• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:48 PM

View PostFupDup, on 17 September 2015 - 07:53 PM, said:

The 7K isn't a missile variant.
Stock build: TBT-7K
That variant doesn't look like an LRM boat to me, or even a missile boat in general.

A point I addressed later in my post. You should have read the full post before replying.

Do you not remember this game's metagame history?
The Trebuchet was poop when it first arrived, always has been poop and always will be. If you delete ECM it will still be lacking.

It didn't get to enjoy the missile splash bug (from what I remember anyway). Trebs with LRMs have had a few moments since then but recent memory has seen an extremely difficult environment for LRMs.

That specific variant of the Trebuchet has always been fine, because as I stated already, it's pretty much a 50 ton Shadowhawk (sans jumpjets).

Also, I didn't say "delete ECM", I said make it MW4-esque.

The Trebuchet was a bottem-tier mech before quirks existed. It was known as the worst medium in the game until the Vindicator came along to contest that title.
Going on a soapbox crusade against quirks won't save the mech, because it's poorly designed at its very core.

I strongly disagree. That initial tiering system was a totally subjective mistake that should never have been used to make official game changes. And the Vindicator would be fine in the current meta if it too had been blessed with super quirks - unfortunately PGI kept the quirks somewhat sensible on the thing.... <_<

In fact, quirks are the only thing that can attempt to counteract a mech's innate design flaws, other than redesigning the mech from the ground up to function nothing like it did in Battletech.

Absolutely untrue and misguided thinking at its core. Design features, not flaws. Trebuchets should be your go-to 'Mech for a 50-ton missile boat. Missile boats right now tend to suck, miserably, and the Trebuchet especially doesn't have the quirks to remain competitive in spite of being a missile platform.

The "unique" variant, the ballistic-minded 7K, was & is as perfectly viable as the Shadowhawk-2H 2xAC-5 & LPL/PPC build was pre-quirks. It does not need quirks to become magically more effective than it is.

And as I suggested, if you removed weapon quirks entirely, fixed ECM, and fixed how LRMs work, you'd be leveling the playing field by a great margin so that 'Mechs like the Trebuchet can have a place again.

View PostDeathlike, on 17 September 2015 - 08:06 PM, said:

I didn't think that was possible, but it's a perfect KO.
He's pro-clan, thus he's oblivious to bad IS mechs.
Would be nice to fix the Raven's leg hitboxes so it wouldn't need more internal structure for the leg, but that's Lostech.

Nonsensical affirmation, an oblivious lie (I own more IS mechs than I do Clan ones), and a gross misinterpretation of the history of the Raven in MWO and the various situations at one time or another that prompted changes with it.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

#22 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostTelmasa, on 17 September 2015 - 09:48 PM, said:

Nonsensical affirmation, an oblivious lie (I own more IS mechs than I do Clan ones), and a gross misinterpretation of the history of the Raven in MWO and the various situations at one time or another that prompted changes with it.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

I dunno, I keep seeing lots of pro-clan stuff from you AND ANYONE can have a vast IS collection over their Clan mechs (because, obvious numbers).

The Raven is more complex, but the "legacy feature" of having hitboxes greater than the actual model when most of the nerfs surrounding the Raven have diminished (CT seeking Streaks being #1), it's now just one of the easier Lights to leg.

Additionally, a lot of people don't seem to know how to leg a Light mech even single time that comes up (Firestarter and Arctic Cheetah for starters).

#23 Telmasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:27 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 18 September 2015 - 09:09 AM, said:

I dunno, I keep seeing lots of pro-clan stuff from you AND ANYONE can have a vast IS collection over their Clan mechs (because, obvious numbers).

Pro-clan? How on earth do you come to that conclusion?

My stances have been anti-consumables & anti-quirks, and FubDub here himself was upset when I stood up for the Light Fusion Engine idea for IS 'Mechs.

