clan patterns).

The Atlas is one mech but there are 40 inner sphere mechs and 17 clan mechs. All mechs have 2 sets of textures one for the main body and one for every weapon and every piece of extra equipment it could possibly have for every variant. Each of these body and variant textures has multiple channels and for skins like the tartan, applejack, cobra and hotrod more than just the color channel has to be modified since they have specialized specular gloss and diffuse channels.

I was the only texture artist at piranha games for a while, so there simply wasn’t enough time for me to work on older mech textures as well as all the mech/heroes/packages we were releasing on a deadline basis but we hired another to help with the workload since then and now we are able to work on some improvements that I’ve wanted to do for a while.

#44 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:22 PM

What is happening with the wave one Invasion (I) mechs ? When can we expect to be able to apply our polygon patterns to them ?

Edit: O.K. I saw the replies so far, but there is no indication you have it underway, or plan to start on them. So the "when" is still unanswered........

Edited by Dirk Le Daring, 21 September 2015 - 05:27 PM.

#45 Superscope

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Victoria

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:29 AM

+1 for high res client, It's 2015 and i see a tons of stuff that would make games from 2010 cry. Make my PC work itself damn it. $2000 bucks and I can't get a good game that causes it to spin and make it loud other than Civ V.

And for the love of all that holy update the mech pilot textures! My gods... they look like they were taken from a game from the early 2000s in terms of visual quality. If you want to all in then how about some faction pilot skins??

PS: this may not be the texture artists fault or area but what's with some of the LoD distances... I'm running maxed out and it looks like i'm looking at something that melted.

#46 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:06 AM

I'm an Indie dev myself. I made it a point to actually look at some of the geometry( and by extension, how the textures were UV mapped.) on map start; mostly when driving an assault.

Not really a big question or anything regrding them, but more like a request for confirmation of my observations:

1.) Some of the rocks seem. Just haphazardly UV mapped. This is visible in Canyon, if I squint at the rocks enough.

2.) When I look at water, I only see a quad with an animated texture on it, scrolling around. No edge detection for foam on the sides. This is evident more on new Forest Colony; near the long canyon rivery spawn.

Again, not trying to be aggressive. Just a request for clarification if that is indeed the case.

As for an actual question...

Any chance Mechs like the Ember Oxide will be allowed to have a pattern that, yknow, actually matters when you change color?

Regardless of what color you pick, an Ember is always this cobalt blue, and an Oxide is a dirty, sooty, something.

#47 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:34 PM

So, the Mauler was great as far as textures were concerned

Posted Image

So who dropped the ball on the Black Knight to allow this?

Posted Image

#48 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:14 PM

Seriously PGI? You do good on the Mauler and then get lazy on the Black Knight? Come on do better.

#49 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:44 PM

View PostLauren Bamlett, on 15 September 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

Nah it'll be fun, lay on the questions!

As a question about the mech patterns, why have the recent hot rod patterns had the flames going from the top down the mech, instead of from the bottom up or from the front to back (as is correct for such a paint scheme, and has been done in the past for other mechs)?

After seeing how this was done for some of the recent mechs I found it extremely confusing, and disappointing. It makes the pattern lose a fair bit of its appeal on these newer chassis.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

#50 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:04 AM

Thank you very much for your questions! The shooting of this Dev Vlog is complete!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users