• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:09 AM

View PostTimberwolf581, on 18 September 2015 - 01:04 AM, said:

I just don't get it.

What's there going to be bad about?

Mauler is Tier 3.

Black Knight has hardpoints that can only be lower by being leg mounted, it'll be inferior to a Grasshopper.

There's little hope the Crab will be better.

The Wolfhound.... meh. Better than a FS9?

#22 Red Shrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:16 AM

I don't get it, what's so bad about low mounted weapons, other than not being able to hill hump and shoot over buildings?

I'm looking forward to the Wolfhound. I kinda hope it won't go the same way as the firestarter.

#23 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:22 AM

View PostTimberwolf581, on 18 September 2015 - 01:16 AM, said:

I don't get it, what's so bad about low mounted weapons, other than not being able to hill hump and shoot over buildings?

I'm looking forward to the Wolfhound. I kinda hope it won't go the same way as the firestarter.

Because it means you can't shoot over obstacles. It means that even things like the low buildings on some maps block them. It means that if I am above or below you, I have to spend a life-changing amount of time getting my weapons over the hill, while presenting my torsos the whole time.

It is absolutely critical. It means you're at a huge disadvantage on most CW maps, it means many pug maps will doom you too.

#24 Red Shrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:34 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 18 September 2015 - 01:22 AM, said:

Because it means you can't shoot over obstacles. It means that even things like the low buildings on some maps block them. It means that if I am above or below you, I have to spend a life-changing amount of time getting my weapons over the hill, while presenting my torsos the whole time.

It is absolutely critical. It means you're at a huge disadvantage on most CW maps, it means many pug maps will doom you too.

Seems to me that map design is to blame. Favoring high mounted weapons over low mounted weapons.

I never really liked the maps to begin with. Apart from Alpine Peaks, that map is awesome.

#25 Karmen Baric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationSarna

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:08 AM

Dont know about load out but doesn't look like a Knight to me, wish it did.

#26 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:27 AM

almost no high mounts. Yet people are still going to say they were let down, or complain, even with all the information available to them before hand. Watch, just watch. It is invariable.

"I expected this, not this!"

Well buddy, we had the artwork to look at, the hardpoints on the wave page, we even had the 3D models to look at, and it didn't take a terrible amount of imagination to think about how it was all going to turn out.

That said, I fully understand if people are disappointed, it's just that some people take it too far, like it's some horrible grievance and they were lied to, even though we've more or less known generally how a mech would perform for months, unless the hitbox and actual 3D model give it a noticeable advantage or disadvantage.

#27 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:42 AM

View PostMoldur, on 18 September 2015 - 04:27 AM, said:

almost no high mounts. Yet people are still going to say they were let down, or complain, even with all the information available to them before hand. Watch, just watch. It is invariable.

"I expected this, not this!"

Well buddy, we had the artwork to look at, the hardpoints on the wave page, we even had the 3D models to look at, and it didn't take a terrible amount of imagination to think about how it was all going to turn out.

That said, I fully understand if people are disappointed, it's just that some people take it too far, like it's some horrible grievance and they were lied to, even though we've more or less known generally how a mech would perform for months, unless the hitbox and actual 3D model give it a noticeable advantage or disadvantage.

Well, the right arm hardpoints are lower than they were in the concept art so, that was a let down.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 18 September 2015 - 06:43 AM.

#28 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:29 AM

It makes me want hard point specific weapon quirks. Like weapons mounted low on the torso could get lower cooldown. With the reasoning being that it's close to the generator in case of energy weapon and it's close to the gyro in case of ballistics. So technobabble, it provides a bonus. Arm mounted, well, technically you do get a better range of movement if you unlock your arms. That's kinda already an advantage. This of course assumes they go with less weapon quirks overall, it would be a more direct advantage to low mounted weapons than their idea of structure and movement quirks.

#29 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:46 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 17 September 2015 - 12:07 PM, said:

But there are 8-9 hardpoints.
This is not a sniper or hill peaker. This is a brawler.

Which will be used as a hill humper almost entirely anyhow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users