IS 'Mechs don't need magic powers to be competitive. They can be assymetrically equal to Clan 'Mechs: better heat sustainability, better durability, cheaper, and 'Mech designs better suited for specialized roles (i.e. Jagermech's high ballistic arm mounts compared to the Cauldron Born, which either gets 1 high torso mount [at the cost of increasing the size of the side torso hitbox considerably] or two far out & down a bit in the arms).

Clan advantages ostensibly are speed, range, generic versatility, and higher damage (translated into lighter tonnage if damage is the same).

To me, the advantages of each can balance each other out without any "magic blessing" type of solution. Mechwarrior ought to be a game of trade-offs. That's what I hope this balance pass ultimately accomplishes.

The Raven is more complex, but the "legacy feature" of having hitboxes greater than the actual model when most of the nerfs surrounding the Raven have diminished (CT seeking Streaks being #1), it's now just one of the easier Lights to leg.

Additionally, a lot of people don't seem to know how to leg a Light mech even single time that comes up (Firestarter and Arctic Cheetah for starters).

I recall the leg hitbox being reduced since then. And, since the hitreg fix, perhaps it might deserve another fix, but I myself have really not noticed Ravens being legged more often than any other light 'Mech since that point.

The answer to how to leg a Light mech is pretty simple, really - get a good hardwired low-ping internet connection. :P
I haven't seen any Firestarter rant threads in recent months, and the Arctic Cheetah ones are dying out somewhat after the quirk nerf it got.

At any rate, the Raven's legs seem fine to me with or without structure quirks - it seems about as survivable as it ought to be for a light 'Mech that can't [usually] jump. It's been awhile since I took my Raven-3L out for a spin, maybe I'll do that this weekend.

#24 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:26 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 18 September 2015 - 09:27 PM, said:

Pro-clan? How on earth do you come to that conclusion?

My stances have been anti-consumables & anti-quirks, and FubDub here himself was upset when I stood up for the Light Fusion Engine idea for IS 'Mechs.

IS 'Mechs don't need magic powers to be competitive. They can be assymetrically equal to Clan 'Mechs: better heat sustainability, better durability, cheaper, and 'Mech designs better suited for specialized roles (i.e. Jagermech's high ballistic arm mounts compared to the Cauldron Born, which either gets 1 high torso mount [at the cost of increasing the size of the side torso hitbox considerably] or two far out & down a bit in the arms).

Clan advantages ostensibly are speed, range, generic versatility, and higher damage (translated into lighter tonnage if damage is the same).

To me, the advantages of each can balance each other out without any "magic blessing" type of solution. Mechwarrior ought to be a game of trade-offs. That's what I hope this balance pass ultimately accomplishes.

Name an IS mech that w/o quirks would be good. Be honest with your answer here.

I recall the leg hitbox being reduced since then. And, since the hitreg fix, perhaps it might deserve another fix, but I myself have really not noticed Ravens being legged more often than any other light 'Mech since that point.

The answer to how to leg a Light mech is pretty simple, really - get a good hardwired low-ping internet connection. :P
I haven't seen any Firestarter rant threads in recent months, and the Arctic Cheetah ones are dying out somewhat after the quirk nerf it got.

At any rate, the Raven's legs seem fine to me with or without structure quirks - it seems about as survivable as it ought to be for a light 'Mech that can't [usually] jump. It's been awhile since I took my Raven-3L out for a spin, maybe I'll do that this weekend.

Cite your reference of when they adjusted the leg hitbox on the Raven.

I don't recall one.

#25 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:30 PM

Enjoy it while it lasts. Pretty soon, those weapon quirks will be gone and the Trebuchet will probably get some bonus long range sensors and leg structure quirks :D

#26 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:34 PM

View PostTristan Winter, on 18 September 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

Enjoy it while it lasts. Pretty soon, those weapon quirks will be gone and the Trebuchet will probably get some bonus long range sensors and leg structure quirks :D

In other words, being back to useless, as is still the case.

Oh fail bucket.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users